Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have their go pro recording freeze up? Looking at my recording today the video froze up through 3 8 minute clips. The audio came through fine, but it is like a still frame. I'm really bummed because I saw a coyote running across a frozen lake and I thought I got a really good shot of it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I haven't had the same issue but a different issue where the camera would freeze when stopping a recording. Resetting the camera didn't work. Reformatting the card fixed the issue. Maybe that'll help? Try to recover files off the card first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
... camera would freeze when stopping a recording. Resetting the camera didn't work. Reformatting the card fixed the issue...
This happened with my old Hero 7 Black. Press to stop a recording and the screen and camera froze while the timer kept counting up. Resetting sometimes worked, popping the battery would usually corrupt that video and sometimes the previous videos on the card. It was worse in warm/hot weather. Did multiple firmware updates over a few micro sd cards, no change.

Returned to the retailer, just out of 1 year warranty, had it sent away for assessment/repair expecting to pay.
2 months later the case had not progressed on the repair end, so the retailer gave me a full refund. Put it into a Hero 8 Black which was the same price by that time. Great camera.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happened with my old Hero 7 Black. Press to stop a recording and the screen and camera froze while the timer kept counting up. Resetting sometimes worked, popping the battery would usually corrupt that video and sometimes the previous videos on the card. It was worse in warm/hot weather. Did multiple firmware updates over a few micro sd cards, no change.

Returned to the retailer, just out of 1 year warranty, had it sent away for assessment/repair expecting to pay.
2 months later the case had not progressed on the repair end, so the retailer gave me a full refund. Put it into a Hero 8 Black which was the same price by that time. Great camera.
Mine is a Hero 8 black. Ha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the same issue but a different issue where the camera would freeze when stopping a recording. Resetting the camera didn't work. Reformatting the card fixed the issue. Maybe that'll help? Try to recover files off the card first.
Any idea how to recover the files? Like I said the Audio is there. I have tried to upload it on a different computer with a different adapter, and with different software.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it's still under warranty take it in asap. If it's not, see what the retailer can do for you, it seems to be a common problem.
I spent a fair bit of time on it but I was not able to salvage my frozen videos. They'd play on pc til video freeze and audio continued on. Hope you can find a way.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not sure how to recover files beyond what you've tried. I agree on trying the warranty route. Have you updated firmware? I had issues before updating and the issue above right after updating. After resetting and reformatting, it has been flawless ever since. I also reformat the card after removing videos from card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts