Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the line up for the Olympics Mens mountain bike race.

USA is back in the summer games again and lacking in the talent field when it comes to Mountain Biking (road seems to be a different story these days)! I'm putting money on Belgium, Canada, and the Swiss to take home some hardware! Outsiders looking in: Netherlands and another Canadian????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/2004/schedules/156035ByEvent.html

Still I love the watching the olympics! :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
roy harley said:
Here is the line up for the Olympics Mens mountain bike race.

USA is back in the summer games again and lacking in the talent field when it comes to Mountain Biking (road seems to be a different story these days)! I'm putting money on Belgium, Canada, and the Swiss to take home some hardware! Outsiders looking in: Netherlands and another Canadian????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/2004/schedules/156035ByEvent.html

Still I love the watching the olympics! :D
I wouldn't put money on Belgium, but one of the Frenchmen might have a chance, and Liam Killeen is a good outside chance - won on this course back in October and is a great young talent.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
From what I can gather, it's on NBC primetime Friday and Saturday (go to nbc.com, and just start poking around; it's hard to navigate though). If that is the case, I'm guessing they will do some sort of highlight/recap instead of the whole races.

·
Registered
189 Posts
scorcher seb said:
I wouldn't put money on Belgium, but one of the Frenchmen might have a chance, and Liam Killeen is a good outside chance - won on this course back in October and is a great young talent.
Paul Roelson (belgium) is either ranked first or second in the world cup series (since filip retired). He's a definite medal challenger. He's beaten filip on several occasions this year.

Best shots, IMO. Roelson, Sauser. Other than that it's pretty open. But these two guys have dominated this year.

·
Registered
515 Posts
turdburgle said:
Paul Roelson (belgium) is either ranked first or second in the world cup series (since filip retired). He's a definite medal challenger. He's beaten filip on several occasions this year.

Best shots, IMO. Roelson, Sauser. Other than that it's pretty open. But these two guys have dominated this year.
I don't know about Paul Roelson, but Roel Paulissen has a chance. I wouldn't put money on any country with only one rider representing them though. As far as I'm aware they haven't replaced Meirhaeghe, but I could be wrong.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
turdburgle said:
he's also out due to NOT QUALIFYING for the Canadian team due to terrible performance. His crappy performance this year is being blamed on the concussion he got at the tour of georgia in april of 2003.
On December 31, 2003 the UCI rankings archive show Roland Green as the top Canadian in Men's XC (13th overall, next CDN rider is Hesjdahl in 17th). The Olympic team selections are made on the basis of December 31 rankings. Performance in the 2004 season doesn't affect selection, as that's too late to send team selections to the IOC.

Kn.

·
Registered
189 Posts
K'Endo said:
On December 31, 2003 the UCI rankings archive show Roland Green as the top Canadian in Men's XC (13th overall, next CDN rider is Hesjdahl in 17th). The Olympic team selections are made on the basis of December 31 rankings. Performance in the 2004 season doesn't affect selection, as that's too late to send team selections to the IOC.

Kn.
Where the hell did you get that idea? You have no idea what you are talking about. All the best Canadians were rocking the world cup circuit this year with hopes of doing well enough to qualify for the olympic team. I

The canadian men were chosen at the end of July 2004. The selection for the 2 athletes was 1. world cup performance. 2. commitee selection

Hesjedal was chosen based on world cup performance. Saemus Mgrath was selected by the comittee.

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

Check out this website for information on selection to the canadian olympic team.

Here's a press release regarding Canada Olympic selection

Olympic Selection Announcement Delayed

It appears that official announcement of the Canadian cycling team will not happen until next Monday now (July 19th), when the COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) presents the full Canadian Olympic squad. According to Canadian Cycling Association Acting Director-General Brett Stewart, the selection committee met (by conference call) on July 7th to finalize the team. They have contacted all the eligible athletes (who are under strict instructions not to discuss selections), and the nominations have been sent to the COC for final approval. The CCA must wait for final COC approval before announcing the squad. Stewart says that he expects that to happen July 19th. In an e-mail, Brett Stewart described the situation as follows:

The CCA cannot say anything about the selected riders until the green light is given by COC.

- The HPC (High Performance Committee) finalized the athlete selections for the Olympics on July 7th.
- All eligible riders were contacted by CCA staff and notified of their individual status. The riders are not to discuss this until the official announcement.
- All athlete selections must be submitted to COC by Monday July 12th.
- The COC reviews all selections and confirm that athlete selections are consistent with the approved criteria/process.
- The COC will ultimately release a list of all Olympic selected riders. Then individual sports may make independent releases.
- Individual athletes have the right to appeal their situation (non-selection).
- All appeals are to be channeled through the COC. COC will involve ADR in all cases. ADR will review the process of selection as it applies to the athlete. ADR will render a finding. (Any appeal will take a matter of days to resolve).

While the official announcement will not happen for a week, we have confirmed through various sources that our "unofficial" team selection is correct (see Daily News July 11/04 11:35 am EDT). We also note that numerous news outlets have been contacting us to try and get more information out of us...

The only thing that happened with the dec 31 UCI rankings were that the number of start spots for each nation was decided based on UCI ranking of each nation. After that each country is allowed to use whatever criteria they want to send athletes to the olympics.

·
Registered
189 Posts
press realease july 19 2004. canadian olympic cycling team announced

SYDOR LEADS CYCLISTS TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Press Release - July 19, 2004

SYDOR LEADS CYCLISTS TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Three-time World Champion Alison Sydor will lead a group of twelve athletes to Athens to compete in the Olympic Games next month. Sydor, a native of North Vancouver, BC, will be attending her fourth Olympics. She represented Canada at the 1992 Games in the Women's Road Race where she finished 12th. In the 1996 Games in Atlanta, she competed for the first time in mountain bike and won the Silver medal. At the Sydney Games in 2000, she finished 5th. She has won an incredible 12 World Championship medals throughout her illustrious career. She was an automatic selection based on her outstanding resume of medal winning performances.

Joining Sydor on the start line for the women's mountain bike event will be the 2004 National Champion, Marie-Helene Premont, of Chateau-Richer, QC and Kiara Bisaro of Courtney, BC. For both it will be their first Olympic Games experience.

In the men's mountain bike event, Canada will be represented by the silver medalist from the 2003 Mountain Bike World Championships, Ryder Hesjedal, from Victoria, BC and Seamus McGrath, from Millgrove, ON, winner of the silver medal at the 2002 Commonwealth Games. For both athletes, it will be their first experience at the Olympic Games.

Lori-Ann Muenzer, from Edmonton, AB, will be Canada's representative in Track cycling. The double medallist from the 2002 World Championships and winner of the bronze medal in the Sprint event from the 2004 World Championships will compete in the 500m Time Trial and the Sprint events. She is the defending National Champion in both events. She represented Canada at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and finished 13th in the 500m Time Trial.

In the road events, Michael Barry, from Toronto, ON will lead the three-man team to Athens to compete in the Individual Road Race. Barry, who finished 7th at the 2003 Road World Championships will be joined by the 2004 Road National Champion, Gord Fraser, from Ottawa, ON and by Eric Wohlberg, from Levack, ON. For Barry, this will be the second time he has represented Canada at the Olympic Games, having participated in the Individual Road Race in 1996 in Atlanta. Fraser and Wohlberg will each be competing at their third Olympic Games. Both competed at the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games. In 2000, Fraser finished 16th in the Individual Road Race and Wohlberg finished 20th in the Individual Time Trial.

In the women's Individual Road Race event, the 2004 Road National Champion, Lyne Bessette, from Knowlton, QC, will lead the three-woman team to Athens. This will be her second appearance at the Olympic Games. She participated at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, finishing 22nd in the Individual Road Race. Bessette will be joined by Susan Palmer-Komar, of Hamilton, ON and Manon Jutras, of Montreal, QC. Palmer-Komar, the 2004 National Time Trial Champion, will be attending her second Olympics. She finished 10th in the Individual Road Race at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. For Jutras, this will be her first Olympic Games experience.

Bessette and Palmer-Komar will also compete in the Women's Individual Time Trial event in Athens.

Cycling's coaching staff will be comprised of Yury Kashirin, of Victoria, BC and Eric Van den Eynde, of St. Bruno, QC. Michel Leblanc, of St. Nicholas, QC will serve as an assistant to both of them. Troy Woodburn, of Victoria, BC will fill the role of Team Mechanic. Sean O'Donnell, of Beaconsfield, QC, will act as Team Leader.

For more information, please contact the Canadian Cycling Association at [email protected]

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
You're right.

You're a god and I am in awe of your greatness.

Kn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
skinny-tire said:
From what I can gather, it's on NBC primetime Friday and Saturday (go to nbc.com, and just start poking around; it's hard to navigate though). If that is the case, I'm guessing they will do some sort of highlight/recap instead of the whole races.
Actually the mens mtb race is sunday at 12:30 am (Eastern Standard Time i guess) on NBC

I'm not sure when the womens is.

·
Registered
515 Posts
scorcher seb said:
Well, I was close. Shame Liam Killeen got caught up in the hold-up at the start, but was fantastic to claw his way back from 17th or worse into 5th. Especially for one so young.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.