Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start a winter project by stripping my ol' trusty mountain bike to the bone and rebuilding her, from the ground up, new paint included.

One idea I'm playing with is, keeping the frame unpainted.

Other then a couple healthy coats of clearcoat....anything else I need to protect the frame from the elements. I've seen bare aluminum frames before, from the factory, and I always thought it looked pretty cool. From what I could tell, all they did was clearcoat it....true?

Also, what would you recommend as a paint stripper? Chemical or good ol' fashioned elbow grease and sandpaper.

Thanks.

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
i got mine stripped then polished with very fine wire wool then next all iam going to do is just put the stickers on it then try and work out the carnuba wax idea, some say this is all thats needed.as it coats the ali.

·
Danarchy.
107 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
sausagedog said:
i got mine stripped then polished with very fine wire wool then next all iam going to do is just put the stickers on it then try and work out the carnuba wax idea, some say this is all thats needed.as it coats the ali.
I'd look at Collinite's Metal Wax, it's a great product and will fare much better than the carnuba wax in the elements. Collinite is known around the boating and car detailing world as one of the longest lasting waxes on the market. This one is liquid form, should run you about $15 for a bottle.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm#850

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.