Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6 ft., 240 lbs. I currently ride an Ellsworth Distance but I'm going to sell it and go with a 29er. I'm looking for a 29er that has minimal bottom bracket flex (lateral). I HATE BB flex !!! Any suggestions? I would prefer steel but I'd go with aluminum if necessary.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
Welcome to the party..

I don't know if there is a bike that you can't flex laterally with enough force... :eek:

However, flex is nice if it is minimal and doesn't interfere with the ride, imo.

How much do you plan to spend?

R.

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,205 Posts
Monocog is steel frame. $900 for entire bike including disc brakes.

Not sure about BB flex tho. I'm 230lbs and it seems OK to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am 6 foot tall and weigh 200 lbs. I have a Gary Fisher X-Caliber. Bought it new for 1500 bucks. Frame is very Strong and I feel no flex and I ride pretty hard. Has good mix of components, Sram X-7, Avid Dics brakes. Wheels are a little week but if your ride knowing that you should be ok. I see these on ebay for under a 1000 bucks alot. You will want a large frame. You should see if you could demo one first. Some people don't like Gary Fishers Genesis geometry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$3,000 is my spending limit. I understand that there will be some frame flex but I hate it when it flexes so much that I can get the front derailleur to rub the chain why pedalling.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I see a Ventana in your future...

...Ain't a more laterally stiff frame on the Planet -- be it an FS or hardtail.

EAT said:
$3,000 is my spending limit. I understand that there will be some frame flex but I hate it when it flexes so much that I can get the front derailleur to rub the chain why pedalling.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok that was my problem with my Gary Fisher. The front der rubs the rear tire when really peddling hard. I put some better wheels and a set of kenda Nevagal tires on the bike and the tire wouldn't even clear the front der at all. I am now riding a Intense spider 29 with all of the components from the X-Cal I was riding. The spider frame is 2000 bucks plus parts so might be too much. 4" rear and 4" front with my REBA set to 100mm. Super smooth and no flex at all.
I have read all of the 29er reviews on this sight and you might do the same to see what others have said about their own bikes. Niner makes super bikes in your price range and salsa bikes are well liked. I think wheel strength should be high on your list being a big guy

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I own a Distance too. Loving my 29er though and the Ell's has been collecting dust for the last 8 months.

If you want a solid FS with minimal lateral flex, I can say I had a chance to ride the Turner Sultan this weekend and it blew me away. Definitely minimal flex and a solid feel to the ride. Much less lateral flex than the Distance that is for sure. Super smooth buttery travel as well. Felt like I was cruising a 8" travel bike in the DH's and a billy goat on the climbing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
hizzity said:
I am 6'4 and 260 I ride haro mary ss and I think there is very little flex. they put on a big 31.6 seattube what helps it to be stiffer. I love mine.
I agree ( as I mentioned in the clyde forum on this x post) I ride a Mary XC 20 inch, and the oversized seat tube does stiffen up the bb .( I am 6'4 and go 290 after a 40 mile ride) I can roll a chain off my GF Sugar ( 26inch) cranking the big ring out of the saddle, But the Mary keeps on truckin. It is the only 29'r in the stable so far, but I do have a Sugar 292 on its way as well in the next month or so Ventana does a try a bike program with local shops as well as Haro, it may cost a deposit, but you do get credit if you buy... may be worth looking into to try before you buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.