Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about switching it up from a 3x10 set-up to a 2x10 set-up on my 11' Paragon 29er. Realistically how many new parts will I need? I know it won't be as easy as switching to 2 chainrings up front...

New shifters? Derailleurs?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have been thinking about switching it up from a 3x10 set-up to a 2x10 set-up on my 11' Paragon 29er. Realistically how many new parts will I need? I know it won't be as easy as switching to 2 chainrings up front...

Yep, Shifters and derailleurs should cover it. I guess you don't need a new crank but a new crank wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't have to change anything if you want to keep the crank you have. You can just remove the large chain ring and replace it with a bash or change the chainring bolts to shorter single speed bolts.

You can keep the same derailleurs and shifters, just adjust your upper limit screws and it won't shift but once.

In a perfect world If you change the crank to a 2 x 10 you will get a better chain line with less cross chaining. They also do make specific 2x front derailleurs with only 1 step in the cage.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ive done this on EVERY bike I own. Adjust the front Derallure so it wont shift to 3rd. Then, get a bash ring from BBG bash rings *$18 shipped). Dont make it so complicated :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
the newer shimano front shifters have a 2x or 3x setting. you just turn a set screw to disable the third shift. You might want to check if you already have a 2x ready shifter. If so, no need to change the front derailer either since it just won't be shifted into the 3rd spot.

·
Registered
958 Posts
MTBRDL--
Wow I never knew about this set screw! I am going to have to look for it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
the only thing you're going to miss by converting the 3x crank to a 2x crank is the 20 speeds. In a 2x crank you won't have to worry about crosschaining & you can use all 20 gear combo's. I think if you take a 3x & use the middle & granny you're still going to be stretching when in the granny & smallest cog. I haven't reied it, but that's my understanding. I've run 1x, 3x, & most recently a 2x10 (with 2x10 cranks) & I love the new 2x10 setup.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts

You've already got what you need. I would, however, suggest trying to move your crank on the right side out a few mm's to get a more accurate 2 x _ chainline. That way, both rings will be in a more optimum position to utilize the full cluster in the rear.

The front derailleur, using the H and L limit screws, will allow you to set it so only 2 shifts work - effectively making the 3rd shift a "ghost shift". You can set it up so the old granny shift is the "ghost" or the old large chainring is the "ghost".

You might also consider getting a different granny and middle ring to do the "conversion". If you are 22/32 now - something like a 26/38 would do the trick. I wouldn't worry about a bash ring in the old large chainring slot unless you really need a bash ring (probably not if you're running a triple now and not bashing the teeth on it). Just get shorter bolts for the single ring on the middle slot.

BB

·
Registered
59 Posts
2x10 and 3x10 have different ring sizes. So, just taking off the large ring on a 3X10 doesn't give the same ratios as a 2x10. The idea of 2x10 was to make the granny ring and middle rings a bit larger, delete the outer ring, and provide more range in the cassette to cover a wide ratio with 20 gears compared to the older 3x9. I would suggest riding with your current setup, but not shifting into the large ring. If you like it then replace the outer ring with a BBG bashguard, and enjoy the additional ground clearance.
I should also mention that some 2x10 brands such as shimano cannot have a bash guard added if you think you need one. In that case you are stuck with 3x10 and swapping the outer ring for a bashguard. Lots of people do this as others have mentioned.

·
Your Best Friend
5,411 Posts
Built my Nimble 9 up as a SS. I mostly ride fire roads and gravel so I went with some Xerolite wheels with Kenda Slant Six 2.2 tires. A Carver carbon fork, a 720mm carbon bar with ergonomic grips, Cane Creek headset, Raceface cranks and BB, and Avid BB7 brakes. Gearing is 32 x 16 which seems to be about perfect.

Road her 32 miles today with 1900 feet of elevation gain on mostly soft sand. The ride was great, the tires are awesome and I dropped my buddy on every climb. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.
Wrong thread.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
2x10 and 3x10 have different ring sizes. So, just taking off the large ring on a 3X10 doesn't give the same ratios as a 2x10. The idea of 2x10 was to make the granny ring and middle rings a bit larger, delete the outer ring, and provide more range in the cassette to cover a wide ratio with 20 gears compared to the older 3x9. I would suggest riding with your current setup, but not shifting into the large ring. If you like it then replace the outer ring with a BBG bashguard, and enjoy the additional ground clearance.
I should also mention that some 2x10 brands such as shimano cannot have a bash guard added if you think you need one. In that case you are stuck with 3x10 and swapping the outer ring for a bashguard. Lots of people do this as others have mentioned.
you can achieve the same ratios with a converted triple if you really want to. cheaper than buying a whole new crankset.

·
noob
192 Posts
i took off the big ring and set the limiter on the front der. been working great for 8 months.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run a 1x9 Paragon with the original parts (2009 version). I ran it as a 2x9 for 2 years to save weight. I never used the big ring, so I have pulled that off now to run 1x9.

Works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts