Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Will be visiting Glendora from the Uk in April-ish, Based at my nieces shown in the link below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...num=1&ct=title

So what trails do I have to ride?
Can I pedal to any from the house?
Any trail centres in the area?
Any decent bike shops to rent or buy a bike from?
Anyone in the area that would be happy to ride with?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

daj

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Several trails in the immediate area. Monroe Truck Trail is the closest, while not very technical, it's a great trainer with a ~7 mile climb. Nice view on a clear day. If you want to go more epic then travel deeper into the mountains. I live 3 miles South of Glendora and would be happy to ride with you. Chumbacabra rides Monroe weekly and I'm sure you wouldn't have to twist his arm too hard either.
Incycle is the closest bike shops and one of the better ones in Southern California. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Marshall Canyon in La Verne isn't too far from Glendora. Nice combination of trails and fire roads, I ride there whenever I'm in the area and have some extra time. IMHO Incycle would probably be the best bike shop in the area. Not sure if they rent bikes or not, but they have a good selection and they know what they're doing. I know they used to have trail maps of local rides.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Margaritaman and Felix, Have had a look at Incycle Website they are doing a very temping prices on Hecklers ;o) .

It would be an honour to ride with any of you, We have not got a date set yet but its looking like April for about 3 weeks ..... Cannot wait !!

·
Registered
528 Posts
D3DO said:
If I had to pick between Monroe and Marshall, I am going with Marshall (unless it is a weekend).
What do you guys think?
I think Marshall is so-so. Its nice to be under the trees but much of the ride is on fire road or wide single track. For a more remote experience Monroe is much better. You get better trail, more technical, and better view. It is a bit tight with brush in a few spots, nothing that light pads on long pants won't cure.

Daj,
Hit me up when it gets closer. I'd love to show you around. There is also Bonelli Park. It's not technical, but in spring it can be quite nice looking. There are some pretty steep but short climbs that'll get you HR up to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
frana said:
Lower Monroe truck trail can be very washed out after rains. Hike a bike kind of stuff for longer than you would like. Once on dry trail it is very nice. Probably better to ride late spring/summer.
This has been the case in past winters. So far it is holding up great. No HAB and the bottom has become substantially easier. I haven't had to touch down in weeks. I still say its the best trail in the area, and is rather lightly used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its looking like I should be getting over in the first few days of April !! ;o)

Does anyone have photos or links to videos of this trails.... Tease the taste buds!! ;o)

best regards

daj

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah,
Monroe Truck Trail is right off GMR. Its 7 miles 2,000' up, then back. Nice single track almost the whole way. I may be able to get out tomorrow around 12:00. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flights booked now!! will be arriving 31st of March to the 22nd of April ;o)

Any ideas on what I need to bring would be good? Take it I dont need my thermal layers that im wearing here at the moment? Im sure I saw some photos on the Web of people biking up the mountain with body armor on there rucksacks?

Getting dead excited .... Can you tell?

Best regards

daj

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you have lights, and like adventure. Bring 'em. We ride every Weds night and its a hoot. Also although the days are typically nice, it can get chilly is your riding early morning or night. Lows in the foothills can get into the 30s (Fahrenheit) so bring clothing appropriate to that. I usually wear shorts and long sleeve up then throw on a shell for the downhill.
Things are greening up. You picked a great time to visit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replys, Very kind offer for lending of bikes. Hoping to get something out there to bring back as we are not sightseeing over there so will be kicking around lots planning to spend as much of it riding.

Im well into my retro bikes if you see anything local for sale? ;o)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.