Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, the dates are settled. November 25 and 26 I'll be organizing shuttle runs down Pinal Mountain, southwest of Globe and home of IMO the best riding in Arizona.I'll be camping at the Upper Pinal Recreation Area the evening of the 24th; any and all are welcome to join me and participate in the Dawn Patrol ride the following morning.

This is an open invite to everyone here. All riders are welcome. That said, here are more details to ensure everyone has a good time and babysitting (i.e. Paul hanging out 45 minutes behind the group getting you to a bailout point) is kept to a minimum:

* The riding on Pinal Mountain is challenging and remote. It is not double-black-diamond difficult and there are no commit-or-die sections. However, there are many, many opportunities to hurt yourself and/or break a bike. If you go down, it may be many hours before you get to a hospital. If you are not confident in your riding and self-rescue skills, please either consider traveling with someone who is, or reconsider doing this ride.

* The type of bike and rider prep I've most often seen in doing these shuttle events for the past 5 years is this: All-mountain longish-travel bike (5-7 inches) and arm/leg armor. None of these are required; I'm just putting out there what I've seen on the trail. This is the setup I'll be bringing. I've done the pressure suit and full-face and I'm feeling like that's overkill. Bring what you'd like, but know that good riders have generally preferred more travel and protection than less. A full DH bike will be very hard to pedal, and there is some pedaling in all five trails. A full XC racer bike will work but you'd better have a solid skill set behind it.

* It is going to be cold. Really, really cold at night. If you're camping, be prepared for winter camping. Winds can be very high. During the day, the top of the mountain will be cold and the desert at the bottom will be warmish-to-perfect, so wear layers.

* Each run is 10-18 miles long and can take as little as 1 hour or as many as 3 hours to ride, depending on rider skill and degree of blowdown on the trail. Combined with a shuttle drive of about 45 minutes, this means each run is a substantial time investment.

All that said, I hope to see plenty of Pinal vets as well as plenty of newbs!

Please RSVP here. I'll post more details to this thread. Calendar linky here.

p.

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Sign us up! PirateGirl and Mr. PirateGirl :)D). My baby Bullit was perfect last time, and I'm sure Zac can't wait to try the Norco. Maybe this time he'll be able to keep up with me. ;)

My only concern is snow. Driving the RV up that road with snow would be a death wish, so as it gets closer, keep us posted on the conditions if you have any contact with your ranger buddies.

What kind of pie do you want? :)

·
Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pirate Girl said:
What kind of pie do you want? :)
Must...fight...lewd...comment...whew, that was close.

I'm thinking a Jack Daniels Pecan Pie from Rock Springs Cafe would be a sound investment of both gas and time. Maybe this trip will be pie-themed?

I'll keep an eye on the weather, that's for sure.

p.

·
Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JrockFeltaz said:
Paul,

Id like to join you guys on this trip. I don't have a big bike at the present time. any recomendations on who to contact about big bike rentals?

Thanks,

Jason
Chat with someone @ Cactus Bike, maybe? They're the ones I know best and they seem to have a very supportive vibe there. Don't know if they have big bike rentals, though. Ask.

If you're very comfortable on your bike and have taken it down the harder stuff in Phoenix (National, Geronimo) and Tucson (Milagrosa, Oracle Ridge) you may not "need" a bigger bike. Nothing on Pinal Mountain is any harder than any of those four trails I just listed. The distances are just much longer.

p.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Paul B said:
Chat with someone @ Cactus Bike, maybe? They're the ones I know best and they seem to have a very supportive vibe there. Don't know if they have big bike rentals, though. Ask.

If you're very comfortable on your bike and have taken it down the harder stuff in Phoenix (National, Geronimo) and Tucson (Milagrosa, Oracle Ridge) you may not "need" a bigger bike. Nothing on Pinal Mountain is any harder than any of those four trails I just listed. The distances are just much longer.

p.
Thanks paul! I am very comfortable on my bikes. Hammering all day down hill is pretty hard on my back. so thats why I was looking for a full suspension, not a big bike per se.

·
Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nagaredama said:
For us SoCaler's who have no idea where this, can provide links to the trails?

How many runs can you do in a day?
The trails are on Pinal Mountain, east of Phoenix by about 90 minutes and southwest of Globe. Look at a state map and follow US 60 east out of Phoenix. Here's a link describing the trails from our "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" sticky.

Strong/fast groups can get as many as 4 rides in a day if they start by camping the night before and maintain good logistical discipline. More typical is 2-3 rides. They're long, 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on the trail, mechanicals, and skill.

p.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Paul B said:
The trails are on Pinal Mountain, east of Phoenix by about 90 minutes and southwest of Globe. Look at a state map and follow US 60 east out of Phoenix. Here's a link describing the trails from our "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" sticky.

Strong/fast groups can get as many as 4 rides in a day if they start by camping the night before and maintain good logistical discipline. More typical is 2-3 rides. They're long, 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on the trail, mechanicals, and skill.

p.
Paul, when you get around to posting directions, Hill Street is the proper right hand turn off of 60. Remember there is signage in two places and the first one is much more obvious, not only because it's first.

·
3,048 Posts
Paul B said:

p.
Care to provide, say, an Elden analogy for those of us that stay away from the heat? (We talkin' Ricochet or Wasabi?)

"Winter camping" sounds excellent.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,353 Posts
Paul,

I think last trip we cleaned up six shooter in about an hour with no mechanicals. That's keeping a good pace. I can't really compare Pinal to anything else in the state which is odd. I took my Spec big hit on the last two trips and it was fun on the fast sections but the climbs were tough. Like Paul said a good all mountain bike 5-7inch travel is going to do the trick. Also bail out sections are slim to none so be prepared. Just my .02. Oh and btw I'm in for Saturday.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.