Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I prefer fingerless in the warmer weather. A few reasons: 1) I like to take pics. Easier to operate the controls of my point and click. 2) I like the feel of the brakes, handlebar, etc, but like the grip of gloves and the light padding they provide. 3) I can do something like chain a tube with the gloves on.

I suppose you could put, "they aren't as hot as full finger gloves" on the list. But, I've worn lighter full finger gloves and you sweat with or without the darn fingers.

I prefer full finger when it gets colder for warmth. I've got a couple pair of Fox anti-freeze gloves. These have liners. They can get me through the Fall and early winter by starting without the liners, then adding them.

But, when it gets real cold, I've got 2 more progressions: First, my lobster claws from Pearl Izumi and my strongest defense against the cold involves Moose Mitts with light glove liners inside.

·
Registered
625 Posts
am using the BIONIC Men's Fitness Gloves Full.

ive been going for a 6mile ride as my cardio warm-up before hitting the gym so this pair has been working out well for me..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've pretty much always worn fingerless gloves, but a few months ago (after losing a brand new pair of giro monacos) I decided to give some full fingered Giro Bravos a try, and they're great! I feel like I have much better grip than before (especially when it comes to braking) and I really like the added protection I get from these. They're also really not much hotter than the fingerless gloves were that I've used in the past (all mesh on top, no padding). I know a lot of people use mechanics gloves and love them, but in my experience they tend to not fit as tightly around the fingers as bike specific gloves do, and they're usually much hotter.

A lot depends on what type of riding you do, so I'd narrow down how much protection you feel you need/want then just go to a bike shop and try a bunch on. Get whatever feels comfortable to you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I started with fingerless gloves. Had my first OTB experience, cut my finger just outside of the glove, and decided to go full finger. Not saying I wouldn't have dinged myself with full finger, but so far I like them better.

The padding is different in my full finger, too. more geared to flat bars than road bars.

Attachments

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Full finger here, but my biggest reason is I sweat like a monsoon. On a warm day I can't hold onto my bars with fingerless; full fingers give me excellent grip regardless of how soaked my hands are.

The extra protection is a bonus and the added heat trivial.

Regardless of whether you choose full fingers or not, you also have to figure out it you need palm padding or not. For some, the palm padding works quite well, whereas for others it only causes problems.

-Pete

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
fingerless. I have some fingered gloves, but never wear them. I guess I could if it gets cold...

·
Registered
625 Posts
just realized my BIONIC GYM gloves is not really designed for a bike read, plus ive noticed my gloves are stinking of sweat!

i use my iphone as my trip/fitness computer and im looking for a TOUCH SCREEN COMPATIBLE mtb gloves and found the SPECIALIZED BG GEL WIRETAP.

unfortunately i cant seem to find them STATESIDE, nor at AMAZON... has anyone used these pair?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Full finger for protection. No padding in the palm, please. Has to fit like a glove.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.