Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we did the loop.

helimech said:
Nice pixs, did you do the loop or out & back ??? Later

can't go all that way and not do gc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Hi
How was the ride up on your singlespeed, what gear are you running? I have been wanting to ride that trail and I was going try it on my new One Niner.
Thanks
ed
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ED2525 said:
Hi
How was the ride up on your singlespeed, what gear are you running? I have been wanting to ride that trail and I was going try it on my new One Niner.
Thanks
ed
it was delicious and painful.
i ran 32x21 and got smoked by my
friend running 32x19 on his niner.
once you get up the 1st technical slog its pretty rideable if
the legs and lungs work.
 

Attachments

·
Be happy......go riding
Joined
·
136 Posts
I was out on Goat Camp friday for my first time and after about two and a half miles I turned around because I wasn't having any fun with all those rocks and having to hike-a-bike so much. How far do you have to go before to get pass the rough stuff and reach the more rideable area? How long was the whole loop? Would a shorter travel bike be better for this trail as opposed to a longer travel bike? I was on a 6 inch travel bike at 36lbs.
 

·
Happy trails
Joined
·
437 Posts
where did you start from?

the mesquite trail end is the usual starting point.the first few hundred yards are rideable then you have a couple hundred of hike-a-bike.after that is all very rideable trail for miles.i can see a lot of hiking if one was to start at the bottom of goat camp and go up from there.
it's a great trail that gets overlooked due to the rocky hike a bike start.
try it again maybe with some that have gone on it before.
 

·
wrecking crew
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Yuri, I'm glad you enjoyed it! This ride is one of my absolute favorites. Some of the best singletrack in the valley IMO. We've probably hit it 6 or more times this year. The last few rides we did the out and back and had a blast doing it that way too. Makes for a fun XC ride. Either way you go its a great ride! ;)

BTW~Love the color of your Niner!!! :D
 

·
Be happy......go riding
Joined
·
136 Posts
I tried

FATTRAXX said:
the mesquite trail end is the usual starting point.the first few hundred yards are rideable then you have a couple hundred of hike-a-bike.after that is all very rideable trail for miles.i can see a lot of hiking if one was to start at the bottom of goat camp and go up from there.
it's a great trail that gets overlooked due to the rocky hike a bike start.
try it again maybe with some that have gone on it before.

I did start from the south end of the Black Canyon Dr. parking lot where the trail ends. I rode up to the north end of the parking lot and started up Goat Canyon (Camp) from there. I didn't see one set of tire tracks from there on up the trail, only foot tracks, so I figured that this trail wasn't used much by mountain bikers. So, if you start from the Mesquite end of the trail, do you make a loop counter clockwise around, and then connect up with Goat Camp and come back down the trail that I was heading up? I hear about people doing a XC up and back on the trail where do they start to do that route? Do you ride up Ford Canyon at all? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Trailmix said:
I did start from the south end of the Black Canyon Dr. parking lot where the trail ends. I rode up to the north end of the parking lot and started up Goat Canyon (Camp) from there. I didn't see one set of tire tracks from there on up the trail, only foot tracks, so I figured that this trail wasn't used much by mountain bikers. So, if you start from the Mesquite end of the trail, do you make a loop counter clockwise around, and then connect up with Goat Camp and come back down the trail that I was heading up? I hear about people doing a XC up and back on the trail where do they start to do that route? Do you ride up Ford Canyon at all? Thanks for the help.
You went up the bottom of the DH part. To do the XC version you park at Ramada Way and go up Mesquite and turn back when the DH gets nasty. Avoid Ford Canyon since it's sand wash and large rock at the bottom.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,367 Posts
Props..

for doing the climb and the DH on a HT SS.

How 'come Gordon left his SS at home?

And wasn't that one guy on a rigid...?
 

·
Be happy......go riding
Joined
·
136 Posts
ahh man!

AKA Monkeybutt said:
You went up the bottom of the DH part. To do the XC version you park at Ramada Way and go up Mesquite and turn back when the DH gets nasty. Avoid Ford Canyon since it's sand wash and large rock at the bottom.
Sounds like I missed out on a great ride on one of the better trails in the Phoenix area. All the locals I asked information for, regarding Goat Camp, didn't know anything about it, and that was including a bike shop in Tempe. That ride should be called the Mesquite-Goat. I guess I'll just have to come back next year to ride it.
 

·
Just another half mile...
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Counter clockwise....

This may help, here is a map of ther route that we usually take
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=1


Trailmix said:
I did start from the south end of the Black Canyon Dr. parking lot where the trail ends. I rode up to the north end of the parking lot and started up Goat Canyon (Camp) from there. I didn't see one set of tire tracks from there on up the trail, only foot tracks, so I figured that this trail wasn't used much by mountain bikers. So, if you start from the Mesquite end of the trail, do you make a loop counter clockwise around, and then connect up with Goat Camp and come back down the trail that I was heading up? I hear about people doing a XC up and back on the trail where do they start to do that route? Do you ride up Ford Canyon at all? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Be happy......go riding
Joined
·
136 Posts
Epicrider said:
This may help, here is a map of ther route that we usually take
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=1

Hey thanks Epicrider. This map is very helpful. It looks like the loop you take connects a number of trails together. Do you know the total mileage on this loop? It's still going to be a little rough ride down the lower section of Goat Camp I guess, huh?
 

·
I am Doctor Remulak
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Trailmix said:
Hey thanks Epicrider. This map is very helpful. It looks like the loop you take connects a number of trails together. Do you know the total mileage on this loop? It's still going to be a little rough ride down the lower section of Goat Camp I guess, huh?
Yeah, Dale's maps are very good. Take a look at the bottom of the map and you'll see the mileage/elevation for the loop.
 

·
Just another half mile...
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Last 3 miles is Gnar...

From point 13 on the map, this is where the really technical Goat Camp DH starts and is hairball all the way down. Here are a buch of pics from several rides we did in the last few years to give you an idea what the trail is like. :D http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=91


Trailmix said:
Hey thanks Epicrider. This map is very helpful. It looks like the loop you take connects a number of trails together. Do you know the total mileage on this loop? It's still going to be a little rough ride down the lower section of Goat Camp I guess, huh?
 

·
Be happy......go riding
Joined
·
136 Posts
Epicrider said:
From point 13 on the map, this is where the really technical Goat Camp DH starts and is hairball all the way down. Here are a buch of pics from several rides we did in the last few years to give you an idea what the trail is like. :D http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=91

I guess I should have asked more questions about Goat Camp in this forum "BEFORE" I left California to ride in the Phoenix area last week. Riding National and Hawes was pretty straight forward as far as how and where to ride them. So, when I heard Goat Camp was a great trail I decided okay I'll ride this trail......not so straight forward, you gotta know the ins and outs of this ride. Thanks to you guys I know where to go now. I now have greater incentive to return to this great area to ride again.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top