Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a quality goggle for a full face (TLD Stage).

I’m more interested in a light orange or amber and/or clear lens than the “colored” ones as our trails have lots of tree cover and I prefer lenses that enhance detail.

Quick search shows most goggles offer either clear or “colored”. Didn’t see any orange or amber options.

Was a little difficult to understand what the colored lenses do but I’m open to them if they do what I want. Maybe some are the ones that change with lighting conditions?

Some criteria: ventilation, lens selection and availability, easy lense changing, good fit.

Will be used for MTB and BMX.

Whaddaya like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I've been really happy with my Blurs. I use the clear lenses, and I haven't used the dark ones ever. Might have to find someone who wants to trade mine for clears.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
Smith Squad with Chromapop lens. They're very well ventilated and the tint works well in tree shade. The colored tint is only visible from the outside. You don't see the colors when wearing it. It just increases contrast.

I think that yellow or amber lenses is more of a snow google thing.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smith Squad with Chromapop lens. They're very well ventilated and the tint works well in tree shade. The colored tint is only visible from the outside. You don't see the colors when wearing it. It just increases contrast.

I think that yellow or amber lenses is more of a snow google thing.
Do the Chromapop lenses change tint based on light? If so how quickly do they react to changes? My trails have heavy tree cover and not much light.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
Do the Chromapop lenses change tint based on light? If so how quickly do they react to changes? My trails have heavy tree cover and not much light.

No, they don't change with the light. It's a mild tint that mostly increases contrast but if you have lots of heavy tree cover then maybe a clear lens would be preferable? My goggles came with both chromapop and clear lenses.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,285 Posts
No, they don't change with the light. It's a mild tint that mostly increases contrast but if you have lots of heavy tree cover then maybe a clear lens would be preferable? My goggles came with both chromapop and clear lenses.
I've got the Squad as well and love the fit, but I'm not a big fan of the chromapop here in western WA. It's great out of the trees; not so much in shady, flat-light conditions which is most of what we've got. YMMV, I often get weird shadows and distortion with chromapop -- hard to explain 'cause it's not just too dark, like a mirrored lens in the canopy. It does strange things to the contrast for me.

I still like the Smiths, but run the clear lens almost all the time. I wish they had a yellow option...

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I've got the Squad as well and love the fit, but I'm not a big fan of the chromapop here in western WA. It's great out of the trees; not so much in shady, flat-light conditions which is most of what we've got. YMMV, I often get weird shadows and distortion with chromapop -- hard to explain 'cause it's not just too dark, like a mirrored lens in the canopy. It does strange things to the contrast for me.

I still like the Smiths, but run the clear lens almost all the time. I wish they had a yellow option...
Yeah, I think you guys have a thicker canopy than we do here in central Oregon. I'd probably run the clear lens too.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is the orange lens I've been running for like 10 years. It enhances details in mixed conditions without being overly bright like a yellow lens.

100% goggles offer yellow, orange, and "persimmon", which looks like it's somewhere in between yellow and orange.

I like the comments about Smith having good ventilation as that is a concern since it's very humid here especially in the summer.

Anyone try 100%?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.