Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my Haro Mary SS to 1x9 and have a couple of questions.....

Would a short cage or long cage derailleur be best (I am probobly going to use sram x5)?

Which of these hangers would be the best fit for me? http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-48530716-patas-de-desviador-wheels-mfg-derailleur-hanger-_JM

I have the wtb laserdisc wheel on the back and would like to know if I need to change the hub or the whole wheel to accomadate the cassette?

Where is the best place to run the cable for the derailleur?

Thanks in advance!

·
Bruh
195 Posts
Short-cage rear derailleur is what you want - there's not as much variation in chain slack with a 1x9 drivetrain, so you don't need a long derailleur cage to take it all up. Also, it'll help keep your chain tighter and prevent chainslap and chain drops.

I'd run the cable underneath the top-tube, and down the seatstay.

If your rear wheel is a SS-specific wheel, you'll need to swap it out to a wheel that can accomodate a full 9-speed cassette. A geared wheel has less spoke dish on one side than another to allow for a full complement of gears on one side.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your derailluer cage size is dependant upon your chainring on your crank and what type of cassette you are running. Without those pieces of info... ???

I run a 32 w/ 11-32... medium cage X.7 works just fine.

Cable run... I suggest running it from the top tube down the seat stay. Most derailluers, the housing entrance is sort of in line with the seat stay.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sorry if I'm posting this picture too often. I converted my Mary from SS to 1x9 and love it.

- Short cage derailleur is fine.
- Order the hanger from Haro. They have one made for the Mary.
- If it's the Mary stock wheel, you'll need a new hub. The Pivit can't fit a 1x9 cassette.
- I agree with Doc for routing. I ran the cable along the top tube. I just ran the shifter with full housing, and replaced the clips for the other cables with small zip ties. The cables all snug up nicely to each other.
- I also added two stick-on cable guides to the drive side seat stay and that's all it took to route the shifter cable. No need to junk up the downtube with zip ties or anything like that.
- Don't forget a chain keeper for the inside of the crank.

·
Registered
552 Posts
schnee said:
Sorry if I'm posting this picture too often. I converted my Mary from SS to 1x9 and love it.
Oh, me likes! :thumbsup: Do you have a thread with the build details?

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
RacerLex said:
Oh, me likes! :thumbsup: Do you have a thread with the build details?

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... :)
Never published it to a thread. It's a simple build, though. Hopefully this isn't a hijack.
- New wheelset - DMR/Surly hubs, Salsa Gordo rims, Big Apple tires
- SRAM x.7 shifter and short-cage RD w/ full length cable
- 11/34 cassette
- SRAM chain
- Jagwire chain keeper
- Fasteners (2 Jagwire alloy cable guides + 6 zip ties)

Most of it is relevant to the original poster, but for the wheels, he can just swap the rear hub and re-lace the wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff, thanks for the pic you did a great job on the conversion.

I think I am ready to convert just need to pick up a new hub and hanger. I live in Mexico so I cannot just call Haro and get parts sent down as it takes forever....thats if they arrive!!

Are any of the hangers on this page not similar:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...eur-hanger-_JM

I have always wanted the 'big apple' tires they look awesome and I bet they are fun to ride.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Bruh
195 Posts
DocAltie said:
Your derailluer cage size is dependant upon your chainring on your crank and what type of cassette you are running. Without those pieces of info... ???
Negative, señor.

Chain length is dependent upon your chainring and rear cassette. Not derailleur length.

Derailleur length is dependent upon how much variation there is between your shortest and tallest gears.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
bennym said:
I think I am ready to convert just need to pick up a new hub and hanger. I live in Mexico so I cannot just call Haro and get parts sent down as it takes forever....thats if they arrive!!

Are any of the hangers on this page not similar:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...eur-hanger-_JM

Thanks again for all the help.
This is the hanger you need. I double-checked by looking at my own Mary. Notice the two small screw holes and the round top shape, and the inset area. It doesn't match the ones on that site.

I found it for sale here - it's #133:
https://derailleurhanger.com/haro.htm

It looks like it's made by Wheels Manufacturing, so that might help you source it locally. It's listed as #133:
https://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/703/27/

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts