Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Advanced Slacker
15,402 Posts
mtnlyon said:
Just the build. I have all stuff. $30/wheel? $50/wheel? More?
Good to know before I start calling around.
I've always paid between 35-45$. The $45 was at a shop in Tahoe, so I'm guessing that is why it's more there. In VA it is around $35, except for one place that wants $60!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, for $50+ per wheel I would rather buy truing stand and a dishing tool and do it myself. It sorta looks like fun to me, and would be a great thing to learn, build wheels for friends, etc.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
mtnlyon said:
See, for $50+ per wheel I would rather buy truing stand and a dishing tool and do it myself. It sorta looks like fun to me, and would be a great thing to learn, build wheels for friends, etc.
Don't forget spoke prep, misc tools and all that. It adds up quickly. But still, a fun thing to do if you have the time.

As I don't have a lot of extra time, I prefer to have wheels built by a top notch builder (like Larry @ Mtn. High, or Steve @ GravyWheels) and have them trued up as necessary (about 1x per year).

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
it's not that hard...

I've now built 3. The first took 8 hours (I pulled it apart because I couldn't see Hadley though the valve stem) and just general confusion regarding pushing and pulling directions and disc hubs, the next 5 hours, and a couple of days ago 3 hours for a King/Dt Swiss 4.2D. I'm slow and methodical which is good for this application but I'd get fired in a hurry as a wrench at a shop.

On the other hand, if your used to making a decent wage at your regular job then $50 doesn't seem too much for a hand-built wheel. Unless you bought the hubs, rims and spokes from the LBS at full retail then perhaps they should throw in the labor:skep:

I found Mike T's and Sheldon Brown's websites and info EXTREMELY helpul:thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
We charge $35 in labor plus any parts that are needed... But I'll second the notion of DIY. I just built up a set of wheels with used XTR hubs and dt revo spokes onto maveric rims. Was a great little project. Just made a fire out back, bought a 12pack one night and laced them up.

Of course, without the proper tools like a dish stick and spoke tensionometer its hard to tell how well you've done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.