Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys going to bite the bullet and go clipless I've narrowed down to three shoes from research and reviews
Shimano xc50
Mavic Rush
pearl izumi x project 2.0-30
anybody wear these 10.5-11 U.S. Size and am worried about ordering correct size on line my LBS carries the Shimano so I can at least try those on
thanks in advance

·
Registered
383 Posts
+1 on Sidi Dominator. Comfortable, durable and great features. Worth the slight premium for the comfort. Wide sizes also available. Check the reviews.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've owned their mx boots. But they are about $100 more than I wanted to spend but who knows may just put off my purchase for a week or so and spend the extra$$$

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,801 Posts
Yeah I've owned their mx boots. But they are about $100 more than I wanted to spend but who knows may just put off my purchase for a week or so and spend the extra$$$
It's worth the wait to save for them trust me. I've used them for 15 years without any issues. Great comfort and they last forever. Italian made like a Ferrari ;). I've also had their MX boots which were also top notch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dirtjunkie how do they run size wise I'm a 10.5-11 depending on shoe company buy their size chart should I err on the small or large size
Thanks again
I love this site. Great info

·
Parking Lot Poser
515 Posts
Shouldn't there be a:..

New guy to clipless Or
Best shoe for clipless Or
Best shoe for flats

...... section in the forum??

I mean really, this is so common it reads like the cover of bicycling magazine

·
Registered
859 Posts
Really you need both. The sidis are the most comfortable and expensive shoes i have ever had. On cold days or when there is even the remote possibility of having to walk out the pearl izumis are much better.

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
The Sidi D is a great shoe, I have a pair and can report that they last a long time and fit my feet really well. That said since you're just delving into it I don't see the need to splurge on a $250 pair of shoes, clipless isn't for everyone and there is a chance you may not love it.

My first choice would probably be the ones I could try on, and if they're a good fit make sure you buy them there at the lbs. Shimano makes a pretty good shoe and you won't be missing out on any of the benefits of clipless if you go with them (IMO).

If you order online I'd recommend ordering at least 2 sizes of whatever shoe you're interested in to get the best fit and then returning the others. Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just started clipping in this year. I found a pair of Pearl Izumis on craigslist. They were brand new. Got them for 20 bucks. I didn't want to spend big money if I ended up not liking it. They work fine for now. I'll step up to some newer shoes next year. And I do have my eye in Sidi shoes for when I step up to newer ones.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Bike shoes are an item I won't buy online. I've got to try them on. I've also never paid more than $100 for bike shoes. I buy in the late season, or old stock from the previous season. I'm willing to wait to find the right fit at the right price. I've seen Sidi's on sale & tried them on, but never found the right fit on the sale items.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The Sidi's listed above are very nice and I have a pair, I wear the wide size and bought them a half size larger than my running shoes. That being said, since I have a high instep and a slightly wider than average foot, the Northwave shoes fit me the best by far. I started out paying about $150 a pair and now get the leftovers on ebay for $60-80 tops.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I agree with J.B. Trying clipless you don't need the best shoe money can buy.

Go to store buy a nice pair of shimano's for a fair amount less and see if clipless is for you.

They make some very good shoes. Currently riding on xc-60 but going to get a pair of sidi's.

After 30 years of riding clipless I need to know what the hype is all about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A good comfortable snug fit is very important, everyone has different feet.
Sidi's are not for me, dont fit me well and I find there oversized logos too flashy.
Best is as others recommended go to shops and try on some of their shoes.
Im currently on Shimano M163's as the fit was just good for me, for my next shoes Im looking at Mavic Fury's

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bike shoes are an item I won't buy online. I've got to try them on. I've also never paid more than $100 for bike shoes. I buy in the late season, or old stock from the previous season. I'm willing to wait to find the right fit at the right price. I've seen Sidi's on sale & tried them on, but never found the right fit on the sale items.
This^^^^^^^ Shoes are something you need to try on. What's comfy for one person could feel like a torture devise to another.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I recently picked up a pair of the Dominator Fits...and they are pretty awesome. When I tried them on...the clouds parted in the sky and a ray of light shined on me. The ratchet is probably the best I've tried. Its so smooth.

Shoes are something I don't tend to cheap out on. Its the interface between you and the bike. I haven't used the Sidis them on the trail yet...still trying to wear down my Northwaves and S-Works Trail. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts