Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Enforcer
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
After a season of hard riding my glory is looking a little bit tired sounding a bit noisy so I have decided to rebuild it. Im not the best bike mechanic so I have a few questions regarding the rebuild.
1, whats the best grease to use for pivots, cranks and steerer tubes etc?
2, I had a look inside the spring side of my 40's the other day and there wasnt any oil in them? I checked the manual on fox's website and its didnt say whether replacing the oil was just a flush or there had to be a certain amount of oil in the fork.
3, My paint is looking pretty shoddy so I have been thinking of stripping and polishing my frame. After speaking to my Dad he believes that the frame would corode would be wrecked after a year of riding. - is there anyone out there who has stripped there bike and can confirm/ deny this?
4, I trued my rear wheel the other day, but it still has a pretty good flatspot is there any way to fix this?

Sorry for the long post, I am still learning the mechanical side of things
All replies would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
1. I'd just use heavy marine bearing grease for pretty much everything. good, thick, does the job, and lasts pretty long. park-tool markets it in easy-to-use tubes and a tin with applicator, but that's a little pricey. you can buy a whole tube (think caulking tube) of it at home depot for $6, and use a stiff bristle brush or your finger to apply it where needed.

2. there should probably be oil in there, otherwise your bushings aren't receiving any lubrication. not personally familiar with the 40, but that's pretty much the same for any fork.

3. stripping and polishing wont cause the bike to corrode really. it's aluminum, and will oxidize, but that ends up covering and protecting the underlying metal. basically, you can polish the bike, but it will need a clear coat of paint over the finished polishing to ensure that it doesn;'t oxidize and get cloudy looking. look around, there's tons of threads on how to polish aluminum things on mtbr.

4. depending on where the flatspot is and how bad it is, you may not be able to do anything about it. from the rest of your post, I'm assuming you're newer to bike maintenance type things, so I'd recommend taking the wheel to a good shop and seeing if they can help you out a bit with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.