Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a new bike (Ibis Ripley AF) that came with 35mm rims. I decided to toss a 2.6 Dissector on the front to maximize the 35mm rim and paired it with a 2.4 Rekon on the back. I really like how much confidence the 2.6 provides on descents and it's great through rock gardens and rooty sections, however I've noticed it really drags on flat sections of trails and seems slower through non-technical single track.

My previous bike was a 2014 Niner EMD 9 hardtail where I ran a 2.35 Ikon in the front and a 2.25 Crossmark in the rear so I was used to tires that role really well. Is this new tire/rim setup a case of me not being familiar with a wider tire/rim setup or would going to a 30mm rim with a 2.4 Dissector role noticeably better? If so, how much of a difference would the 2.4 vs a 2.6 be on higher speed descents? Going to a narrower rim and tire would also bring some weight savings that I wouldn't be opposed to.

·
Thicc Member
2,249 Posts
You pretty much covered the disadvantages for fatter tires; this is because of the reduced ground pressure, and sometimes if they have a thinner casing, less casing support with faster rebound. I also prefer 2.6 on the front but I have to live with the disadvantages.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I recently picked up a new bike (Ibis Ripley AF) that came with 35mm rims. I decided to toss a 2.6 Dissector on the front to maximize the 35mm rim and paired it with a 2.4 Rekon on the back. I really like how much confidence the 2.6 provides on descents and it's great through rock gardens and rooty sections, however I've noticed it really drags on flat sections of trails and seems slower through non-technical single track.

My previous bike was a 2014 Niner EMD 9 hardtail where I ran a 2.35 Ikon in the front and a 2.25 Crossmark in the rear so I was used to tires that role really well. Is this new tire/rim setup a case of me not being familiar with a wider tire/rim setup or would going to a 30mm rim with a 2.4 Dissector role noticeably better? If so, how much of a difference would the 2.4 vs a 2.6 be on higher speed descents? Going to a narrower rim and tire would also bring some weight savings that I wouldn't be opposed to.
Those tires you had been using are much faster rolling than what is on your Ibis. And you would not save much weight with the narrower rims though the tires will roll a a little faster as they are rounder.

I think the tires on the Ibis are appropriate, you just have to accept the drag that comes with a more aggressive setup.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Switch to a faster rolling tire. I have a Ripley V3 LS and it came with some 34mm IW rims...2.6 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic tires. The dirt where the bike is ridden does not really need that much tire. I switched to some 2.6 Bontrager XR2. Made a big difference in how fast the bike rolls.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I correct in assuming the actual tire has more of an impact on rolling resistance than the rim width?

If I went to 30mm rim and ran a 2.4 Dissector front, 2.4 Rekon rear I'm assuming that combination would still roll slower than something like a 2.6 Rekon front, 2.6 Ikon rear on a 35mm rim?

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Am I correct in assuming the actual tire has more of an impact on rolling resistance than the rim width?

If I went to 30mm rim and ran a 2.4 Dissector front, 2.4 Rekon rear I'm assuming that combination would still roll slower than something like a 2.6 Rekon front, 2.6 Ikon rear on a 35mm rim?
Yes. Rim width will have a minimal effect on rolling resistance, tire compounds and tread are the dominate factors. The rear tire has far more effect than the front, it carries most of the weight when pedaling. You will give up a fair amount of traction going from the dissector to the rekon. It is all tradeoffs.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

I guess it's possible if you go too wide with a rim. You'll flatten out the tread and will have more tire contact the ground than you'd want.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the same bike. I tried 2.4’s on the 35mm ID stock wheels and I did not like how the tire diameter felt. I also noticed a few rock strikes on the rear, the 2.4 tire did not protect the rim at all, I think 2.4 is to narrow.

i have since upgraded to I9 trail wheels with hydra hubs. They are 28mm ID and fit the 2.4 perfectly. I do run rekon 2.4 rear with dissector 2.4 front. I have actually been thinking about throwing a rekon up front when the dissector wears out, which will be soon, my side knobs are starting to tear like they always do running a dissector up front.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same bike. I tried 2.4's on the 35mm ID stock wheels and I did not like how the tire diameter felt. I also noticed a few rock strikes on the rear, the 2.4 tire did not protect the rim at all, I think 2.4 is to narrow.

i have since upgraded to I9 trail wheels with hydra hubs. They are 28mm ID and fit the 2.4 perfectly. I do run rekon 2.4 rear with dissector 2.4 front. I have actually been thinking about throwing a rekon up front when the dissector wears out, which will be soon, my side knobs are starting to tear like they always do running a dissector up front.
Did you notice a big difference in rolling resistance going from the 35mm to the 28mm I9's? I was also thinking about trying a Rekon on the front but I think the Dissector is actually the better tire for the trails I ride most of the time.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Did you notice a big difference in rolling resistance going from the 35mm to the 28mm I9's? I was also thinking about trying a Rekon on the front but I think the Dissector is actually the better tire for the trails I ride most of the time.
I'm in Utah, so my conditions are probably different than in Canada. I recently went to a 29x2.4WT Dissector DC on the back and the 29x2.5WT Assegai Maxxterra up front with 27i rims. I know that sounds like a lot of tire, but I judiciously time my climbs and have found that they are plenty fast, even compared to Nobby Nics which are considerably lighter - and in fact, I've got some climbing PR's in rocky climbs here on them. On the descents, they are so confidence inspiring that, not only are they faster, but they allow me to ride stuff I'd only walked before. I suppose if you're in consistently loamy conditions, you could make the argument that a wider tire, on a wider rim might not sink into the trail as much, and so would roll faster. I'm not sure how much difference that would make, though.
In my particular case, having ridden both the 2.4 and 2.6 Rekons, I'd never even consider them again. I didn't find them to be particularly fast up and cornering was insufficient for my needs. The only advantage I can see to a light tire is in acceleration. If you are slowing and speeding up a lot, that will make a really big difference.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It was a huge upgrade. It's a lighter wheel set, instant engagement with lighter tires. I have a dissector up front now and I have been happy with it but I also have a rekon up front on my single speed and it's works pretty well out here in Arizona.

·
Freezer
671 Posts
I guess it's possible if you go too wide with a rim. You'll flatten out the tread and will have more tire contact the ground than you'd want.
This. I have the Ibis 35i rims, and IMO they flatten out the tire profile too much on 2.4 and 2.5 tires. I've decided to go back to a 30i rim for this reason.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
Count me as someone who likes 30mm rims with 2.6" tires. I like my tires to have a little bit of a rounder profile so that leaning the bike is more consistently predictable. I don't like sharp transitions across various lean angles.

I like squarer tire profiles when I'm looking for tire flotation. like on deep, soft sand and deep, fresh snow. That's fatbike territory for me. But for going fast on firmer surfaces, I'll take a rounder tire profile every day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.