Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad idea?

I have the Totem on my Santa Cruz Nomad and it feels like a bit too much for me. The front end feels a bit too high for my likings and I'm looking for something with less travel.

The Domain 318 has the U-turn option and I'd really like to try something with adjustable travel. I know it has less travel (at the maxed setting), but how does it compare to the Totem? Is it better to go with the Lyric?

Or, is adjustable travel not the way to go? I've read a lot of problems about forks w/ this feature like the Fox Talas.

Any fork recomendations for the Nomad? I'm running the 08 version with a DHX coil in the rear. Looking for less travel and hopefully save some weight.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
bad mechanic said:
The actually u-turn system on the coil Domain and coil Lyric will work the same. The Lyric is a very capable fork.
Yeah, the Lyric is lighter and has better damping - Mission Control vs Motion Control?

·
Registered
558 Posts
JHANguyen said:
Bad idea?

I have the Totem on my Santa Cruz Nomad and it feels like a bit too much for me. The front end feels a bit too high for my likings and I'm looking for something with less travel.

The Domain 318 has the U-turn option and I'd really like to try something with adjustable travel. I know it has less travel (at the maxed setting), but how does it compare to the Totem? Is it better to go with the Lyric?

Or, is adjustable travel not the way to go? I've read a lot of problems about forks w/ this feature like the Fox Talas.

Any fork recomendations for the Nomad? I'm running the 08 version with a DHX coil in the rear. Looking for less travel and hopefully save some weight.
Is your Totem airsprung? If so, you can internally reduce the travel as low as 150mm. I think that the info is on the RS website.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
fsrxc said:
Yeah, the Lyric is lighter and has better damping - Mission Control vs Motion Control?
Mission Control and Motion Control are both very capable damping systems, and if you're talking about the vanilla Motion Control and not the Black Box, then Mission Control is a better system.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Mission Control and Motion Control are both very capable damping systems, and if you're talking about the vanilla Motion Control and not the Black Box, then Mission Control is a better system.
Better or just more adjustable?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
myarmisonfire said:
Is your Totem airsprung? If so, you can internally reduce the travel as low as 150mm. I think that the info is on the RS website.
Actually you can reduce it down as far as you like, however keep in mind that RS does not endorse or support the idea. Initially when the Solo Air was released RS was on board with the idea and even had a spacer kit, however they have since rethought the idea. I have lowered mine to 160mm and have seen some as low as 90, you can make your own spacer out of PVC. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
dascro said:
Better or just more adjustable?
Better. Mission Control has a shimmed rebound circuit, while the standard Motion Control has a port orifice rebound circuit. Mission Control also has a shimmed compression stack once the floodgate opens, but it's debatable if that's useful.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Totem is coil unfortunately.

I'm trying to decide between a uturn Domain and Lyric. I don't mind the extra weight of the Domain, but does the Lyric ride much nicer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts