Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's winter treating you guys where you are? This past week, we were into our fifth day of snow, and a record low for Saxony, at -26C. Bike commuting is out of the question, and one cool thing I'm seeing people do is commuting to work using XC skis.

My gf and I were out riding the nearby forest today and it was packed with cross country skiiers and we were two of three bicyclists out. We had to stick to bigger service trails, but it was still a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Dresden...

Beautiful pictures....looks like a nice spot to ride in winter....we have 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground....over a base of about 3 inches of hardpack/ice. Were skiing at this point. Thx for sharing the pictures.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Yeah, from what I hear, global warming means like, you know, putting the earth in a toaster oven, and the whole thing just gets hot, like a bagel. There's no delicate complexity to climate systems to get muddled up and send the cold weather to hot places and hot weather to cold places, exacerbate extreme weather, and cause more and bigger screwey storms... not that any of it matters, cause arguments about the ethics of wanton destruction of life on earth aside, we certainly don't depend on the natural world for food or water or air, and tropical storms have no effect on anything... Also, the earth looks flat so it is, and I don't see people evolving from apes so that doesn't happen either, and when I look up at the sky all I see are little points of light, so those must be painted on a glass sphere over our heads.

What, you thought you weren't going to hear it? Every time it gets cold out, somebody takes it as clinching proof that the whole earth is experiencing what they are.

It was 82 here today. It's not supposed to be. Nice to see who got our fresh cold air. I'd say the heat is great for MTB'ing, but since we got this warm dirty air, everyone here has been too busy getting sick from it to ride.

·
Registered
156 Posts
HotBlack said:
Yeah, from what I hear, global warming means like, you know, putting the earth in a toaster oven, and the whole thing just gets hot, like a bagel. There's no delicate complexity to climate systems to get muddled up and send the cold weather to hot places and hot weather to cold places, exacerbate extreme weather, and cause more and bigger screwey storms... not that any of it matters, cause arguments about the ethics of wanton destruction of life on earth aside, we certainly don't depend on the natural world for food or water or air, and tropical storms have no effect on anything... Also, the earth looks flat so it is, and I don't see people evolving from apes so that doesn't happen either, and when I look up at the sky all I see are little points of light, so those must be painted on a glass sphere over our heads.

What, you thought you weren't going to hear it? Every time it gets cold out, somebody takes it as clinching proof that the whole earth is experiencing what they are.

It was 82 here today. It's not supposed to be. Nice to see who got our fresh cold air. I'd say the heat is great for MTB'ing, but since we got this warm dirty air, everyone here has been too busy getting sick from it to ride.
Pretty nieve of you to think you know where or when it should be cold or hot. The earth's been here for millions of years and you assume you or any one else knows what's normal. Unfortunately the human race has no idea what's normal. Bigger storms may be the norm. We've been warming since the last ice age and will continue till the cycle moves in the other direction which some scientist think is happening soon. 95% of all life that's ever lived on earth is extinct and us pitiful humans had nothing to do with it. Species go extinct every day that we know nothing about. In history humans moved when the climate shifted, now for some reason we think we can spend enough money and change the climate to suit us. SAD!

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
HotBlack said:

Global warming is a farce. In fact, the earth is getting colder. BTW, it's 12 degrees with a wind chill of -4 degrees in Atlanta, GA this AM......:p

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
austin_bike said:
Nice pics. It was warmer when I was there:

My company has its manufacturing facilities n dresden, it's a very interesting place. If I am in town, is there a place to hire a bike for the day and ride?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've had some luck shopping at a small shop which is the storefront for bike24.de Good staff there, but I don't think they have a selection big enough to rent.

There's also a bike shop on the corner of Konigsbruckestrasse and Bischofsweg in the Neustadt, with dozens of bikes outside, and I would think they would be the ones to go to.

Is your company North, towards Klotsche?

·
Pretty in Pink
628 Posts
-32f this morning when I woke up, windchill had to be near -50 or so. Im not such a fan of trying to heat a 150 year old 5 bedroom house in this weather.

Anyway, nice photos, people here XC ski to work regularly in the winter time, personally I am a snowmachine kind of gal, my work is a little too far (52 miles) and I need to be there a little too early to wake up dress up and commute via bike or XC, snowmachine is actually a little shorter of a ride than car (46 miles), I can make the trip in about the same amount of time if the trails are good.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Wow! That looks a lot like Pittsburgh! Cool pics too! I love snow riding when it is packed down and grippy! People are always amazed when they see someone on a bike hitting the trails w/snow/ice on the ground!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Roswell52 said:
Global warming is a farce. In fact, the earth is getting colder. BTW, it's 12 degrees with a wind chill of -4 degrees in Atlanta, GA this AM......:p
which will happen with "global warming". as the temps rise on the north/south poles, the sea ice and claciers will melt, draining cold water into the oceans and releasing cold air into the atmosphere. this will chill the atmosphere, and slightly lower the temperatures of the water closer to the equator untill enough of that ice is gone that it won't have a cooling effect on the earth's atmosphere in general. at least, that's how global warming theorists have been explainging it for quite some time now.

i'm not a scientist and have no desire to be one though, and blindly clinging to one scientific ideology and denouncing all others is about on par with religious nuts of all orders. so i'm not putting all my eggs in the global warming basket. but it can't hurt to try to make ourselves have less of an impact on the earth. there's no way that it wont improve our lives, so why not?

oh, and right now, at 8:32AM in the middle of january, in about 40 miles north of Anchorage Alaska, where i am right now, it's 44 degrees outside.....:madmax:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
HotBlack said:

Wow! I actually agree with you. Who'd thought.:eekster:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.