Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title, going to get a dropper to go on a bike I'm building. I've never owned one before...but ridding a few buddies bikes that had them.

Is there a buyers guide to droppers? Price seems to vary wildly and I can't really tell what the difference is in all of them (other than some are cable actuated, vs hydro actuated, vs lever actuated).

Maybe it's less of a guide but more of a which one(s) are recommended?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I just found the BikeYoke Revive. I'll look at the others.

One other question I have is how do you know which size to get - I assume you would fit the bike with a fixed post to see how high you typically ride...then find the dropper that has (hopefully) enough travel to completely slam down to the frame - as in the collar of the dropper is fully inserted and resting on the seat post clamp??

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts

One other question I have is how do you know which size to get - I assume you would fit the bike with a fixed post to see how high you typically ride...then find the dropper that has (hopefully) enough travel to completely slam down to the frame - as in the collar of the dropper is fully inserted and resting on the seat post clamp??
I recall seeing a link last year when I was poking around. Shows how to gauge the travel within the seat post so you know the limits. I just fool around with a few key word search's and have some luck that way. If I bump into something soon, I'll update here and add the link/s.

*ADDED-
pnw (last) has a video

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-How-To-Choose-a-Dropper-Seat-Post,1496

https://bikerumor.com/2018/02/01/su...termine-what-dropper-post-will-fit-your-bike/

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/blogs/news/5-simple-dropper-measurement-steps

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll keep it simple...

Look at OneUp Components, PNW, or BikeYoke Revive.

Pass on RockShox Reverb.
I would add 9point8 to this list, I had good results with them. And don't kill me for this, but I also have a bike that came with a BrandX dropper, and it's still going strong. For $125, it's not a bad way to try the whole dropper thing out.

Yeah, you have two measurements to look at. First the overall length of the post... check this against your frame (where the seat tube begins to bend, or where bottle cage bolts intrude into the tube) to make sure you have enough room to put the post in and get your saddle where you want it. Then you look at the measurement from the bottom of the collar to the saddle, which again has to allow you to set your saddle low enough for you to pedal. Too long a dropper in either of these measurements won't work for ya.

And of course get an internally routed post if your frame allows it; external if it doesn't.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ yeah. Critical is that at full extension the saddle is at your optimal pedaling height. Then figure from that how much drop you can fit below that as limited by stanchion collar hitting the seat post clamp and available max insertion depth. With drop, the more the merrier, but even moderate amounts (100mm) can be very useful.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I have a brandX, and its going on its second season.

At this point, no way in hell would I spend more than ~$125 on a dropper. This post flat out works. You may not love the lever, but even high end droppers have questionable levers. Replacements are out there.

It has all the features of any dropper out there. Internal and external routing, 150mm of drop. Different sizes. Reliable. Light, etc.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Huh. So it's not just me. I have a BrandX and a Revive.... while I like the Revive better because there's no movement in the saddle, it feels a bit smoother, it looks a bit smoother... the BrandX just keeps on going up and down. The remote feels fine to me too. I've always thought I'll upgrade it when it starts to have issues... but man this thing just keeps on rollin'.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Everyone is basically going to recommend the one that they like. Read reviews and make your judgement from there.

I think in the end...the dropper just need to move up and down reliably. You don't necessarily need an expensive one to achieve that.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Did PNW start making their own posts? They used to be rebranded BrandXs.

I think I remember them saying the new Bachelor is made by PNW now.

But, like above BrandX, OneUp or Revive. They range from ~$150-$400, respectively.
True, many of the PNW posts are rebranded, but they're beginning to make their own now.

The thing about PNW is even though the posts are very reliable, they have ridiculously good customer service in the unlikely event of a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

At this point, no way in hell would I spend more than ~$125 on a dropper. This post flat out works. You may not love the lever, but even high end droppers have questionable levers. Replacements are out there.

It has all the features of any dropper out there. Internal and external routing, 150mm of drop. Different sizes. Reliable. Light, etc.
I would be on a BrandX if they had a post with more than 150mm drop when I bought my OneUp. I got one when they first came out. My OneUp has been fine. My Reverb was okay, but went to crap. After having a 170mm, I think I would better served with a 150mm. The reliability of BrandX from what I have read about and saving a $100 bill would make me choose it over anything else. I tend to use my post either up or down, so if it does while riding, it'll be just fine for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did PNW start making their own posts? They used to be rebranded BrandXs.

I think I remember them saying the new Bachelor is made by PNW now.

But, like above BrandX, OneUp or Revive. They range from ~$150-$400, respectively.
brandx, oneup, pnw, probably any other seatpost in that price range, are all made by tranzx. I just got a reverb with my new frame, and I'd swear it's made by them too. It's almost exactly the same as the brandx 150mm dropper, but slightly sloppier.

https://stravaigingmtb.com/2017/11/27/so-who-the-hell-made-this-dropper-post

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I'm trying to figure out is which one doesn't (or very little) end up with play or slop? I rode a couple of my buddies (I don't know what brand they were) but they wiggled and it was annoying...so much so that I'd rather not have a dropper if they wiggle around like that.

I'm between the Bike Yoke Revive, OneUp, and PNW

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
brandx, oneup, pnw, probably any other seatpost in that price range, are all made by tranzx. I just got a reverb with my new frame, and I'd swear it's made by them too. It's almost exactly the same as the brandx 150mm dropper, but slightly sloppier.

https://stravaigingmtb.com/2017/11/27/so-who-the-hell-made-this-dropper-post
TranzX, yes that is the manufacturer who I named as BrandX. According to that post and the thread here makes me doubt that the OneUp is a TranzX rebrand. The actuator, remote and other pieces do not match. However, when OneUp announced their post they did say they sourced the cartridge for it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What I'm trying to figure out is which one doesn't (or very little) end up with play or slop? I rode a couple of my buddies (I don't know what brand they were) but they wiggled and it was annoying...so much so that I'd rather not have a dropper if they wiggle around like that.

Maybe ask your wallet? The Revive is considered the smoothest amd bestest by the owners, $400. OneUp kind of shook up the game, their modus operandi, with more drop and short stack and it's a good post and the aluminum remote fixed their compositie remote problems, $220-$250. PNW claims a great lever (as does wolftooth) and the Bachelor is now their own new design, $300. And BrandX/TranzX is the new Gravity Dropper with reliability in their clutches, $130-$185. All of these can be had with 150-170mm of drop and some with more. All the prices I used were grossed up to include a remote if they are separate.

·
Registered
513 Posts

If you mean wiggle side-to-side of the saddle, the Bike Yoke has no slop. Neither does a 9Point8. In my experience with a Fox Transfer and a BrandX, these both have some wiggle.

I read somewhere, maybe the Fox user manual, that the wiggle is due to a design that drops the stanchion by way of sliding notched columns below the post's collar. The Revive (and I assume 9Point8) use a different system, which eliminates it. Gotta pay to play with those two posts though.

What happened to 9Point8, by the way? When I bought one two years ago, everyone agreed it was the best... today they are less expensive, and have updates. No one puts it in the top 3?

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
They all go sloppy, and all can be rebuilt to remove slop.

The brandx uses the same internals as the pro koryak dropper. About 15 bucks for the seal and bushing kit.

Expect slop after a couple season, just replace the keys and youre good.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.