Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to go over logs and big roots on my hardtail without too many problems, however with my new Stumpy FSR, every time I go over built up logs or even over anything that sticks off the ground more than 6 inches, I seem to hit the obstacle with the pedals, causing me to crash.

Any tips?

I'm not good enough at bunnyhopping yet to where I can jump over the obstacles with confidence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah, keep your pedals at 9 and 3. when you're approaching it just pop your front wheel up a little bit and get it on top of the object. then lean forward and take some weight off the back wheel, lift it up a little if you can, and you should just roll right over it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
martynda said:
I used to be able to go over logs and big roots on my hardtail without too many problems, however with my new Stumpy FSR, every time I go over built up logs or even over anything that sticks off the ground more than 6 inches, I seem to hit the obstacle with the pedals, causing me to crash.

Any tips?

I'm not good enough at bunnyhopping yet to where I can jump over the obstacles with confidence.
http://www.adksportsfitness.com/april2004/columns/mtb.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have my feet at 3 and 9, but something changed, now I just instinctively pedal for some odd reason and end up hitting the log. That link is really helpfull too, now all I have to do is get the balls to lean forward while on top of the log.

Practice, practice, practice.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
martynda said:
I used to have my feet at 3 and 9, but something changed, now I just instinctively pedal for some odd reason and end up hitting the log. That link is really helpfull too, now all I have to do is get the balls to lean forward while on top of the log.

Practice, practice, practice.
Instead of leaning forward, hop up and push the handlebar forward, moving the bike under you. This way, when you rear wheel rolls over the log, your weight is back and your're ready to roll off without an endo (when rolling a bigger log).

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey, that helps me too, guess messege board help more than one person at a time (thats what thir 4!) the only problem, is again like he said, getting the balls to do this!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
martynda said:

Any tips?

is your big chainring getting stuck in the log?
if so ditch it for a bash guard like the e.13 supercharger

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you cant bunny and dont have "the balls" to lean over the log work with what you're doing now: when you get to a log (smaller than 18" or you'll need to lean forward anyway) make sure that one of your pedals is at the bottom of your rotation then lean back a bit and give the pedals a good kick as you would for a wheely this will get your front wheel over the obstacle - then just keep pedaling even if your large cog hits the log- soft wood hasn't hurt a metal cog in my experience- if you do it right and with some speed you'll ride over it as you would any other bump in the trail.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has your speed changed?

Are you going slower on the Stumpy - perhaps because you're less confident on it? What I'm wondering is, could it be that you are slowing way down during the approach, and then keep on pedaling close to the obstacle because you subconsciously know you are going too slow?

If so, then a faster approach - just like you used successfully on your hardtail - should keep you from pedaling and you'll reach the obstacle with your cranks at 9 and 3, just like you did before, and with enough momentum to roll on over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
great advice

i tried the techniques here and at that link given above. very helpful. i was doing these manuevers over 8 inch railroad ties today. worked out great, never fell once, but i did find that i needed to maintain adequate speed to keep balance and remain straight. the video on that link is excellent. thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.