The Gloworm X2 is one of the surprises of the year. Born and raised on the Mtbr forums with headquarters in New Zealand, a couple of entrepreneurs listened to what the market had to say and delivered a product that addressed their needs.
Gloworm X2 features a small head unit that weighs 80 grams but delivers a dual beam pattern at a claimed 1200 Lumens. The beam is quite remarkable as it has both throw and a decent spread. And the brightness measured 111 Mtbr Lux which puts it right around 1200 Lumens.
The light has a wired remote switch that will keep your hands away from the head unit that can get hot. And it will bring the switch by your fingertips when the light is bar mounted. The light also includes a bar mount in addition to the helmet mount.
And finally, battery pack looks good with Panasonic cells and a fuel gauge on the pack. Run time is an excellent 2.5 hours at max output.
- Price: $219
- Claimed Lumens: 1200 Lumens
- Measured Lumens: 1148 Lumens
- Measured MTBR Lux: 111 Lux
- Light Head Weight: 80 grams
- Installed Weight: 337 grams
- Run Time: 2.5 Hours
- Category: High End
- Great beam pattern
- Claimed 1200 Lumens is accurate
- both mounts included and remote switch as well
- Configurable light modes including overdrive 'bush' mode
- Good packaging and materials
- Lenses are interchangeable with flood, spot or combination
- An amazing value for the money
- Battery is too heavy to mount on the helmet
- Spot optic should be a tighter spot to achieve farther throw
- Mounting for remote switch needs to be more secure for the handlebars
Standard mount is a helmet mount attached with a velcro strap. A simple handlebar mount that is attached with a rubber band is included as well. This center mounts the light and the wired remote switch can be mounted close to the fingers.
MTBR Light Meter Measurements: Compare all lights here.
This light measured 111 Lux on our ambient light measurement facility.
Integrating Sphere Measured Lumens: Compare all lights here.
This light measured 1148 lumens in an integrating sphere. Claimed Lumens by the manufacturer is 1200 Lumens. The Lumen-hour graph below shows how the light performs over the first three minutes of its battery cycle.
Backyard Beam Pattern Photo: Compare all lights here.
We photographed the lights in the same location setting with the same camera settings. The photos were taken in the back yard that is approximately 25 yards long. These photos feature many objects and a distinct background to analyze detail and beam pattern.