Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going from 11" Trek Fuel Ex8 to 14" Trek Remedy 9.8 need help with choosing size??

Newbie on the forum but been riding trails/light mountain for 7 years now. So Hi to everyone!!!
Currently own trek fuel ex8 but want to upgrade or a carbon frame. Can't find a leftover fuel ex9.8 nowhere(two in San Diego area but they do not want to ship to NY unless someone goes to store to purchase). and this year model comes with 29 inch wheels. My next choice is 2014 remedy 9 or 9.8 with the new 27.5 wheel.
My ex8 has a virtual and actual size on the frame which is 19.5 virtual and 18.5 actual. On trek site when you go to this years remedy 9 or 9.8 it states that when you get a 19.5 it is a 19.5 frame. So now my question is if my fuel ex8 had 19.5 virtual and 18.5 actual do I go with a 19.5 or 18.5 frame on 2014 remedy.
Now also the new remedy will have a bigger wheel(27.5) than my 26" ex8 and again should I consider a smaller frame cause of the wheel size?
Please help me fast as the season to ride is here and I want to purchase it this week.
And one last question. Does anybody know if the 2014 remedy 9 or 9.8 is made in the states?

Thanx in advance too all that will help me out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't contribute much in the way of specifics, but I know on everything trek and recent (2010) Gary Fisher, I tend to always fit fine on a M 17.5" frame. I am 5'8-5'9. I tested a remedy 29 at 17.5 and it was good in size, and a remedy 650b I needed in 18.5" strangely. I would compare the reach/ top tube lengths and see which corresponds to that measurement at the very least, if you can't get out and test them. I'm not sure why the 650b bike felt so similar in a smaller size, as I haven't compared it to others in terms of numbers. I ride a fuel ex 29 in 17.5 fwiw, and the overall dimensions of the frame felt similar. I would check treks website and see if you can find a demo day nearby and go give them a go for yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
bipedal
732 Posts
There's a lot of discussion of the new 650b Remedy (including comparison to the EX and sizing) in this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2014-remedy-650b-893420-4.html

Re sizing: I went from a 2012 19.5" (virtual) EX 9.8 26er to a 2014 19.5" (virtual) Remedy 9.8 650b (both frames say 18.5" actual seat tube length). The effective horizontal top tube is apx. 24" on both bikes, and both fit me well (6', 33" inseam, 33" sleeve).

Re source: a decal on the chainstays of my 2014 Remedy 9.8 says "Designed in Waterloo, WI, USA", which suggests that the frame was likely made in Taiwan.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You will have to verify sizing but I am pretty sure there are leftover carbon Fuel 26er frames in the Trek warehouses. I work at a retailer and was just looking the other day and saw them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the above guy won't help out can you hook me up with a 2013 fuel ex 9.8 in 19.5 frame? I'm ready to buy so I won't waste nobody's time. If it's there I will paypal or use credit card to pay for the bike right away.
Again I would really appreciate if someone helped me out as the last year fuel ex 9.8 would be the perfect bike for me :)
You will have to verify sizing but I am pretty sure there are leftover carbon Fuel 26er frames in the Trek warehouses. I work at a retailer and was just looking the other day and saw them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You should be able to go into your local Trek Store and order one.

If the above guy won't help out can you hook me up with a 2013 fuel ex 9.8 in 19.5 frame? I'm ready to buy so I won't waste nobody's time. If it's there I will paypal or use credit card to pay for the bike right away.
Again I would really appreciate if someone helped me out as the last year fuel ex 9.8 would be the perfect bike for me :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sent you a PM..

Can you help me get this one? They won't ship unless someone is actually in the store and than I can call that moment and pay over phone and than they would be able to ship it to NY. I pay $200 for you to do this. I'm new on here but I got a great feedback on mbworld benzworld and l4p forums.
Thanx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts