Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to go with a Go Pro camera and am wondering if the $300 HD helmet hero is worth the extra money over the $180 HD Hero 960. All opinions and advice are appreciated.
I posted this in the video and camera forum as well, but want some local advice too. I will be using it mtn biking as well as family hiking and hunting trips.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I suppose I would find some 960 vids and then some 1080 vids, and see if the difference is worth the price margin.

I think the $300 HD 1080p will prolly give you a few more extra mounting options.

If you are editing footage from two cameras (say one camera is a gopro and another is traditional handheld with a zoom), I think it is nice to have the same aspect ratio.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've found that the higher resolution you start out with, the better the upload quality will be. Unless you're paying for a full resolution upload acct. the videos get compressed quite a bit and the resolution suffers accordingly. I've been recording in 1080p and uploading in either HD or 960 and the difference is very clear. Here's a couple of mine for reference; The first is recorded in 1080 but uploaded at 960. The second is uploaded in HD (full resolution). The tripod shots in these were shot with a FLIP Mini HD btw, the GoPro was used for all the POV stuff.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you made my decision easy. I'm just gonna save my money cuz I don't have anything that good to record. Then I will add to the money I saved by not buying a video camera by selling my bikes because you also made me realize how horrible I am at riding. Thanks for crushing my dreams. My wife will be so happy with all the extra cash.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the all the info. I ended up ordering the 1080 earlier this afternoon. It was on sale for $250 plus I had a coupon code for 10% off. Bondo, if I would have seen your videos before I made the purchase, I may have gotten the 960. Good vids and looks like you have the camera position figured out.

Once I get the thing and record some stuff I'm sure I will have some questions with the editing process and software.

·
lurker extraordinaire
270 Posts
Experiment with it yourself since you may have a different opinion, but I find that 720 @ 60fps looks best. I did some recording at 1080 (at 30fps - it won't do 1080 at 60fps) and, while it definitely looked good, I like the video better in the 720/60fps setting.

Not that it matters now since you already ordered the 1080 model, but I don't even know if the 960 model does 720/60fps, which would immediately negate that model for me if I had to buy another now that I have had time to really use mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.