Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding an 8-spd 26er hard tail. I'm soon switching to a Karate Monkey. My problem is that I'm a "larger" rider and my 32 tooth in front and 11-32 cassette in back is probably already a bit of a tough gearing for me. I get around on it OK. But I get the feeling that once I'm on a 29er I'm going to have problems. I do NOT want a Mega-Range cassette.

I've heard tell that you can buy a free-cog in 34T and slap it on top of a cassette with a spacer and drop the smallest cog.

Question: Where can I find these cogs and what size spacer do I need?

Thanks ...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Interesting idea, I had a similar thought recently. I guess the bottom 34t from a cheap SRAM cassette (worn cassettes will often have a fresh 34t). Simple 8 or 9spd spacer depending on the type of cassette you're running, I guess.
Take a look in the LBS's steel trash bin.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30T Ring

I do wish that 30T middle rings were commonly available. In the future I would like to get some custom TI rings. But for now, I found some cheap Truvativ steel 32T rings and I have a small supply. I go through AL chainrings like a hot knife through butter. So ... I need the 34T cog to make everything right.

9 speed ... ???? I've heard to many stories about big guys shredding 9 speed chains. I'm 280# ... I bend my 8 speed cogs. 9 speed is not for me until I lose some flab and learn how to ride smoother.

Hopefully the preponderance of 29ers will prompt the production of 30T middle rings.

·
I live to bike
2,394 Posts
Go with a Deore 9 spd. One guy I talked with told me he tears up the 34tooth on XTs, but not Deores--They're a little beefier, but weigh more. So if you don't mind a few extra grams, it may be a good choice for you. You should be able to find a 30t chainring if you look around enough.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Deore middle ring = steel

Jwiffle said:
Go with a Deore 9 spd. One guy I talked with told me he tears up the 34tooth on XTs, but not Deores--They're a little beefier, but weigh more. So if you don't mind a few extra grams, it may be a good choice for you. You should be able to find a 30t chainring if you look around enough.
Deore middle rings are steel, XT are alloy, thus the differences in performance you are seeing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts