Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time wearing goggles yesterday at diablo. I brought a pair of what I believe are Oakley snow goggles. They worked fine, but I'm wondering is there any real difference between snow goggles and mtn. biking goggles? (besides the tearoff systems some use) Any difference in ventilation, visibility, or comfort?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
One is meant to keep your head cool and the other is to keep your head warm. Snow gogs genreally have much darker tints than MX gogs, too. MX gogs use silicone(I think) no-slip strips on their straps more widley than snow gogs do(but not a big deal IMO)

But, if the snow goggles work for you than there is no reason to shell out extra $ for MX goggles.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes the snow goggles I wore were fine - but I can't help but wonder if MX goggles offer any advantage in the way of visibility, weight, or ventilation. The tear-off lense idea sounds really cool for those muddy days though.

I guess I'll see if I can try a pair on at the LBS

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use a pair of Oakley Crowbar with a double lens for skiing and a single "blue" lens with the tear offs,
which I've used once, for summertime DH. Same frame just a quick swap of the lens.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
MX versions are typically a bit less expensive, actually. And I think at least some models have a longer strap on the MX version (to fit around a full face helmet), a bit more ventilation perhaps, and of course you generally don't need a double lense in the summer (which are fitted to snow goggles to stop them fogging up).

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've found that I can't ride DH with anything BUT snow goggles...

I bought some O-Frames a few years ago and they fogged up halfway down every run at Whistler, whether it was sunny or rainy/overcast.

I tried new lenses, Cat-Crap, other anti-fog, taking them off every second that I wasn't moving, and it still didn't work.
The lenses in MX goggles tend to be pretty flimsy/crappy quality too.

SO I bought some Oakley Crowbar Snow goggles for boarding last winter, and with the dual-pane, vented lens, I still would fog up occasionally if I were hiking in powder or something, but as long as I took them off between runs, they'd be fine.
I now use them for DH riding too, and even on hot days they've been fine and haven't fogged.

SO in short, the snow goggles keep you no warmer/cooler than MX goggles, but in my experience, they fog way less and have nicer lenses (pre-shaped spherical ones vs. a $2 sheet of lexan)

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Ive got two pairs of crowbars. . . I first bought the MX styled ones for riding. . . then tried em on the snow once and the lens froze, off with all of my fancy Oakley blingy tint. So it basically goes, snow to mud works, mud to snow not so much. . . The snow have a double lens, more foam, and for what I can guess a slightly different ventilation pattern. The trick to goggles in general especially the crowbars is to keep them on at all times and not to pull em up on your forehead.

I however cannot get the crow bar snow lenses to cross with the crowbar mx lenses, and visa versa.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Meh.. I try to use goggles but I just don't like them. I perfer to use a nice pair of sun glasses that fit well with the full facer. I like the feeling of the wind on my face and I hate the hot feeling the goggles give me. Also, I have had my sun glasses fog up maybe one or two times. The goggles fog all the time. Just my two cents.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
I use Smith MX goggles while biking. I tried using my snow goggles, but I saw no need, they just got dirty and sweaty.

Only time the MX goggles fog up on me are rainy days, other than that they have been great, just take em off while riding the lift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.