Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have an 04 Cannondale Chase? A LBS says they'll "blow out" an 04 that's left which could make it attractive compared to lower cost bikes I'm interested in. I'm wondering if it's too much of a dedicated dirt jumper for what I want.

I'm looking at tough hard tails more for neighborhood and urban play than true dirt jumping. I liked the way the Fisher Biggins bikes rode and Mullet's price is good because this will be a bike that will get wet, locked outside places and just not be a primary bike at all. I've tried Giant STP, Kona Scrap, Specialized Ps too. STP and Mullet seemed most friendly in terms of riding between point A and B which is important because I have 4-5 miles to the best city dirt rock and log play area. What ever I purchase will also be mine to ride on single track if my wife chooses my Enduro for trail riding (there is good and bad to having wife same height).

I think the Chase did not feel as good to me because of the longer chain stays and longer heavy fork. That said, I think the DJ III can be changed from 130mm to 110 for slow and trials type stuff.

Comments appreciated.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Go with what feels best to you. If you get the chase because of the price and not the fit, you'll be kicking yourself later because it doesn't ride well for you.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
what he said. Go with what feels ergonomic, but whatever you do, do not worry about that bike being an 2004 because DJ technology doesn't change fast at all. The marzocchi DJ is a PIG.(about as heavy as the fox 40).

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
j6105 said:
what he said. Go with what feels ergonomic, but whatever you do, do not worry about that bike being an 2004 because DJ technology doesn't change fast at all. The marzocchi DJ is a PIG.(about as heavy as the fox 40).
Actually, i think its over 1/2 lbs heavier than a 40 or a Boxxer WC.

·
Registered
819 Posts
both my friends have the stp 1 and a chase 3 2005. i like the chase more, but the stp might, not possitive, ride better on single track. my .02 cents

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sreiman said:
both my friends have the stp 1 and a chase 3 2005. i like the chase more, but the stp might, not possitive, ride better on single track. my .02 cents
Thanks for all of the comments. Model year does not bother me at all - I still use the Brooks saddle I got in 1975, 7 speed thumb shifters and haul beer in the steel basket on my 1960s Schwinn!

I think it really is the heavy DJ III on the Chase that's the issue because the rest of the bike actually feels light compared to some of the others. I do have a 105 mm MX Comp that would be a cheap start to make it better for slow play.

The Fisher really is fun. I suppose I should get over the cheap components and remember that this is supposed to be an alternative to my nicer bikes.

With luck I can check out the final contenders again today. The bike shops are between the two places I'll work at. And of course remind myself that $ from the bike I just sold is supposed to be left over!

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.