Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need my prescription glasses (only have a 'script for the left eye) to ride, but it sure is nice. So then, prescription sunglasses or contacts and normal shades?

I like my existing 'sript glasses, but want a pair with modular lenses. If even possible, this seems like it would be expensive. Yet with contacts (which I've never had) I worry about getting dust and crap in my eyes.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rudy Project Horus FTW

ionsmuse said:
I don't need my prescription glasses (only have a 'script for the left eye) to ride, but it sure is nice. So then, prescription sunglasses or contacts and normal shades?

I like my existing 'sript glasses, but want a pair with modular lenses. If even possible, this seems like it would be expensive. Yet with contacts (which I've never had) I worry about getting dust and crap in my eyes.

Thoughts?
First off, let me say that I don't work for any eyewear companies, so any raving reviews are pure with no conflicts of interest.

I am currently totally in love with my glasses from Rudy Project. :D The model is Horus, and with them you can get prescription lenses put directly in the frame. What's more, the lenses can be swapped in and out. So if you want to you could buy a set of dark lenses and light lenses and swap them in and out depending on the light conditions of your ride. They fit great, they snug to the face well, they don't slop around, and they look just like other high end sports glasses. Ie, they don't look like some of the dorky answers that manufacturers came up with for the answer to prescriptions.

I currently own and have a pair of these glasses with dark lenses, and just bought but haven't yet received a pair of glasses with transition lenses that change darkness with the light conditions. I have vision insurance that reimburses me for glasses, so it actually made more sense for me to buy a full pair of glasses and get paid back than to buy just lenses and not get paid back. Otherwise, if it was my own money, I would have simply bought a second pair of lenses and swapped them in and out.

I bought the first pair through my LBS, which was a Rudy Project retailer. However, when I tried to get a second pair through the same LBS I couldn't. Apparently Rudy Project is no longer letting anyone but certified places that sell prescription glasses on a regular basis sell the Horus with prescription. This meant no team discount for my second pair, and no possibility of online sales. I went to a local eyeglass store, the only place in town who carried Rudy Project, and they were about 15% more expensive than MSRP. But, with the insurance reimbursement, I was golden even with an expensive pair of glasses. In the end the transition lense glasses were about $400 after taxes and after the silly high price my store charged. Less fancy solid dark or solid light lenses would have been cheaper by about $70, on the order of $330. Non-prescription Horuses cost about $200.

In the past I used Bolle's glasses with the prescription insert that sits behind the dark lense. This allowed you to swap out the much cheaper colored part of the lense for different conditions without needing to buy muliple, much more expensive prescription lenses. However, they sucked. The prescription lenses were placed so close to my face that if I sweated at all the sweat would smear up the prescription lense. They were literally millimeters away from my eyeballs, and if pressed all the way onto my face my eyelashes would hit them. The bridge of the insert rested against my eyebrows. Ventilation was terrible as a result, and there were some rides where I was crawling up a long, steep hill at slow speeds, in the sun, and without wind, where the sweat would collect on the insert bridge above my eyebrows, then run into my eyes and blind me.

Did I say they suck yet? So I strongly recommend against an insert that sits behind the normal lenses. The prescription lenses are simply too close to your face.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm using Rec Specs, availble from my local opti-shop. Look dorkulicious, make me feel like Bono. Can change out the Rx lenses. They work, what more can ya say.

dp

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rx

Second the vote against an insert with the prescription lens in it.

Using Oakley M Frame now, other than cost and problems I used to have with base frame cracking (seems to be resolved in newer versions) they are very nice.

Cheers,

·
Registered
545 Posts
a few years back I got my eyes checked since I noticed that road signs at distance were not as clear as they had been . the doc told me I had degraded to 20/20 vision so he recomended I do nothing for my vision.

·
Registered
466 Posts
bd.sahib said:
I'm using Rec Specs, availble from my local opti-shop. Look dorkulicious, make me feel like Bono. Can change out the Rx lenses. They work, what more can ya say.

dp
Ha! I used to use Rec Specs before I got my Bolles! I was just as dorkalicious as you were. Maybe more so, as I showed up for criterium races wearing those things. I would get questions like "Are those racketball glasses?!"

I never felt like Bono, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.