Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering getting a shorter stem for my ride. Im currently riding a 105 5 degree stem, and am considering a 60 or 80 mm 10 degree stem.

How will the change from 105 to the shorter stems feel?

Im guessing the bike will be more responsive to steering input, and I'll be more upright on the bike, but how will affect my ballance? will I be able to put ample pressure on the front wheel to prevent washout?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hate short stems

Zonk0u said:
I've been considering getting a shorter stem for my ride. Im currently riding a 105 5 degree stem, and am considering a 60 or 80 mm 10 degree stem.

Im guessing the bike will be more responsive to steering input, and I'll be more upright on the bike, but how will affect my ballance? will I be able to put ample pressure on the front wheel to prevent washout?
I think such a change will make steering less responsive. You'll have to steer more with your upper body, vs the more intuitive "steer from the hips" effect one gets from a long stem.
Yeah you'll also have less weight on the front wheel, and when climbing you'll have to contort your body to keep the wheel down to the effect you'll look like a monkey attempting carnal knowledge with a football.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
forget the rise

Zonk0u said:

i've found that to get the best adjustment using a stem with no rise. IMO i'd go with a 100/0 stem. if you need to raise or lower the level of the bars do it with the spacers.

·
Premium Member
7,259 Posts
The first question I have is, why do you want to go to a shorter stem? Do you feel to stretched out? Do you feel like the bars are to low? Do you have trouble descending? What kind of bike are you riding? How tall are you? What size bike is it? Straight or setback seatpost? How much drop to the bars? What type of riding do you do?

I ask all these, because they are very relevant to how you want the bike setup. If you are a cross country rider on a Santa Cruz Superlight, I would really question why you want to go shorter with such a short toptube. If you are a downhill racer on a Turner DHR, I would be wondering why you have such a long stem on a downhill bike.

Just as a general comment, going from a 105 to a 80mm stem is a huge jump. Just by going from a 5 to a 10 degree rise with the same length stem, you will shorten the reach by 5mm. I would suggest you try a 90mmx10 rise stem and scoot your seat forward 1cm to maintain balance before going shorter.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking of switching shorter because I feel too spread out on the bike. I wouldnt mind feeling more upright, and frankly the main reason Im switching is because of some trouble Im having with manuals, wheelies, and the way my weight distribution feels "off" (as in too far forward) in the air. The stem and handlebar height feels perfect.

this is what I ride.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Zonk0u said:
Im thinking of switching shorter because I feel too spread out on the bike. I wouldnt mind feeling more upright, and frankly the main reason Im switching is because of some trouble Im having with manuals, wheelies, and the way my weight distribution feels "off" (as in too far forward) in the air. The stem and handlebar height feels perfect.
Do it.

I think 60 is quite short, I'd try an 80 first. But, that is all personal preference. Make sure you get a stem that has some rise to it if you are happy with your current bar height. If you go with a 0 degree rise, you'll have to add spacers to get the height back up to where it is. That would be impossible to do unless you currently have excess steerer tube above your stem (does not look like it).

It's not going to magically make you the wheelie king overnight but a shorter stem will put you in a better position / better control for wheelies and manuals.

Likewise if you are feeling too far forward... obviously a shorter stem will put your weight back a little bit.

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
The other thing that you have to watch out for is your kneecaps. :eek: I assume from your other postings that the type of riding you are doing is agressive trail and HT FR. In this case kneecap-to-handlebar clearance while standing and mashing the pedals is gonna be key. Can you go 40mm shorter and still have knee room?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zonk0u said:
we'll find out :D I just ordered a clearance stem from jenson lastnight for $17 60mm 10 degree rise.
It's not going to magically make you the wheelie king overnight but a shorter stem will put you in a better position / better control for wheelies and manuals.
Yah I realize this, Im already fairly good at it, but I just seem to have a little trouble getting up on the wheel sometimes without a pedal kick. I figure the wider the vector is between my weight, the ballance point, and the bikes weight, the easier it will be to keep the three nice and ballanced. It may turn out that it's too much and I wash the front all over the place, but that may just take adjustment to my riding style and for $17 it's worth the trial and error. Thanks for the helpful feedback. :)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
might be too much.

Zonk0u said:
Yah I realize this, Im already fairly good at it, but I just seem to have a little trouble getting up on the wheel sometimes without a pedal kick. I figure the wider the vector is between my weight, the ballance point, and the bikes weight, the easier it will be to keep the three nice and ballanced. It may turn out that it's too much and I wash the front all over the place, but that may just take adjustment to my riding style and for $17 it's worth the trial and error. Thanks for the helpful feedback. :)
I run a 60mm freeride stem and if you go that short you will notice that going uphill the front tire will wander quite a bit especially on the steeps. It takes some getting used to. Going downhill and over jumps etc is where you will notice the benefits. You will be in a better riding position for agressive terrain with a shorter stem. If you feel too stretched out I would try a 90mm first. This is a good length for "all mountain" riding and not as much of a compromise as going to a 60mm or shorter.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ronny said:
I run a 60mm freeride stem and if you go that short you will notice that going uphill the front tire will wander quite a bit especially on the steeps. It takes some getting used to. Going downhill and over jumps etc is where you will notice the benefits. You will be in a better riding position for agressive terrain with a shorter stem. If you feel too stretched out I would try a 90mm first. This is a good length for "all mountain" riding and not as much of a compromise as going to a 60mm or shorter.
well I got the stem today, and it's too tall for my fork tube. so tall in fact, that the bolt that tensions the headset wouldnt even thread. :( Bummer, Looks like I'll have to return it and find something else. Do stems like this design generally run thinner?

Or am I just gonna have to head to the bike shop and size one to fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts