Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
JeffcoHo
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the temp forcasted to be int he 50's today and 60's this weekend I want to get out and ride. I am most likely going to go out Sunday. Is the Denver area front range going to still be loaded with snow or wet to ride?

I have not ridden the Air Forces trails. Is it more AM or XC?

Thanks and have a good one this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
JeffcoHo said:
So with the temp forcasted to be int he 50's today and 60's this weekend I want to get out and ride. I am most likely going to go out Sunday. Is the Denver area front range going to still be loaded with snow or wet to ride?

I have not ridden the Air Forces trails. Is it more AM or XC?

Thanks and have a good one this weekend.
I think the AFA is going to be too sloppy to ride this weekend. We had a fair bit of snow on the ground and it's going to be really warm so there will be lots of melt.

Come down later in the spring. BTW, it's more of an XC ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
White Ranch is going to be sloppy mess too. The trails won't be ready yet this weekend. You could find some dirt roads and ride them though. There is even a thread floating around on the first page asking for good dirt road suggestions.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I know you're all gonna laugh when I suggest this but here goes: Bear Creek Lake Park (I know, concrete bike paths) is a great alternative to sloppy muddy singletrack. And you can combine that with hammering up the I-70 frontage road from Morrison up to Green Mountain (which will also be a muddy mess). Not too much traffic there but a nice steady climb to do intervals on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
xcguy said:
I know you're all gonna laugh when I suggest this but here goes: Bear Creek Lake Park (I know, concrete bike paths) is a great alternative to sloppy muddy singletrack. And you can combine that with hammering up the I-70 frontage road from Morrison up to Green Mountain (which will also be a muddy mess). Not too much traffic there but a nice steady climb to do intervals on.
No laughing. Bear Creek can be very fun at this time of year. Perfect for the SS. But I doubt even that will be snow-free and mudless this weekend. I've still got a foot of snow at my house in Golden and I drive by BC and GM on my commute every day. They still have a ton of snow. Like I said, it's gonna be a good weekend for a road ride. If we're dry and warm all next week, then I'd guess those two options will be good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
kjbike said:
Easy answer, night ride after things freeze back up. I may do a couple of AFA laps tonight, tomorrow, and/or Sunday.
Technically, that isn't legal to be out in the AFA after dark (without special permission) in case anyone else is reading this thread.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
I'm here to post in this very important thread:

Judging by the 2' plus snow drifts we hike/pushed through on Green Mountain last night, and how much snow there still is on the ground in Golden near my house... I'm in agreeance with everyone else: even if we DO get temps in the 50's for a couple of days, it ain't gonna be enough to melt everything off AND dry it out.

If the City (City of) Lakewood plowed the fire road on Green Mountain (we didn't get over that far to check it out) then it's POSSIBLE it would be rideable, but even at that I give it a pretty low chance (<10% ?) of being good to go.

Reporterkyle said:
...it's gonna be a good weekend for a road ride.
Don't any of you people SKI? :D

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,443 Posts
Full Trucker said:
<snip>

If the City (City of) Lakewood plowed the fire road on Green Mountain (we didn't get over that far to check it out) then it's POSSIBLE it would be rideable, but even at that I give it a pretty low chance (<10% ?) of being good to go.
Yeah - I'd rule out even that road if they plow it. It's a sticky mess when it's defrosting. I learned my lesson back in '94-ish.
Don't any of you people SKI? :D
I'm with stupid ^^

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.