Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 turned out to be a strange year and I didn't (wasn't able) to ride as much as i wanted. So I thought I would list some riding goals for 2009 and encourage others to do the same.

BOLD are places I've never ridden.

Local areas to ride on a regular basis:
Lackawanna State Park - Merli Sarnoski Park - Hubbard - Prompton - Moosic Mountain Conservancy

Semi-local areas to ride occasionally:
Frances Slocum State Park - Moon Lake - Middle Earth/Upper Earth/Lower Earth - Rattling Creek - French Creek State Park - Michaux - Upstate NY trails -

Weekend and longer MTB trips:
Rothrock - Kingdom Trails - Pisgah/Tsali - Souther Traverse, Virginia

Benefit Road Rides
Tour de Scranton - maybe a MS150

Race more:
some Campmor H2H races - some MASS races - Cascade Classic (formerly CAT Classic) - possibly a 12hr or 24hr race (as part of a team)

Mileage goals:
MTB - 1000 miles
Road - at least 1000 miles

What are your goals for 2009????

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Fitness Goals:
170lbs -means I get to join the 'century' club of weight loss :)

Race Goals:
6+ Marathon/Enduro races w/2+ being 24/solo efforts
Be competitive in MASS sport singlespeed class
Upgrade to Cat 3(B) in cross

Ride Goals:
Spend more time outside the local scene in places like Michaux, Rothrock, Rattling Creek, Fair Hill, etc...
Take my 4y.o. son out on the trails for his first time

Trail Maintenance:
Finish up the SME connectors to complete the loop on-property

Mileage:
More than 2008

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Looks like something is missing...

SLAMA said:
2008 turned out to be a strange year and I didn't (wasn't able) to ride as much as i wanted. So I thought I would list some riding goals for 2009 and encourage others to do the same.

BOLD are places I've never ridden.

Local areas to ride on a regular basis:
Lackawanna State Park - Merli Sarnoski Park - Hubbard - Prompton - Moosic Mountain Conservancy

Semi-local areas to ride occasionally:
Frances Slocum State Park - Moon Lake - Middle Earth/Upper Earth/Lower Earth - Rattling Creek - French Creek State Park - Michaux - Upstate NY trails -

Weekend and longer MTB trips:
Rothrock - Kingdom Trails - Pisgah/Tsali - Souther Traverse, Virginia

Benefit Road Rides
Tour de Scranton - maybe a MS150

Race more:
some Campmor H2H races - some MASS races - Cascade Classic (formerly CAT Classic) - possibly a 12hr or 24hr race (as part of a team)

Mileage goals:
MTB - 1000 miles
Road - at least 1000 miles

What are your goals for 2009????
No BASH mentioned....I hope it is an oversight....every BASH I have been to ..you have been to....kinda won't be a BASH without you two!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Last year I rode more than ever, so I cant top that. At 38 years old, I lost 52 pounds last year and have been able to keep it off, so I want to continue to maintain that. I got married last year so that's all taken care of.

One thing I want to do more of in 2009 is explore more of the local riding areas. I've lived in Pittsburgh just over two years and still haven't been to Hartwood or Deer Lakes, etc. I'm so spoiled having Frick Park as my back yard. I didn't have to load the bike up once, well the mountain bike that is. Its so addicting to just ride down your driveway and down a block and in to the woods.

I started trail running last year, and want that to become more for maintaining fitness. Virtually all my riding time last year was hammering through the woods. I want to ride more for fun this year.

I also want to finally get to Blue Marsh.

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
Chriffer said:
My main goal is to do a ride of more than 3000 miles.
Chriffer:

I think we can fit that in at the mOOn with 3 laps of all the trails built in 2008! NFS, Swill of your Life, 5858, Burt's, including all the Big, Shiny, Chrome, Rocks you like to ride over!

LOL:thumbsup:

·
Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
268 Posts
More defined goals for 2009

Double Century
I have plans of completing a double century in one day on the road bike this year. 16 hours or less is my personal goal. I am shooting mid July. This will most likely be the hottest time of year, but it will also be the longest day is also in July. I have a general route planned from Hazleton,Pa to Rehoboth Beach, De. I would like to get at least 5 people to join me on the trip. Any takers?

In preperation for my double century:
- I bought an indoor trainer to offset my limited outdoor riding. Darn cold weather, err
- Loose 40 lbs
- 50-75 mile trail ride in Mt Top area. The more single track the better.
- At least one road Century. Hazleton to Allentown and/or Hazleton to Scranton
- 150 road ride. This will include the begining section of the Double Century. Maybe 75 miles out and back, something to get a feel for the route.

Other Goals
Identify a safe route to ride to and from work, off or on road
Assist in more trail work days

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
ScottRPriester said:
I'm so spoiled having Frick Park as my back yard. I didn't have to load the bike up once, well the mountain bike that is. Its so addicting to just ride down your driveway and down a block and in to the woods.
God to I miss that! I used to live in Point Breeze and was down my driveway and on singletrack in two minutes.
Long live the Iron Gate! Never go to the 'Burgh w/o taking a few runs down that trail.

That being said, you need to get out to Hardwood. Never been to Deer Lakes to ride mountain bikes (too many road races their to count), but I hear it's good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been on a weight loss/exercise program since April 1st of last year. At that time I was 327 lbs. :( Now down to 244 and hoping to be below 200 before the new year.

This is my first year riding so my riding goals are pretty much to get as much seat time as possible and some time hitting as many PA trails that I can. It's a 2.7 mile trip from my front door to one of the trail heads at Boyce Park. So I will spend a lot of time there this year learning the basics.

I'm also fortunate to have some private land nearby with some single track that was cleared out for dirt biking. I plan to explore that as well.

I would also like to do the MS150 from Moraine to Erie either this year or next year. But with only 3 months to train I think it's unrealistic to get in that type of riding shape.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lose some more weight........ride more..........figure out the off-road way to work for the mtn bike.......? bike upgrade.......maybe a crit race or 2.......try the H2H series......Tom let me know about the Delaware trip, I have friends down in Frederica De. , Wilmington, De., Smyrna, De., and some connections at Kent County General Hospital in Dover, so I might be able to arrange some support down that way.
The other Mt Top Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.