Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a change would this be?

I have 2018 160mm Pike RTC3. It seems to struggle on fast Blues/Blacks at the bike park or anytime there is extended chatter or medium rock gardens at speed. Fine for most trail riding though. I just feel like I have to grip the bars and hold on for dear life sometimes, and that's scary. The rear of the bike tracks great, and that disconnect between the front and the rear also seems to contribute to the problem. I feel my bike was underspecced, it's 160mm in the rear too. Adjusting air/tokens doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I was looking at Lyrik, but think I'd prefer the suppleness of the DVO, especially because I am not doing jumps/drops a lot, mostly prefer natural DH tracks and natural trail riding. The DVO also seems easier to service/adjust. I thought about coil too, but my weight can change up to 30lbs in a season (180-210), so I definately need air. My friend offered a second hand Diamond, but from what I have read it seems I really want the stiffness of the Onyx and it's a bit more plush.

The rear is a Monarch Debonair. I have no complaints about it, but maybe a Topaz would be an upgrade too?

· Registered
90 Posts

I have 2018 160mm Pike RTC3. It seems to struggle on fast Blues/Blacks at the bike park or anytime there is extended chatter or medium rock gardens at speed. Fine for most trail riding though. I just feel like I have to grip the bars and hold on for dear life sometimes, and that's scary. The rear of the bike tracks great, and that disconnect between the front and the rear also seems to contribute to the problem. I feel my bike was underspecced, it's 160mm in the rear too. Adjusting air/tokens doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I was looking at Lyrik, but think I'd prefer the suppleness of the DVO, especially because I am not doing jumps/drops a lot, mostly prefer natural DH tracks and natural trail riding. The DVO also seems easier to service/adjust. I thought about coil too, but my weight can change up to 30lbs in a season (180-210), so I definately need air. My friend offered a second hand Diamond, but from what I have read it seems I really want the stiffness of the Onyx and it's a bit more plush.

The rear is a Monarch Debonair. I have no complaints about it, but maybe a Topaz would be an upgrade too?
Definitely get the new 2021 Onyx if you can it's miles better than the diamond which is probably closer in chassis stiffness and support to your pike

RE the topaz. They are are bit hit and miss so id skip that personally untill they do the big updates at the end of the year. The Jade X is great but as you said with big weight changes you would likely need 2 springs

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,678 Posts
It's not just slang, it's the fact that 'hit and miss' can be all over the place. A bit more specificity would be good. Long stretch though, from what I've seen so far.

· Registered
117 Posts

When last was the Pike serviced? When last was the damper oil changed and the damper bled? Have you upgraded the damper's lower seal head to the latest low friction seal head? Some 2018 Pikes didn't have the DebonAir air spring i.e. the red lower seal head - is that the case with yours?

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When last was the Pike serviced? When last was the damper oil changed and the damper bled? Have you upgraded the damper's lower seal head to the latest low friction seal head? Some 2018 Pikes didn't have the DebonAir air spring i.e. the red lower seal head - is that the case with yours?
It's been serviced regularly and has a debonair spring. it still sucks

· Registered
27 Posts
I replaced my pike with a d1 diamond, not comparable in any way with rs pike stiffness or performance wise. Dvo is miles ahead especially in the rough stuff and in full charge mode, also replaced a rs sdu with a topaz t3 on my privateer 161, rs sdu was dead feeling and harsh on square edge hits. Dvo tracks the ground and never feels harsh in any situation I've put it through, it eats up rock gardens and is lively when you need to pop aroung the trail. Serviceability and cs of dvo is a big plus, I say go for it

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts

Before you go purchasing an entirely new fork, I would suggest you spend time some making sure your current fork is setup properly and has been serviced recently. While I don't think the Pike is the best fork and would prefer the alternatives from Manitou or DVO, a properly setup Pike should never result in a fork that you have hold on for dear life. If you can give us the following information, it will help in figuring out where you are what can be done to improve the situation without just dropping $800-1000.
  • Bike
  • Fork settings- Pressure, rebound, number of tokens, sag.
  • Shock and settings- Pressure, rebound, volume spacers, sag.
  • Your weight.
  • When you last did a lower service on the fork and air sleeve service on the shock.
  • What you have done in terms of tuning attempts with the fork.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you go purchasing an entirely new fork, I would suggest you spend time some making sure your current fork is setup properly and has been serviced recently. While I don't think the Pike is the best fork and would prefer the alternatives from Manitou or DVO, a properly setup Pike should never result in a fork that you have hold on for dear life. If you can give us the following information, it will help in figuring out where you are what can be done to improve the situation without just dropping $800-1000.
  • Bike
  • Fork settings- Pressure, rebound, number of tokens, sag.
  • Shock and settings- Pressure, rebound, volume spacers, sag.
  • Your weight.
  • When you last did a lower service on the fork and air sleeve service on the shock.
  • What you have done in terms of tuning attempts with the fork.
I've done all this. It still sucks.

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
The new topaz is going to be crazy good. Due end of the year apparently

Probably not till it's released. I was sent it in a dealer document and spoke with DVO last week about it's ETA
This coming from the guy who just stated in another thread: " I don't make stupid claims like "there is no comparison" when I've never even actually compared 2 products".

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
It sounds like you have already made up your mind and just want us to validate your decision. I and others have offered to help get to the root issue, but it appears you are not interested in that.

· Registered
117 Posts
It's been serviced regularly and has a debonair spring. it still sucks
If you have no complaints about the Monarch rear end your assessment of a non-neglected Pike on the other end would not be "it sucks".

Most customers who complain about harshness are unaware that frequent damper servicing is a thing; that overcoming system friction is one third of the battle; and that occasionally dropping the lowers is not, in fact, all it takes to maintain their suspension.

· Registered
12,552 Posts
Tracking and stability issues at speed are damper issues. You can piss around with air springs and spacers until you die of old age and you'll never cure it. Off the top suppleness is not the issue either.

The RCT3 has a firm and dead shim stack. That's why it can't keep up at speed. The RC2 dampers have a really soft shim stack inside with no preload that does better but it's too soft. There is no easy solution, to run enough shim stack the damper needs modified otherwise it gets really harsh.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounds like you have already made up your mind and just want us to validate your decision. I and others have offered to help get to the root issue, but it appears you are not interested in that.
I've literally done all of those things. Played with every setting, serviced the thing multiple times. It doesn't solve the issue. The fork is amazing on trail riding, it however chokes on intermediate chunky terrain at higher speeds. It's clearly the damper like another person explained. The rear suspension handles everything great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.