Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get some feedback on my first mountain bike in about 15 years. I'm mostly a recreational road rider, but am interested in buying a mountain bike. My oldest is almost 7 and becoming pretty skilled on his 16" bike and I think it'd be good for us to go out together, first on fire roads/doubletrack and on some easy single track. We live in the Fruita area, so there's not that much 'easy' singletrack, though. I'll think about buying him his first 20" mountain bike this summer.

So I'm thinking of what to buy for myself. I don't like spending a ton of money. My current road bike is a 10 year old surly pacer that's kind of a jack of all trades bike. I'm thinking of the goblin and the goblin evolution. I suspect the evolution would better match my riding style, but I'm really looking to be as economical as possible. I have to balance my thriftiness with the fact that I'm a big guy, 6'4" 245#. As a new mountain biker, what differences would I notice between the trail and xc bikes? I've so far focused my efforts on thinking about the goblin and evolution, is it worth thinking about the seeker?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't know the trails around Fruita but I know the area well enough to know a little of what you'll be riding. When I consider your weight and the area, I would suggest the Evolution. I am around the same weight and managed to break an axle on my second season of riding my Goblin on single track with a few bumps. The Evo has stronger, wider, stiffer, higher quality wheels that probably have stronger hubs. So even if the rest of the bike were overkill (unlikely) the wheels alone are reason to choose it. It is the bike I would have chosen if it was available when I purchased mine. Taking the terrain into account, the Evo is a slam-dunk, IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
For a $400 delta you're getting better tires and wheels (which I've just done to my Goblin and that's $300 right there) and a better fork, beefier frame, and steps up here and there in other components.

I think it's a simple decision - if my Goblin were stolen today, I'd be ordering a EVO the same night. At the same time I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Goblin either and could do the wheel/tires later. I'm in the Springs so if you're ever this way you're more than welcome to come try out my Goblin.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm hoping to get some feedback on my first mountain bike in about 15 years. I'm mostly a recreational road rider, but am interested in buying a mountain bike. My oldest is almost 7 and becoming pretty skilled on his 16" bike and I think it'd be good for us to go out together, first on fire roads/doubletrack and on some easy single track. We live in the Fruita area, so there's not that much 'easy' singletrack, though. I'll think about buying him his first 20" mountain bike this summer.

So I'm thinking of what to buy for myself. I don't like spending a ton of money. My current road bike is a 10 year old surly pacer that's kind of a jack of all trades bike. I'm thinking of the goblin and the goblin evolution. I suspect the evolution would better match my riding style, but I'm really looking to be as economical as possible. I have to balance my thriftiness with the fact that I'm a big guy, 6'4" 245#. As a new mountain biker, what differences would I notice between the trail and xc bikes? I've so far focused my efforts on thinking about the goblin and evolution, is it worth thinking about the seeker?
The slacker HT angle and shorter stays on the EVO make it more of a trail bike that is a little more flickable and playful. But IMHO its not as forgiving or as stable feeling as the Goblin is. I've spent a lot of time riding and developing both frames and they definitely have different ride characteristics. The EVO is also significantly stiffer than the Goblin, but a lot of the harshness associated with that is eaten up by the huge tires. The EVO also has a lot more mud clearance, so if there is mud where you ride that is a plus.

I would say if you have the budget for the EVO and are torn between to the two models, it almost makes more fiscal sense to buy it over the Goblin. As others have said the $400 price difference can get eaten up fast if you ever plan on upgrading the Goblin, and you'd still not have the beefier frame, the rear 142x12 axle, extra clearance, etc, etc.

Truthfully in the end though, both are a good choice. I doubt you'd have any buyers remorse either way.

Feel free to ask anymore questions, I'd be happy to help!

Jeremy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After hemming and hawing, and wondering if I should consider a 26" FS, I ordered the EVO earlier today. Should be fun.

Thanks for the advice here.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
After hemming and hawing, and wondering if I should consider a 26" FS, I ordered the EVO earlier today. Should be fun.

Great, thanks! We know you'll be happy with it!

Jeremy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats

I live just up the road in Battlement Mesa and have a Goblin and have ridden it on 18 road. I would say you made a good choice. I would have gotten the EVO had it been out last March when I got my Goblin. I have up-graded my front Tire to a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 so I can't wait to see what kind of difference it makes on the trails down there. It is nice to have another Airborne rider in the area now I won't be the only cool guy around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I'll be doing most of my riding at 18rd and doing some of the stuff out Loma way. I go out to each a few times a year on my 15+ year old hardtail. It'll be fun to be out there more.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The slacker HT angle and shorter stays on the EVO make it more of a trail bike that is a little more flickable and playful. But IMHO its not as forgiving or as stable feeling as the Goblin is. I've spent a lot of time riding and developing both frames and they definitely have different ride characteristics. The EVO is also significantly stiffer than the Goblin, but a lot of the harshness associated with that is eaten up by the huge tires. The EVO also has a lot more mud clearance, so if there is mud where you ride that is a plus.

I would say if you have the budget for the EVO and are torn between to the two models, it almost makes more fiscal sense to buy it over the Goblin. As others have said the $400 price difference can get eaten up fast if you ever plan on upgrading the Goblin, and you'd still not have the beefier frame, the rear 142x12 axle, extra clearance, etc, etc.

Truthfully in the end though, both are a good choice. I doubt you'd have any buyers remorse either way.

Feel free to ask anymore questions, I'd be happy to help!

Jeremy
Would the Evolution be more appropriate than the regular Goblin for the very rocky and rooty New England trails? Hardtails are tough in this area for those of us who aren't great mountain bikers. For someone who isn't looking to race and wants an endurance hardtail for the North East which bike would be more appropriate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any suggestions on setting up the Revelation RL fork? I have no experience with air forks (my previous being an elastomer fork), and the rockshox website is worthless. I've adjusted to the recommended pressure on the fork, but it's awfully harsh. Rebound is intermediate. I can't get a very plush ride even when reducing pressure and rebound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts