Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yestaerday I commuted a personal bestof 26 degrees with a wind chill around 22.
Thanks to the great advice on layering I was almost to warm. one glarining and painful mis step was my gloves. Work gloves with vasaline smeared on my hands and then a pair of latex gloves and then the work gloves.

I'm looking for suggestions on cheap gloves or farmer tricks to keep my hands warm.
thx

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
I was gonna suggest the lost and found at your local ski area (nothing anyone's attached to, just that "black pair I lost last year"), but that probably won't work in TX. Hard to imitate good gloves...maybe some wool sox (if u have them) over the work gloves with a hole for your thumb? Or some thin cheapie knit gloves (may be more selection in women's sec.) if they'll fit under the work gloves.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
I've had success with Pearl Izumi Cyclone cycling gloves. Goos grip, some gel padding and they keep your hands from going numb. With a wind chill of 22 you might want to use them with a liner. Anything colder and you might want to go with a mitten like Normbilt suggested. Maybe Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I wear smartwool glove liners under other gloves. One day in single digit temps (F), I tried tripling up w/ a vanishingly thin fleece liner under the smartwool liner, and it was a catastrophe. Had to stop mid-commute to take off the fleece layer.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi windstopper gloves that are good down to 28 or so... then I go to the Lobsters, which I've used down to 1 degree F. I'd call them "comfortable" between 10 and 25. I get tingly with them in the single digits, and sweaty hands above 25.

For cheap options, off-brand snowboard/ski gloves is where it's at. They are just bulky.

On another note, I heard Texas was colder than Antarctica the other day... 19* in some part of Texas, and 21* at McMurdo Station. Way to go Texas!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
elvez said:
so yestaerday I commuted a personal bestof 26 degrees with a wind chill around 22.
Thanks to the great advice on layering I was almost to warm. one glarining and painful mis step was my gloves. Work gloves with vasaline smeared on my hands and then a pair of latex gloves and then the work gloves.

I'm looking for suggestions on cheap gloves or farmer tricks to keep my hands warm.
thx
Vaseline!!! lose the vaseline....get a nice pair of winter gloves you want water proof outers, with a liner that can be removed, to clean etc.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302698971&bmUID=1263318330944

I wore them down to -28 C this year for a 25 minute commute, any way for your conditions they would be fine.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
If you're looking for something on the cheap, I have found that leather work gloves, with a liner glove underneath work pretty well down to about mid-20's... for a while at least. The liner gloves you can get (at least around here) sold as "stretch gloves" at your local chain drug store for $2 a pair, buy a couple pairs, they wear out quickly. They are made of acrylic so they insulate pretty well even if they get wet. If you need more warmth than that you'll want to put insulated or lined work gloves on top of the liner gloves. Considering your location I wouldn't bother with anything more than that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This might not be cheap, but I would have to suggest the Bar Mitts. They're not gloves, they're a neoprene cover for the controls on your bars. That way, you can use regular full finger gloves and be just fine, or combine them with winter gloves and you're good to well below zero.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I have considered cutting down some dirt bike hand guards and mounting them to the commuter bike somehow...just the flimsy plastic ones that extend out in front of your hands... I ride the dirt bike with summer gloves down to the low 30's (and at much higher speeds than the bicycle obviously). Stop the wind, stop the cold. Same concept as the Bar Mitts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gary the No-Trash Cougar said:
I've had success with Pearl Izumi Cyclone cycling gloves. Goos grip, some gel padding and they keep your hands from going numb. With a wind chill of 22 you might want to use them with a liner. Anything colder and you might want to go with a mitten like Normbilt suggested. Maybe Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws?
Really? Cyclones? Man, I hated those. They soak up water like a sponge and don't seem to have any insulation in them. Maybe there are different versions of the cyclone because mine are just a nice fitting glove that does nothing well.

Or maybe I'm just a wimp...that could be it.

So far the REI/Novara cold front gloves have worked pretty well for me.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
guys, check elvez's profile. He lives in San Antionio, 26 degrees is probably as cold as it will ever get. I love my poagies for real winter weather, but a few cheap gloves will easily get this guy through a couple chilly days.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
Tweezak said:
Really? Cyclones? Man, I hated those. They soak up water like a sponge and don't seem to have any insulation in them. Maybe there are different versions of the cyclone because mine are just a nice fitting glove that does nothing well.

Or maybe I'm just a wimp...that could be it.

So far the REI/Novara cold front gloves have worked pretty well for me.
It doesn't really get that cold here in the Bay Area, so the lack of insulation is not a problem for me. In fact, I usually don't wear them unless it's below 50 because I just get too hot. Haven't worn them in soaking rain yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a pair of old hunting mitten/gloves convertible gloves. They kick ass because if I get warm, I just flip up the mitten part into gloves... if I get cold, I pull the mitten back down. Get a great grip with em too. My personal best this year is -30F with wind-chill... it was probably a little worse since I was going into the wind the whole time... but yea, toasty hands anyway.

They look kind of like this, but I have full fingers... cutoffs like this might be a little better for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have these Gloves

They keep a good balance of not too warm here in the Bay Area, But I have been to Alaska in Jan/Feb with them and been just fine.

I also saw a guy on a all terrain motorcycle a while back that had what looked like an insulated lunch bag with a slit cut on the side to fit the bar in and then you put your hands down what would be the top of the bag.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ataylor said:
I have these Gloves

They keep a good balance of not too warm here in the Bay Area, But I have been to Alaska in Jan/Feb with them and been just fine.

I also saw a guy on a all terrain motorcycle a while back that had what looked like an insulated lunch bag with a slit cut on the side to fit the bar in and then you put your hands down what would be the top of the bag.
I have those exact same gloves. They work great for me, 15 (air temp) this morning and my coldest with them have been -3

I usually just wear my regular gloves until it hits 45, then i have a thin pair of windproof fleece to take me to 30ish, then the gloves stated work great

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gary the No-Trash Cougar said:
It doesn't really get that cold here in the Bay Area, so the lack of insulation is not a problem for me. In fact, I usually don't wear them unless it's below 50 because I just get too hot. Haven't worn them in soaking rain yet.
Ok...maybe I was expecting too much. I think it was in the low 40s or maybe less. And forget rain with those. They literally suck.

Keep in mind my ride is 15 miles of mostly highway so my hands are exposed for quite a while. Not to mention that rain is usually in the forecast this time of year.

For the 50ish temps when it's raining, the absolute best glove I have found is a glove by Seirus. It's made of something called polartec and it is really simple. No padding or anything but the fabric holds almost no water. Your hands stay warm and dry feeling and the gloves dry out really fast after the ride.

https://www.rei.com/product/743106

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.