Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Hope I can get some tips.....I am going to switch to a 2 x 9 setup and heres what I was thinking about doing.....

running a 22/36 t upfront (I have an xt crank up front, just going to swap out middle ring for 36T)
getting a chain guard in place of big ring (need suggestions)
running a SRAM X-9 short cage in the rear.

Is there anything here I am missing? Or should be looking for?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sounds good as long as the cassette range, and the total range (sum of the teeth to be taken up) are both within the capacity of the RD. Make sure not to cut the chain too short, since effective chainstay length often changes as the swing arms move.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Here is a link to some good inexpensive bash guards.
http://www.bbgbashguard.com/
What cassette do you plan on running?
I like the sram PG990.11-34.
Also, if you are going to run a 36 up front, you might wanna think about going with a medium cage, especially if it is a full suspension bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. I plan on running a Sram 11-34 PG990 as well. I have an xtr front derailler.

I really wanted to run a short cage, will I be able to do this with this setup, or will I have to go medium cage?

Also, whats the best way to make sure the chain is the right length, any tips on that?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on what brand chainrings I should buy if I switched to a 2 x 9? I'm thinking of going with something like a 39/29 set-up.

(I currently have the standard Shimano XTR crankset, 44/32/22, so I'd need to fit the two chainrings on that crankset and I would want them to be lightweight).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.