Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glove style

Hey everyone,

It's long past time to get some decent gloves for trail riding, but the question of "full-finger" or "fingerless" naturally comes up. What do you guys/gals prefer and why? Is it mainly based on preference? I've never been much for gloves for protection (my hands are callused and pretty tough from scars and weightlifting), but I'd like something that will help with my grip and give me some cushion. Fingerless seems like the "logical" choice for me, but I notice a lot of you have mentioned that you use full-finger gloves.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Its probably personal preference. I go from no gloves to full fingered. My most recent purchase was a pair of Louis Garneau full fingered gloves that breath pretty well and can be worn during warm weather. For cool weather I like Goretex gloves-full finger. Most of the time I wear fingerless gel gloves-whatever is cheapest. If you have the money go with Pear Izumi-those are the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Full fingered are the way to go for me. I like Fox Incline, not too much padding in the palm and my hands don't get too hot, even in the hot So. Cal summers.

·
local trails rider
12,294 Posts
Full finger
for protection against
- scrapes from the vegetation.
- that time you crash and go into the sharp rocks
- the spill you take on sand/concrete/gravel/you name it (my shins are still scarred from the one I had in a park last year. My hands hit the sand on the wet wooden bridge at about the same time as my knees but the hands were covered.)

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, seems the overwhelming majority prefers the full-fingered variety. Thanks for all your responses! :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, apparently there has to be one guy who always swims against the tide, huh? I wear half-finger gloves and am proud to do so! The reason, you ask? I haven't found a pair of full-finger gloves that feel good to me, and I like the additional lever feel that's transmitted via the skin contact. Don't get me wrong, I've endoed and cut up my fingers, but I've seen friends endo and break their fingers when wearing full-finger gloves, so I'm willing to take the "extra risk." It comes down to personal preference, and cut-offs are mine.

Let the hate mail begin!

Ross

·
Riding free's the mind
1,019 Posts
Full

I have to add to the full finger recommendation for a few reasons.

1) Sweat- XC bikers do a lot of climbing at slow speeds, my hands sweat a lot and I find that on steep climbs, it helps to have extra grip at the finger tips when really pulling the bars. Plus is makes shifting easier- mtn bike shifters take a bit more force to click.

2 ) Braking- Mtn bikers also brake a lot more and for longer periods, full-finger gloves offer more grip, whether sweating, muddy, or dusty.

3) Protection- As mentioned, blasting through tight single tracks can yield cuts and scrapes from branches and other debris whipping by.

There are some good light weight full-finger gloves out there that breath well- Louise Garneau are a good example, but I currently use Fox gloves. Didn't care for Pearl Izumi's offerings, they put too much gel padding in the palm which probably helps road bikers, but gets in the way of getting a good grip on mtn bars (plus we have suspension).

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
I wear both.

I have a full finger gloves that I wear when it is cold. And a pair of fingerless when it is warm.

I don't wear the gloves for hand protection like some others have mentioned, I wear them because either they eliminate blisters or keep my hands warm. I have never had an injury to my hands that gloves would have lessened, but maybe I have been lucky?

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I have both but only use full fingered.

Better protection on falls and better feeling on the lever (to me).
I don't like much padding in the palms so that rules out many FF gloves like Pear Izumi. I use Fox Incline. Inexpensive, lightweight, virtually no palm padding and a mesh back.

·
Was that a Bobcat?
610 Posts
I've tried both

I've tried both but found that full fingers were the best option. For warmer temps I use gloves with good ventalation and just the opposite for cooler temps. I just prefer the protection that full finger gloves gives (for that just in case scenario). Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.