Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking a trip to Bend Aug. 1st - 4th. That gives me two decent days to ride while I'm there. I have a local friend that was supposed to ride with me but he's currently recuperating from pneumonia and it doesn't look like he'll be able to do much riding while I'm there. Just checking to see if anybody might be up for a 3-5 hour ride (10-20mi, up to moderately technical XC) on either Mon or Tues, preferebly higher up (heat?). I'm not the fastest guy on two wheels but I do all right. I've got a wagon with two trays (could take two additional peeps w/me) and I'll pay for gas. Other suggestions, offers, etc... would be appreciated. Thanks to Nat for his suggestions via e-mail!

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
guyplaysbass said:
I'll be taking a trip to Bend Aug. 1st - 4th. That gives me two decent days to ride while I'm there. I have a local friend that was supposed to ride with me but he's currently recuperating from pneumonia and it doesn't look like he'll be able to do much riding while I'm there. Just checking to see if anybody might be up for a 3-5 hour ride (10-20mi, up to moderately technical XC) on either Mon or Tues, preferebly higher up (heat?). I'm not the fastest guy on two wheels but I do all right. I've got a wagon with two trays (could take two additional peeps w/me) and I'll pay for gas. Other suggestions, offers, etc... would be appreciated. Thanks to Nat for his suggestions via e-mail!
Hey Guy,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride on monday or tuesday, both because of work and because we had another baby last week and we're dealing with the change. It's pretty hot right now, in the mid-80's to low 90's by afternoon, so I'd definitely go up higher. Either that or ride early when it's still in the 60's. You might try paging Todd ("tberg") to see if he wants to go. Have a good time!

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the pneumonia might explain why he crapped out so soon the last time we rode. I'm thinking of heading up to Cultus Lake or maybe a spin around Mt. Bachelor. I suppose we'll see... I'll try getting in touch with Todd too. Once again, thanks. Oh! Congrats on the little one. I'm actually getting rid of mine while I'm there which means I get to ride!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Nat said:
Hey Guy,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride on monday or tuesday, both because of work and because we had another baby last week and we're dealing with the change. It's pretty hot right now, in the mid-80's to low 90's by afternoon, so I'd definitely go up higher. Either that or ride early when it's still in the 60's. You might try paging Todd ("tberg") to see if he wants to go. Have a good time!
Congrat's on the new baby Nat. Truly good news for your family. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
guyplaysbass said:
Yeah, the pneumonia might explain why he crapped out so soon the last time we rode. I'm thinking of heading up to Cultus Lake or maybe a spin around Mt. Bachelor. I suppose we'll see... I'll try getting in touch with Todd too. Once again, thanks. Oh! Congrats on the little one. I'm actually getting rid of mine while I'm there which means I get to ride!
Did you get rained on today?

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my!

Hey there guys, I just got back a short while ago. Sorry not to have replied or tried to look anybody up but I was without computer access my whole stay. In any case, OMFG!!! :eek: I had the most incredible time riding over there! After the rain on Monday I took my sick friend up to the DRT by Lava Island. Well... he crapped out after about 20min or so and we were both eaten alive by mosquitos. Due to the rains there was almost zero dust so on Tues evening I ran "solo" out to Phil's Trail Complex.

After examining my map (and asking a few locals) I decided to head up Kents and see how I felt once I hit the upper FS road where it turns into Phils Trail on the map. That was probably one of the cleanest, nicest, fastest climbs on singletrack I've ever had the pleasure of doing. I didn't quite feel up to the 4mi of BD on the map so I took a right at the FS road and was going to head back down Bens when I ran into a couple who just came down Whoops. They said it was well worth the additional climb and that if I didn't do it right now I could never die a peaceful death because it really is the best goddamn section of trail in the known world..... period!

Well... they were spot on. That little section of trail was so much flipping fun that I was literally laughing out loud! There was twice that I had enough air time (due to speed alone) that I nearly didn't make my landing on the trail. The rest of the trip down Bens/Voodoo was pretty darn sweet to boot. I finished off the night with a few half-hearted trips down the slalom play loop. My hands were a little fatigued and I didn't want to mess up any of the hard work put into it so I just rolled through twice. That's going to be absolutely screamin when they get it done!

Whilst cramming a bananna in my pie whole I added up the approx 15 miles I did in about 3 hours (no computer yet). I was thoroughly pleased. So pleased in fact that I think I need to plan another trip for next month! You guys are darn lucky to have that much nice riding so close at hand. I envy you all! Maybe next time I'll give a little more advance notice and see if we could hook up a ride with a few peeps. Thanks for the tips and double thanks for the trails! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts