Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons friend came rolling over in a GMC Yukon fat bike he found in a dumpster or something. It is surprisingly light and shifts well considering it's condition.

However, the front brake doesn't work at all and the pads seem ok. I think they are just trashed from having some goop in the or something. They are small and round and the brake has a "ABK" logo. Anyone know what pads to buy?
Hand Tire Automotive tire Bicycle Finger

Hand Bicycle handlebar Tool Automotive tire Bicycle chain

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned up the pads, they do seem to be squeezing the rotor and just slipping. I tightened up the brakes a lot to see if that would help and it didn't. Same minimal performance (can hear them hit the rotor) with less lever pull. I would assume a locked caliper would mean that adjusting them makes no difference. But you do make a good point, I don't know if these are dual or single side pull, maybe only one side is moving. Will check the rear and compare to the front. The rears are working fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you pull the lever farther if you remove the wheel? If so the calipers are probably ok.

To try to resurrect the pads what I do is a 30 second - 1 minute interval on the bike while dragging the brake in question to keep my speed around 10-15 mph. Let the rotors cool off, test the brakes, and repeat as needed. Has always worked for me, even if they got completely soaked in oil.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The calipers do seem to be functioning. When I squeeze them, the outer side shifts inwards towards the wheel to rub on the disc and pushes it with a slight bend towards the inner pad. They don't have dual action (not sure if you call manual mechanical calipers single or dual piston). I can actually see the rotor bend slightly as it squeezes against it. So, calipers appear to be working fine.

I will try out your pad cleaning approach and see how that work. For what looks like is $7 for a set of pads, I would like to stop screwing with it and just throw new ones in there if I knew what to buy. Plenty of round ones on amazon, but not sure which would fit.

Tom

Reactions: maynard4130

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd recommend you try squeezing the lever with the wheel removed anyway. It's possible that the caliper can move the pad most of the way but something is stopping it from reaching full clamping force. This could be due to something failed or is corroded, or it could be poorly adjusted (the lever could be reaching full travel before the caliper is clamping fully).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.