Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for glasses that don't fog. If you live in the midwest or the northeast you will know what I mean. I have a pair of glasses that I like except that when climbing or riding in cool to cold conditions they do fog up.

I looked in the reviews and really couldn't make a dicision. I think the variety of conditions makes for a direct comparison difficult.

I have a small face so something smaller would be better. Cost is not really that important as long as they work, have options for different light levels, are light/comfortable and durable. Oh yeah, and they don't fog.

Anyone have comments on the new Specialized glasses? Looks like they would be nice except doesn't seem to offer much ventilation.

Thanks.

p.s. Mostly looking for recommendations from folks who ride in conditions that are prone to fogging.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Try this before you go and spend a millyun dollars. Grab some ivory soap and a super soft cloth. Gently apply a small amount on both sides of the lenses of some glasses to a sheen. Of course your lenses will be slightly fogged but heck nothing is totally perfect when it's free.....

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I'd go with Oakleys... I've been wearing them for some time (Half-Jackets...) They're a bit pricy, but they're durable, fight well, lightweight, and the interchangable lenses are key. The key factor to the fogging is the lenses, and as we all know, lenses don't last forever until they're all scratched up. My Half Jackets have proven to be money, changing lenses is awesome--I can run a higher quality (and more expensive Polarized and coated lens) for when I really need them, and then take them out and replace them with cheaper lenses; this keeps the better lens scratch-free for a longer time...

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Try Fogtech first. I tried several other anti-fogging measures and this one definitely works for me. http://fogtech.com
Cat Crap (the wax product, not the real thing!) works well too.

My Smith Sliders fog up sometimes from perspiration getting trapped under the lenses. Now that the lenses are pretty beaten up and ready to be replaced anyway, I'm thinking about drilling itty-bitty little ventilation holes along the edge of the lenses and seeing how that works.

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts
just spit on the lenses

Scuba divers just use saliva as an anti-fogging measure with their goggles. Much cheaper than anything that is sold over the counter and readily available :p

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I have the Specialized

glasses and they work great - especially their "auto-tinting feature". They are vented so they won't fog as long as your moving (even on slow long climbs). They will fog a little when you're stopped though - but will clear up quick.

I also have small melon so I got the "singletracks".

Only drawback is that they're a little expensive

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,190 Posts
This is why forums kinda suck. I just did a search for this same problem/question and ended up on a thread who’s last post was 16 years ago. Friggin smart phones didn’t even exist yet.
Lmao back before smart phones… how did we even get on the internet? Crazy times.

I’m half blind and have never found a solution to keep my glasses from fogging. Best I’ve come up with is to remove them when climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I won a big gift card for Ryder eyewear a few years back. I had never heard of them before. Snagged two pairs of sunglasses that have been in regular rotation ever since. The glasses I bought with the Fyre lense technology have the best anti-fog I've ever seen. Initially, I was like, man these are hard to clean because I cannot get any moisture to stick to the back of the lenses. Then I realized that it was the anti-fog treatment.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,021 Posts
Yep, ever notice the people who claim to have solutions don't actually have to wear glasses?

Nothing actually works. When I'm fogging up here in the cold, even cleaning the fog off of a lens fogs the other lens. It fogs in my hand, just the warmth and moisture of my hand being nearby. Same with my face, fogs on the face with no mask or anything. If you stop, you have to put the glasses on last, but even the fraction of a second it takes to put the glasses on and start pedaling often fogs them over to the point where you can't see good enough to stay on the bike. Cat crap, soap, cleaning, venting, coatings, etc., it's all worthless. Or maybe it kinda works in situations and environments where the fogging isn't really a big problem. Whatever, we can send people to the moon, but we can't fix this one issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have and use a pair of the half jackets too. They’re ok when you’re moving (like on a road bike) but if on the trails on a climb or slow going, mine fog up and are pretty worthless. Wondering if the Oakley Radar Evo with the vent holes up top solve that problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I try to keep some air vent open to keep glasses clear. When I stop, I immediately bring them down to tip of my nose.

I think the technique is just as important as the glasses itself.

Fyi, I am not biking when extremely cold, so I can have some breathability.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I try to keep some air vent open to keep glasses clear. When I stop, I immediately bring them down to tip of my nose.

I think the technique is just as important as the glasses itself.

Fyi, I am not biking when extremely cold, so I can have some breathability.
Yeah, I do all that too. The problem is, is that I typically ride trails along a lake that rise and fall and have constant elevation changes, and taking a hand off the bars while climbing to move the glasses away from my face isn’t possible. And If I stop the glasses fog up….if I take them off when I stop, great, but when I put them back on and start going again they fog up, so it’s damned if I do, damned if I don’t. I’m aware “technique is just as important” but I’m here looking for suggestions on a pair of glasses that vent and don’t fog up so easily so I can put more focus on my riding technique rather than my glasses position on my nose technique.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use anti-fog safety glasses and don't ever have an issue. I've always been a guy who looks toward better eyewear, but since using these I don't know that they complain. They keep me riding in glasses all through the damp months in the northeast. There are still a few days here or there that it's just too moist, but it gets me through 98% of my rides.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,021 Posts
Anti-fog glasses:
Glasses Goggles Hood Sunglasses Vision care
Glasses Light Hood Blue Azure

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.