Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been through three pairs of gloves, all with the same problem: stitching comes undone like it wasn't even tied together. No crashing, no trail work, no wrestling with my dog, etc. Just riding.
All of these but Giros were Large, and were actually a little loose. I can see how the Giros suffered a little more since they were kinda tight.
I don't crash often, and usually my elbows take the hit anyway, and I wear Large now so the gloves aren't stressed too much and have a little room.

First it was fox dirtpaws, started coming apart at the thumbs. I had to sew them a little every 3 or so rides. Then the forefinger on both, then I was done. Lasted about 3 months.
Then I tried Giro DNDs and freaking COMMITTED. Lasted a month without issues, then pretty much every finger but the thumb started coming apart at the sides. After 6 months of sewing them together, the thumbs started to go, and a couple months later the palm near the thumb as well and the white padding inside fell off. Then I crashed and they were destroyed.

Then I tried Bontrager, which my brother has with great results (a short finger model though), and I went for the Evoke mountain one, the red one.
Lasted two months. Then thumbs started to go, then forefinger....I'm so fcking done. I'm getting a freaking dummy thumb out of fabric to cover the original ones so they work like a shield, but other than that i don't know what to do. It looks like the middle finger is about to go as well on the right glove.
I'm thinking about trying Handup Gloves but I just don't know what the f to aim for anymore. We got IXS and Spesh at the LBS, but idk, they look flimsy.

I commute daily and ride, train and race XC. DH like two days a year for fun. I like full finger gloves with good ventilation if possible, and all of these gloves were fine on that aspect. Is there any brand whose stitching actually holds up to DAILY riding? Mechanix? Moto gloves? What's left?

Am I just unlucky af?

Thanks in advance.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Strange, I had one pair of Giro DND that did the same thing. Contacted Giro and then sent me another pair out free of charge. Those are still going strong but while I had been waiting for those in the main I got a pair of TASCO light weight gloves and two pairs of HandUp gloves. All of those are going strong still aside from the little rubber parts that make up the logos on the palms of the HandUP coming off (peeling). I ride 10+ miles a day at least 3-5days a week starting Marching through November (usually depending on weather) in a hot, dry climate. I know that lots of people seem to like the Mechanix gloves but until I have some major issues with the HandUP or Tasco's I will be sticking with them, always seem to be cool guys and customer service (met the Tasco owner at a local race) for both have been awesome.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had bad luck with numerous pairs of 100% gloves, so I'd stay away from those. I also switched to Tasco gloves but don't quite have a full season on them. They've been holding up good and I like the fit of them so far.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A lot of Mechanix gloves are seriously durable. I can't bring myself to ride in them but I do use them for trail work.

The cheap motocross gloves like the dirtpaw seem to be made as disposable gloves. If you get Fox's higher end gloves they should last much longer. I'm using the Fox Pawtector right now and love it. It's pretty light so I don't expect it to last a whole season or anything. The Fox Bomber gloves are extremely durable in my experience. I used a set for trail riding dirt bikes, commuting/joy riding on a sportbike and mountain biking.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Fox ranger gels: Stitching at the cuffs fell apart and started making its way up the ball of the thumb within 2 months.

Fox Defend glove: Nylon material of the backhand seems durable and stitching to the palm also durable, but the rubber protective bits on the back of the hand are a joke and have been falling off since the first ride.

POC resistance pro DH: Craftsmanship and stitching are top notch despite running a bit small, but the price is ridiculous (I got a good deal on them) and I’m waiting to see how the palms fare after a crash or two as they seem as if they are the weakest part of the glove relatively speaking.

I have some mechanix tactical gloves I wear for shooting and have worn mountain biking. The models I’ve used are bombproof, but don’t breathe well enough for hot pedally days. Were good for lift service on all but the hottest days,

Fox cold weather attack: waiting to test in fall.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've been using some thor mx spectrum gloves now for almost eight months and they have held up well. They do stink and get washed once a month now but they have lasted a lot longer than I expected.

prior to these gloves I had some fox dirtpaws that maybe were good for a month before they started coming apart and so I gave the thor gloves a chance and they have performed better than expected and I bought another two pairs just to have one as backup and a pair in each vehicle

Finger Orange Costume accessory Toy Costume

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fox ranger gels: Stitching at the cuffs fell apart and started making its way up the ball of the thumb within 2 months.

Fox Defend glove: Nylon material of the backhand seems durable and stitching to the palm also durable, but the rubber protective bits on the back of the hand are a joke and have been falling off since the first ride.

POC resistance pro DH: Craftsmanship and stitching are top notch despite running a bit small, but the price is ridiculous (I got a good deal on them) and I'm waiting to see how the palms fare after a crash or two as they seem as if they are the weakest part of the glove relatively speaking.

I have some mechanix tactical gloves I wear for shooting and have worn mountain biking. The models I've used are bombproof, but don't breathe well enough for hot pedally days. Were good for lift service on all but the hottest days,

Fox cold weather attack: waiting to test in fall.
i def recommend the poc resistance pro dh gloves. i actually like that they run small since they fit better for my hands and dont bunch up on my calluses, which are just caused from lifting. these gloves hold up really well, even after a bunch of my stupid crashes

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I ride in regular mechanix gloves. I've never had a problem with them.

Well, actually, strike that, the pair I have is the standard pair. It has a velcro closure, and it sometimes presses the "pause" button on my GPS watch. I may go for an elastic cuff next time.

I have a buddy who has been seriously riding for a few decades. He told me he's tried nearly every brand out there. You know what he rides in? The Home Depot generic mechanics gloves.

I do have a pair of cooler weather riding gloves (giros maybe?), they seem fine, although, they do have less use than the Mechanix gloves, and I do see a few loose threads on them.

·
Robertson
1,032 Posts
The most durable pair of gloves I've owned is the normal weight Tasco MTB. My last pair lasted for 14 months, using only those riding at least once a week and plenty of crash testing! After all that time, including laundry with washing and drying machines (which I'm sure affected their longevity) they were still in one piece with just a few loose threads here or there. I just bought a new pair and will keep the old ones as spares. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm trying handup gloves now.
My giros didn't last and I wasn't impressed from day 1.
The handup are comfortable and fit nice. If they last half of the summer riding season I'll be happy.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy Endura. I bought a pair thinking they'd be quality especially given the price, but after about a dozen rides they're falling apart.

I've since purchased 2 pairs of Troy Lee Air gloves and they're by far my favorite, and are holding up very well.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so after reading I think it makes sense to from cheap to expensive here.

I will try TASCO and Handup, can't quite get myself to shell out that much for POC unless it's my last resort.
If those end up sucking I guess I'll give the higher end FOXes a try. The Mechanix, but I'd rather not, they look quite hot and bulky.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ive been riding Fox Attack gloves for over a year now and love them. Only because I got them for $12.
They have been holding up well and have just recently got a small hole starting along a seam down the side of my index finger. Easily fixable; I'll sew it.
I fear I'm spoiled now and won't know where to find another pair for that price when needed.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Searching for fist gloves throws quite a lot of random results at me. What model do you run?
Try optimizing your search by using the search term "fisting gloves" and let us know if that helps :lol:

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Alright, so after reading I think it makes sense to from cheap to expensive here.

I will try TASCO and Handup, can't quite get myself to shell out that much for POC unless it's my last resort.
If those end up sucking I guess I'll give the higher end FOXes a try. The Mechanix, but I'd rather not, they look quite hot and bulky.

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah I am with your.. hard to pay that much for gloves but really is a case of "you get what you pay for."

I was my gloves in the laundry but hang dry them and they are all still going strong. Out of the "normal" store brands I really liked the Giro DND as they felt "burlier" than others in the past. But anyways, give the HandUP and Tasco a try. Look on YouTube from guys like BKXC, Singletrack Sampler and B1KER B1 to see if any of their videos have coupon codes. Robert (B1KER) is usually pretty active on these forums, especially in the Norcal forums.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.