Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Is that the trail on the backside of the chief? The one after you climb to the chief and go down and than back up? 20 years ago on my old rock-hopper, I used to clean that. Now, on my fancy schmanzy full suspension bike, I can't make it. Man to be 20 again!
Yeah that's it (though there is a harder spot than this there--in my opinion)

The funny thing is 3 years ago I built this bike (first MTB) at age 39, and now 3 years later (42yrs old) I can FINALLY Clear It!!

--Funny thing ALSO the 'Fitness Shape I am in now' because of Mountain Biking.
It Blows Away what I could do 20 years ago!! (at 22 I could not even touch the net on a basketball court)--and now I can 'smack' the backboard... ---AND the people I knew who could Dunk a basketball 20 years ago (can't even play basketball now) because of knee's, back's, etc....

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts

Are you talking about the road to the top? Or is there a trail called widowmaker that I don't know about?
Nah, the road to the top is boring, but not too bad. Widowmaker is on the side near red lane. Starts down near the creek bed and ends up crossing the power lines. It may actually be slightly outside of the stewardship forest, but it is not posted.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hmmmm.....Some edits after reading responses...

....Climbs....
Lackawanna State Park.....Abington Trail about 4 different sections
then....Stoney cabin Ridge....short but steep and loose at the end....
Stairway to Heaven

Downhill.....
Tatto Alley ...
RollerCoasterSayWut!
DeadDeer Xtreme!
380 Trail....last part down to Lake francis road...
Moon Lake.....NFS...first steep section down to the service road.....

Will have to find some pics.....

·
Rolling on 650b
364 Posts
Up - Drakes creek singletrack up to summer mt. loop off 903 north of J.T. Also, not a full ride, but a steep climb off a back road to Tuscarora lake near Tamaqua. And the giants depair hill climb race - 600 vert in a mile (10:46 my best time). As for down Stinger and Grosses both good picks. Once biked down the glen onoko hiking trail from the top of the broad. That was scetchy!

·
Registered
355 Posts
For shear ridiculousness it would be hard to beat the hill from the railroad bed/deer dump down to the creek above the Ashley Tubs. The rock face at the top is insane steep and the rest of the trail is a bombed out rain rut in the best of years. Use to be a favorite dirtbike route but I’ve gone down it a few times on a mt bike. Then finish it off by going under 81 in the tunnel and out to Ashley.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That Stinger trail in Wellsboro during a race is a hard decent.
Are you saying the NFS lower section has been made before?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah that's it (though there is a harder spot than this there--in my opinion)

The funny thing is 3 years ago I built this bike (first MTB) at age 39, and now 3 years later (42yrs old) I can FINALLY Clear It!!

--Funny thing ALSO the 'Fitness Shape I am in now' because of Mountain Biking.
It Blows Away what I could do 20 years ago!! (at 22 I could not even touch the net on a basketball court)--and now I can 'smack' the backboard... ---AND the people I knew who could Dunk a basketball 20 years ago (can't even play basketball now) because of knee's, back's, etc....

Just getting started in my mid 30s, this is incredibly encouraging to read!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a newbie rider so I haven't been riding long, but the climb up the Abington Trail at Lackawanna State Park that JeffSkisMontana mentioned is def challenging. The climb up Bull Hill Trail at Lackawanna State Park is pretty tough too (for me anyways haha)

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Just getting started in my mid 30s, this is incredibly encouraging to read!
The more you get into Mountain Biking (the more you want to eat right and get in shape)---So it definately promotes a lifestyle change!!--in my opinion (especially the older you get)-----BUT I built my first bike 3 years ago strictly for Health and Fitness (and then just loved riding----)

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
A few more:

The climb outta Ole Bull State Park up the dirt road(name silps me right now) then Swartwood log skid to the top is a killer hill climb, coming down it's fast and with a abrupt stop at the bottom. If your not looking as one poor rider did in front of me at the race crashed right into the drainage pipe, flew over the dirt road down the other side minus his bike! He did get up and walk away, but not in good shape!

Campbell's Ledge climb, 2 miles to the top, private property, so I won't expand on that one!

The Wagon Road at Jim Thorpe going up to the top of Mt Pisgah, is one hell of a climb and with ltfubar's latest post in another thread we now have a grapic look at this killer climb!

ltfubar
"The road is mostly made of football and baseball sized loose rocks"
Thanks ltfubar!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
i forget it but i am sure one of you know the name. there is a descent in jim thorpe i have done a couple times.

starts at the top of broad mountain and goes all the way down to the river in a very direct manner. not only is the descent super gnarly; then you have to shimmy yourself and your bike across some narrow ass bridge pipe thing to cross the river and get to the fireroads back into town. i don't know if the descent or the shimmy over the fast moving water is scarier but that is probably the scariest thing i have been on in my years of riding.

·
fish
87 Posts
Havnt been to many trails with extreme hill climbs, but Blue Marsh definately has its share. Lol...love hills with no obstacles. Challanges my endurance"!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
you have to shimmy yourself and your bike across some narrow ass bridge pipe thing to cross the river and get to the fireroads back into town.
:eek:

I know the pipeline bridge your talking about never thought of crossing it....

you crossed over the tracks then the river or the other way around?

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Back in the 1980s that pipe saw more traffic than ever, in one of the old school JT map books I have, they tell you to cross that Pipeline!

Ah, the good ol' "less lawyers around" days!... LOL

sent from the rider formally known as "Ridetime" <(o)>

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know the pipeline bridge your talking about never thought of crossing it....
that looks like the same type of bridge for sure but the one we shimmied over is not so high and just goes over a creek not train tracks as well.

and as a bonus i think my memory decided to cooperate; the trail is called jane's run i believe. woo gnarly! :D

21 - 40 of 64 Posts