Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Something goes here...
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Umbrous said:
Interesting find this evening..Pete Fagerlin has posted some footage of Goat Camp on his web site. Great stuff, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll post some Holbert footage. :D

Check it out: http://www.petefagerlin.com
I LOVED GC when I rode it with Dale and the gang. Funboarder was there too. True, the end is very technical and overall it's a very difficult ride. Long, hilly and technical does not make for a ride for newbies...but oh so much fun if you're into torturing yourself (which I am). I rode everything on my Burner. I only have a HT right now as I'm waiting for my Dean FS to arrive but once it's here, I'll be looking to ride GC again, and again and again!!!
 

·
Just another half mile...
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Missing the good stuff.....

Great video!! brought back lots of memories of rides gone past. But, I did saw lots of dabbing going on most of the milder stuff (per Goat Camp standrds) and didn't see much of the real techi stuff that Goat Camp is famous for. I would see more video of the more techi stuff to see how they fared.

Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly. Back in Dec a group of five of rode it and came out with two busted up helmets from four big OTB's. Here are some more PICS from some of our past Goat Camp rides. One of my favorite trails in the valley!

funboarder1971 said:
Yes, Goat Camp is very difficult. I did the climbs really well, the downhill stuff at the end had me walking most of the way.
 

·
Ouch, I am hot!
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
Epicrider said:
Great video!! brought back lots of memories of rides gone past. But, I did saw lots of dabbing going on most of the milder stuff (per Goat Camp standrds) and didn't see much of the real techi stuff that Goat Camp is famous for. I would see more video of the more techi stuff to see how they fared.

Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly. Back in Dec a group of five of rode it and came out with two busted up helmets from four big OTB's. Here are some more PICS from some of our past Goat Camp rides. One of my favorite trails in the valley!
Although I have not ridden Goat Camp, I have to agree with Dale here. I have seen Pete's Goat Camp video, as well as most of his others. Looking at this video, I was not super impressed with the riding skills compared to some of Pete's other films. Of course, I have no idea what GC is like, but just looking at this video it seemed that there was in fact a lot of dabbing on milder stuff. Some of Pete's other videos show some amazing skills, such as climbs up the lower Waterfall. Now, my take on this may change if I ever ride GC, but I have to agree with Dale here as he is the super-uber-master guru and I believe what he says. Plus, he rides a Turner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Yeah, the guy from Seattle really impressed me... I expected Dale to do really well, since he is a standard I try to measure up to.

Crash_FLMB said:
I LOVED GC when I rode it with Dale and the gang. Funboarder was there too. True, the end is very technical and overall it's a very difficult ride. Long, hilly and technical does not make for a ride for newbies...but oh so much fun if you're into torturing yourself (which I am). I rode everything on my Burner. I only have a HT right now as I'm waiting for my Dean FS to arrive but once it's here, I'll be looking to ride GC again, and again and again!!!
 

·
Just another half mile...
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Find your way out to White Tanks.....

Find your way out to white Tanks. From Phx and east valley locations, take I-10 west to Loop 303, then north to Olive. Take a left and head west on Olive and will take you directly into the park. Here's my MAP of the route we take when we ride GC. The trail head is located on Black Canyon drive which is the first left after the gate house.

Bring armor for the DH and your climbing legs for the long sustained climbs to get to the top. Don't forget to take the little side trail to Willow Springs, a great place to take a break!

dft said:
does anyone have directions to this ride. i am going out there next month and really want to do this ride, but can't find a writeup of it.

thanks
 
G

·
Great site

Great Site...I can't wait to go home and watch the video's (blocked at work).

Umbrous said:
Interesting find this evening..Pete Fagerlin has posted some footage of Goat Camp on his web site. Great stuff, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll post some Holbert footage. :D

Check it out: http://www.petefagerlin.com
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
39,567 Posts
Epicrider said:
Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly.
So, harder than holbert? (longer obviously), but is it more technically difficult?
 

·
Saucy Size
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
Jayem said:
So, harder than holbert? (longer obviously), but is it more technically difficult?
Haven't ridden GC yet, but all signs point to "YES OH GOD YES". According to those who have ridden both.

It sounds like a pretty daunting challenge, and I suspect you'd really like it. I rode Holbert for the first time in many years a couple weekends ago and I felt like I was way over my head in a couple sections. Long sections. Okay, I was NOT over my head in a couple sections, but otherwise ...

pl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
Epicrider said:
Find your way out to white Tanks. From Phx and east valley locations, take I-10 west to Loop 303, then north to Olive. Take a left and head west on Olive and will take you directly into the park. Here's my MAP of the route we take when we ride GC. The trail head is located on Black Canyon drive which is the first left after the gate house.

Bring armor for the DH and your climbing legs for the long sustained climbs to get to the top. Don't forget to take the little side trail to Willow Springs, a great place to take a break!
thanks a bunch. we are going their persidents weekend. if you want to ride it, your welcome to join us and show it to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Jayem said:
So, harder than holbert? (longer obviously), but is it more technically difficult?
I've ridden the Goat Camp Loop DH three times, and Holbert too many to count. The Goat Camp DH is very much more difficult than Holbert, or any of the other SoMo DH trails you have ridden before.

The biggest problem is the 13+ miles of hard trail riding before the GC downhill make it impossible to get up there on a real DH rig, or to wear full armor, but for those last two miles it sure would be nice to have the big bike.

It's a real ass-kicker, and not a trail to ride solo if you are going to do the full loop.

John W.
 

·
mr. wonderful
Joined
·
879 Posts
papajohn said:
I've ridden the Goat Camp Loop DH three times, and Holbert too many to count. The Goat Camp DH is very much more difficult than Holbert, or any of the other SoMo DH trails you have ridden before.
absolutely! everything on SoMo, except viejo, is baby stuff compared to goat camp, and even viejo is a LOT easier than goat camp. holbert is buff in comparison.

here's the best i can describe it. on 24th street, take the tough right switch to the left turn through the rock squeeze box section, steepen it by 10 degrees, throw in a few more 2' ledges for good measure (on the turns, of course), mix it up with baby heads, soccer balls, and tombstones, and extend it continuously over 2-1/2 miles. now you've got goat camp. AND there is no shuttle. you've either got to die with your big bike up the longest climb in the valley, or die with you little bike on the descent.

i'll be leading a ride on it during the spring fling for those who are still interested. that said, it is the best ride in phoenix.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
39,567 Posts
papajohn said:
I've ridden the Goat Camp Loop DH three times, and Holbert too many to count. The Goat Camp DH is very much more difficult than Holbert, or any of the other SoMo DH trails you have ridden before.

The biggest problem is the 13+ miles of hard trail riding before the GC downhill make it impossible to get up there on a real DH rig, or to wear full armor, but for those last two miles it sure would be nice to have the big bike.

It's a real ass-kicker, and not a trail to ride solo if you are going to do the full loop.

John W.
Well...I have a new weapon that seems perfect. ;)

I also like all forms of pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
Epicrider said:
Find your way out to white Tanks. From Phx and east valley locations, take I-10 west to Loop 303, then north to Olive. Take a left and head west on Olive and will take you directly into the park. Here's my MAP of the route we take when we ride GC. The trail head is located on Black Canyon drive which is the first left after the gate house.

Bring armor for the DH and your climbing legs for the long sustained climbs to get to the top. Don't forget to take the little side trail to Willow Springs, a great place to take a break!
one quick question after looking at the map. what is the reason to take the long route at the beginning (the yellow) when you could just take the red trail labeled MQ? are you missing any down with that?
 

·
Just another half mile...
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Good Warm up before the big climb.....

The extra distance gets you all good and warmed up before you start the big climb. Jumping on Mesquite (MQ) trail right at the beginning takes you straight up with out much of a warm up. Taking Ford Canyon over to Waddell adds about a mile and half of some fun singletrack before the grueling climb.

dft said:
one quick question after looking at the map. what is the reason to take the long route at the beginning (the yellow) when you could just take the red trail labeled MQ? are you missing any down with that?
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top