Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying Knebal, but I understand that it can be dusty in the summer. I haven't ridden there yet. The other thought is to ride Surveyors. Anyway, I want something worth the drive and at least as good as the Browns Camp-Gales Creek area that I have become addicted to. I will probably go and try to find a map of the area tomorrow at REI or some bike shop.

Hopefully, we will be going Saturday.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Things are starting to get dry and loose everywhere here, but we had a wet spring and don't have the really thick dust that can form later in the summer yet. I haven't done Knebal/8-mile in a few weeks, though. Post Canyon, Surveyors, Gunsight Ridge, 15-mile, all good. Gunsight (north of Bennett Pass) actually still had a few patches of snow last weekend, most of which you can ride across (fun!). You can get the good trail map at either shop in Hood River (corner of Oak and 2nd).

·
Sweet
533 Posts
Coming down from Tacoma with the g-friend. Here's the deal, she wants to go to Winthrop, I want to go to Hood River:madman:
So where is a decent place to camp? Not too far out as I want to come in town for dinner/beer.
I'll take ride recommendations too, no more than 25 or so miles. A medium, not hardcore ride.
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
Law said:
Thinking of trying Knebal, but I understand that it can be dusty in the summer. I haven't ridden there yet. The other thought is to ride Surveyors. Anyway, I want something worth the drive and at least as good as the Browns Camp-Gales Creek area that I have become addicted to. I will probably go and try to find a map of the area tomorrow at REI or some bike shop.

Hopefully, we will be going Saturday.
I was out at Knebal and 8-mile just over a week ago. It's starting to get a little dusty in a few places, but I think it'll be OK for the next few weeks. After the end of July, I wouldn't ride it until we start getting rain again.

For me, the ride is on par with Brown's, but for different reasons. I had been getting bored with Brown's until Sunday, when I rode it again. Knebal/8Mile have scenery that Brown's can't match but they certainly don't have the up/down/up/down twisty goodness. Again, for me, it's worth the drive. Definitely throw 8Mile into the Knebal plans and take the short detour to the lookout tower if it's a clear day. Bring a camera if you're so inclined.

Attachments

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
Have you ridden Larch Mtn? It's a great ride with a fair amount of technical rocks/roots, etc. along with some good climbs and fast decents. It's a great loop clockwise or counterclockwise. It's my main alternate ride after the Gales Creek/Browns Camp rides.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
avam said:
Have you ridden Larch Mtn? It's a great ride with a fair amount of technical rocks/roots, etc. along with some good climbs and fast decents. It's a great loop clockwise or counterclockwise. It's my main alternate ride after the Gales Creek/Browns Camp rides.
No I haven't yet. I am still finding rides, this is only my second summer in Oregon. Where is it at? Sounds interesting.

[edit] I checked out the reviews for Larch mountain. I think I am looking for a longer ride, although i will keep in mind for the future. I am thinking something in the 2-3 hour range, or perhaps 10 to 15 miles depending upon difficulty.

Smudge: I like riding stuff that has at least one good high speed descent, like Gales Creek is great, as are parts of Browns. Is there anything like that at Knebal/8 mile?

·
Registered
110 Posts
crtlnd said:
Coming down from Tacoma with the g-friend. Here's the deal, she wants to go to Winthrop, I want to go to Hood River:madman:
So where is a decent place to camp? Not too far out as I want to come in town for dinner/beer.
I'll take ride recommendations too, no more than 25 or so miles. A medium, not hardcore ride.
If you want to camp and ride near town (Hood River), I would say Post Canyon. Short loops, lots of bridges, stunts, jumps (full range of skill levels). I know there are places where you can camp up there, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to. There are certainly plenty of spots where nobody would bother you. 10-minute drive from downtown. I just walk from my house downtown, or ride to Post Canyon. :D

Camping at 8-mile is good (Hwy 44 east of Hwy 35 south of Parkdale) for a full weekend of many ride options, but you're 45 minutes out of town. Go there for longer loops and views. If you can plan 6 mo. in advance, reserve the fire tower. My sister and bro-in-law had it a couple of weekends ago, awesome spot to stay and ride. :thumbsup:

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
Law said:
Smudge: I like riding stuff that has at least one good high speed descent, like Gales Creek is great, as are parts of Browns. Is there anything like that at Knebal/8 mile?
You'll get numerous high speed descents if you do those two trails. If you start by parking on 44 and go CCW on 8Mile, you're going to start with a great, longish DH right off the bat that parallels the creek. You'll get in another few mile descent when you get back around to Knebal. Regardless of how you do the loops, you're going to get in some fun, fast runs. I enjoy both trails in each direction, although the climb from Knebal Springs CG up tr. 474 to rt 44 really puts the hurt on me in a few places. Take that with a heap of salt though, I'm out of shape, a bit chubby, and very slow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
smudge said:
You'll get numerous high speed descents if you do those two trails. If you start by parking on 44 and go CCW on 8Mile, you're going to start with a great, longish DH right off the bat that parallels the creek. You'll get in another few mile descent when you get back around to Knebal. Regardless of how you do the loops, you're going to get in some fun, fast runs. I enjoy both trails in each direction, although the climb from Knebal Springs CG up tr. 474 to rt 44 really puts the hurt on me in a few places. Take that with a heap of salt though, I'm out of shape, a bit chubby, and very slow.
You bald, too? Any warts, fungus? ;)

Knebel gets tricky to really motor on when the dust starts getting thick. Probably good now, though. The 8-Mile descent along the creek is one of my favorites. Not technical, but very fast. A couple of off-camber turns and the left-hand hairpin at the bottom can sneak up on you, though! The Trail 450 descent between 15-Mile and Hwy 44 is also fantastic, but when we did it about 4 weeks ago there was a ton of wind-fall, requiring lots of time off the bike (including some hideous bushwacking). Not recommended until it gets cleared, but you can start at the bottom and ride up a ways.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
slackdaddy said:
You bald, too? Any warts, fungus? ;)
Any baldness thus far has been intentional and clipper induced :) . If I was still on the east coast, I may have grown a layer of fungus after all the rain they've had.

slackdaddy said:
...A couple of off-camber turns and the left-hand hairpin at the bottom can sneak up on you, though!
That's no joke. I had forgotton about that left just before the creek crossing and completely blew that turn last week.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
crtlnd said:
Wyeth and Viento are close campgrounds off of I-84 just a short drive from Hood River. And, as was also mentioned, Post Canyon is a blast to ride (freeride type but all abilities). Was there yesterday and was commenting to my buddy that we should camp there along the power lines above Post Canyon on the Gorge side - amazing views. Lots of wind tho!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is going downhill on the creek at 8mile considered the proper way to do the trail? I've always done the downhill the opposite way and climbed back up on the creekside. Sure the creek is fast, but its just straight and easy, the other way is a little bit more fun in my opinion.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
amtbr said:
Is going downhill on the creek at 8mile considered the proper way to do the trail? I've always done the downhill the opposite way and climbed back up on the creekside. Sure the creek is fast, but its just straight and easy, the other way is a little bit more fun in my opinion.
I think "proper" depends on the guide you read. I've been using the Adventure Maps map of the area and I think riding downhill parallel to the creek is improper. FWIW, I think both ways are fun.

·
coffee
37 Posts
Law: I've been thinking of going out that direction this weekend too, maybe camping around there Sat night. I rode Surveyor's a lot last year and always liked it, but that is easily a 23 mile out and back. Of course you can turn around wherever you like. Never rode any of the others, but 8 mile/Knebal sounds good. I'll have to study up in Kissing the Trail. I'm looking to do a long (20-30miles) ride one day and a medium one (~15) the other day. If you wanted to meet up to do one of those rides that might be cool, I'll be out there. Are you going Saturday?

[Edit] So after reading the mtbr reviews I think I'll be doing 8mile/Knebal one day and Surveyors Ridge (possibly with Dog River if I'm feeling hardcore) the other. Now which ride should I do which day...hmm.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dude, you need to PM me. I didn't catch this until today.

Let me know when you can ride. My mother is in town until next Tuesday, so getting away after that may be possible. Maybe during the week? Or are you working...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like to park at the Knebel Springs CG and ride the road up to Bottle Prarie. (Lot's of elev gain with a easy warmup.) From there we'll do the 8-mile loop clockwise, finishing off on the K Springs tr. down to camp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.