Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a pair of crummy Trek gloves... Yet they appear to do the job.

After I was dreanched in sweat after today's ride, I looked in my glove and noticed no wash directions or tags.

Do you wash your gloves? Should I wear these out and regularly rotate and get new gloves?

Is there a life span for gloves?

Might seem like a petty topic, but if this is something you consider or deal with... I wouldn't mind hearing your responce.

S6

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I attach the velcro parts to each other and then put them in the washing machine with my other bike clothes on delicate. Then I dry them in the drier on delicate. I wash my gloves every 4 or 5 rides. Shorts, jersey and socks get washed every ride. Pads in the helmet and my camelbak get washed once or twice a year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hand-wash mine in the bathroom sink.
When I get back from a particularly sweatty/snotty ride, I fill up the bathroom sink w/ warm water and handsoap while I start the shower running for myself. Swish/squeeze the gloves around in the soapy water a few times, then let 'em soak while I hop in the shower.

Hop out of shower, and drain sink and refill w/ warm rinse water. Swish/squeeze gloves again to rinse, and roll them up in my now done-with shower towel to squeeze out the rest of the water. Hang them over the towel bar to dry with the towel and they are ready for tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use a high pressure garden hose and squirt them off and let dry in the driveway. Do the same thing with my helmet, except I don't use such high pressure on the pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't remember washing gloves in the 40 years I've used them. My hands don't sweat so my gloves don't get all that dirty. In the 1960's there wasn't much road racer stuff available in the Las Cruces/El Paso area so I shopped at Casa Velo in Juarez, Mexico. Mexican gloves were pretty good as long as you didn't ride with them in the rain. Get 'em wet and the leather felt like it was coming back alive - slimy - and were like rawhide after they dried.
Helmet pads are an entirely different thing. They get gross from one ride in the summer. After I put my bike away in my shop I remove the Velcroed on pads and squish them between my fingers under running cold water. Damp 'em off on a towel and reVelcro them back in place. Keeps them from getting disgusting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts