Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just going nuts over whether I sould get a new bike/frame or not and just be happy with what I have and spend time riding instead of agonizing over what to get.

I have an el cheapo Taiwan frame with decent components. It's on the heavy side for what I do really but I think it works really well as a heavy duty trail bike.

I just can't get that upgrade bug out of my head :)

This is the bike in it's current incarnation (see attached pic):
Large Horst linked noname frame with approx 170 mm travel (I run 200x57 instead of original 190x50 mm shock). Swinger 4way coil
MZ Z1 Light 150mm
Mavic En321 laced to Hope ProII rear and Formula DC-93 front (DT Champ)
Schwalbe Big Betty 2,4
Avid Juicy 5 with 185 mm rotors F/R
Shimano LX/XT/Hone drivetrain and shifters
Cheapish stem, bars, post and saddle

Bikes on my list (on my level I can't justify going for the more expensive options):
Transition Covert or Preston FR
Giant Trance X or Reign
Specialized Pitch
SC Heckler

Oh, and here's a couple och clips featuring me, my bike and dog doing what we do most of the time :)

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Will a new bike bring me the satisfaction I sometimes think it will or should I be happy and ride the stuff I have until it breaks :)
Or maybe a well thought out upgrade would be a golden middle?

Cheers from a fellow MTBer in Sweden
/Johan

Attachments

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
Modig said:
I have an el cheapo Taiwan frame with decent components. It's on the heavy side for what I do really but I think it works really well as a heavy duty trail bike.

Large Horst linked noname frame with approx 170 mm travel (I run 200x57 instead of original 190x50 mm shock). Swinger 4way coil
MZ Z1 Light 150mm
Mavic En321 laced to Hope ProII rear and Formula DC-93 front (DT Champ)
Schwalbe Big Betty 2,4
Avid Juicy 5 with 185 mm rotors F/R
Shimano LX/XT/Hone drivetrain and shifters
Cheapish stem, bars, post and saddle

Bikes on my list (on my level I can't justify going for the more expensive options):
Transition Covert or Preston FR
Giant Trance X or Reign
Specialized Pitch
SC Heckler

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Will a new bike bring me the satisfaction I sometimes think it will or should I be happy and ride the stuff I have until it breaks :)
Or maybe a well thought out upgrade would be a golden middle?

Cheers from a fellow MTBer in Sweden
/Johan
OK, Johan, just because a frame is from Taiwan doesn't make it 'el cheapo'; frame looks like it's got some craft to it, not just hammered out in some sweatshop kind of factory. You're built for heavy-duty trail riding, so if you're not doing that kind of riding, then you're overbuilt or over-equipped. You know better than anyone what kind of riding you're doing.

I'd get lighter parts if I were in your position (although for me personally, the bike looks pretty sweet -- I'd get different tires and a SRAM drivetrain if it was my bike); but if you decide that you just have to have a new bike, get the Heckler or the Trance. The Reign is too much bike for what you're apparently looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks like the KHS Am1000. Those are legit bikes, and yours is looking really good. Not to derail the thread, but I'm guessing the rear shock mount on the linkage is for the max travel, and the front one being the least?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1nFocus said:
That looks like the KHS Am1000. Those are legit bikes, and yours is looking really good. Not to derail the thread, but I'm guessing the rear shock mount on the linkage is for the max travel, and the front one being the least?
Correct about the shock mount. Originally for 100, 125 and 150 mm rear wheel travel respectively. I run a slightly longer than original shock.

The frame is available from several "makers" in Europe. Hence my el cheapo (apart from it being relly cheap) remark :). I've heard about similarities to KHS sometime before but haven't looked into it.

Thanks for the nice comments otherwise.

Cheers
/Johan

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
no offense, but this topic is really annoying. people need to stop whining about new this...or new that...and just be happy with what they have and spend more time riding the friggin bike they already have! New technology is just marketing mumbo jumbo for mtbr toolz to get hung up on talking about

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you can afford it then why not get a new frame or bike and sell the old one. There looks to be nothing wrong with your current ride but if you want to try something else or upgrade to a lighter ride why not.

Just to give you a little perspective on my views I own an eleven year old car but a brand new bike. I love trying new products as well and don't get too attached to material things so I ride a bike for a few seasons, upgrade some parts along the way then sell it. I love selling my bike to those who can't afford new ones and making them a good deal.

Just have fun and what ever you decide enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FoShizzle said:
no offense, but this topic is really annoying. people need to stop whining about new this...or new that...and just be happy with what they have and spend more time riding the friggin bike they already have! New technology is just marketing mumbo jumbo for mtbr toolz to get hung up on talking about
Man, people should spend less time on the Internet whining about people whining :)

Seriously, point taken and it was actually along the lines I was thinking.

Just to bring some variation and contribute instead of whining, here´s another clip with me and the dog with another bike :)

Cheers
/Johan

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Hey Modig.. come down from out of the clouds dude!!! Your bike is better than probably more than half the mountain bikers out there.. take it easy and ride that thing! Its damn solid.

·
Registered
382 Posts
FoShizzle said:
This is coming from a guy, that has owned almost every high-end frame and part that you can buy..Just look at his avtar :confused:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
spongstick said:
This is coming from a guy, that has owned almost every high-end frame and part that you can buy..Just look at his avtar :confused:
that is a bit harsh...i have not purchased any new bikes this month....well, there is the one that just shipped but still. and the one i received last month was one i "needed" so that doesnt count

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
spongstick said:
Yeah but he probably doesnt whine about his rides.. just writes long in-depth reviews about how and why they suck. :p

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Dude, be happy. I broke my frame recently, and was bummed, but it gave me an excuse to upgrade. Shopped all over, tried a bunch of different frames, finally decided on one. Built it up with my old parts... just not as good, couldn't get that same feeling the old frame gave me. Ended up getting the old frame welded, and the new one is hanging from the ceiling. I'll see how long an alu weld job lasts... I hope it's forever.

If you like what you have, be happy! A new frame could make the ride better, but it could also make it worse.

·
Registered
796 Posts
scottzg said:
If you like what you have, be happy! A new frame could make the ride better, but it could also make it worse.
Well said! I couldn't have said it better myself.
A good friend of mine has upgradeitis too, and is always comparing his new bikes to his old Elsworth Moment, which he loved but sold to get something "better".

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I find that if I am feeling a bad case of UGI, I just need to not go on MTBR for a while.

It seems whenever I come on here, I see other bikes/products that I want.

Get out on the trail, I am more than pleased with my rig, it's when I'm on MTBR that I want the next best thing.

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
That looks like a very versitile frame, why dont you try getting an air shock for the back, then play around with your different travel settings, I know the fork can be droped to 130mm with air pressure too. I is there anything geometry wise you don't like about the frame it definitely doesnt look heavy.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Modig said:
Hi all,

I'm just going nuts over whether I sould get a new bike/frame or not and just be happy with what I have and spend time riding instead of agonizing over what to get.
Have you tried Zen Buddhism? It helps. :D

Seriously, the bike matters much less than you think it does. As a reformed bike obsessor I can guarantee that a new bike will make less difference than you perceive it will. Ride what you have. I only allow myself a major upgrade once every year now, and am far happier now than before, when I was upgrading frames every 6 months.

FoShizzle said:
wrong...i almost never say anything negative about my rides, just everybody elses.
that is so not Zen. Be careful or Karma will get you in the form of a flat next ride out

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.