Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Not really, the optic holder not only centers the optic over the LED but in some cases also holds the optic the correct hight above the LED or to put it another way there is a slight air gap between LED and optic for correct focus. Also most glue will fog the acrylic optic and what if you whant to change it latter!

·
Registered
216 Posts
what about for something like the triple cree kit from cutter, as it has little legs that fit into holes away from the leds. if i could glue them together then i can press the whole thing into a bit of aluminium tubing which would save a bit of hassle on the whole assembly issue :confused:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
ants said:
what about for something like the triple cree kit from cutter, as it has little legs that fit into holes away from the leds. if i could glue them together then i can press the whole thing into a bit of aluminium tubing which would save a bit of hassle on the whole assembly issue :confused:
I use silicone RTV on mine, just a spot on each leg. The legs are well away from the leds.

Glue them after you've stuck the MCPCB (plate with the leds on) into your housing.

Optics work on TIR (total internal reflection) so stuffing the rounded back surface is not good(needs the acrylic/air interface to work correctly). Some optics have holders and you can glue the holders to the MCPCB, others have flat portions...tape is recommended to stick these down but I've used glue.

G

·
You could glue the little legs into the holes. I did this with a single lens from Lumitronix that had three little legs so didn't require a holder. They recomended hot melt glue or something but it was a long time ago and I cant remember what glue I ended up useing.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.