Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are standing at the top of the 'Widow Maker Climb' just before the descent to Little Park Rd. and you look waaay down into the canyon to (what I think is) the South, there is a sweet looking piece of singletrack winding around down at the bottom of the canyon.
What trail is that and how do I get to it?

Thanks~ Scary

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Scary Mc said:
If you are standing at the top of the 'Widow Maker Climb' just before the descent to Little Park Rd. and you look waaay down into the canyon to (what I think is) the South, there is a sweet looking piece of singletrack winding around down at the bottom of the canyon.
What trail is that and how do I get to it?

Thanks~ Scary
The Widowmaker refers to the one steep loose climb about halfway up the lunch loop, it's only 50 yards long or so.... it sounds like you are actually at the "Eagles Nest", the highest point you can ride to on the Lunch Loop proper. Looking south from top o' the widowmaker you'd just see a bunch of trees, and another mile or two of climbing.

Looking south from the nest, however, trails below you are The Ribbon and Andy's, and one other unnamed? trail that goes into the NPS no-bike zone.

BTW, don't descend to Lil park if you're all the way up, follow the ridge up to the west to the Eagles Wing, which becomes the Eagles Tail, and then the Eagles Foote. It's rippin fast tech singletrack, dh to parkinglot. The trail I was riding when your derailler exploded.

If you do descend to Lil park, follow the road up a little bit to singletrack on the right; this will drop you steep through the bentonite, past the natural tunnel, and put you at the interesection of the Ribbon and Andy's. Andy's is to the right, will hike-a-bike out tof the canyon beforing descending and eventually reconnecting with Eagles.

The Ribbon is generally shutled from the top of Lil park, but you can ride up it if you like as well.

Anyways, here is a good map of the area, the map in the OTE book kinda sucks for the Tabbagoochi. This map is still not entirely acurate; the map show Eagles deadending, where the foote switchbacks actually start, and the Holly Cross is left out entirely.

BTW, you should buy this map as well for another $10 bucks, it covers the whole valley. Latitude 40 are good folks out Nederland, CO. In fact, you should buy every map they've ever put out.

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
singletrack said:
The Widowmaker refers to the one steep loose climb about halfway up the lunch loop, it's only 50 yards long or so.... it sounds like you are actually at the "Eagles Nest", the highest point you can ride to on the Lunch Loop proper. Looking south from top o' the widowmaker you'd just see a bunch of trees, and another mile or two of climbing.

Looking south from the nest, however, trails below you are The Ribbon and Andy's, and one other unnamed? trail that goes into the NPS no-bike zone.

BTW, don't descend to Lil park if you're all the way up, follow the ridge up to the west to the Eagles Wing, which becomes the Eagles Tail, and then the Eagles Foote. It's rippin fast tech singletrack, dh to parkinglot. The trail I was riding when your derailler exploded.

If you do descend to Lil park, follow the road up a little bit to singletrack on the right; this will drop you steep through the bentonite, past the natural tunnel, and put you at the interesection of the Ribbon and Andy's. Andy's is to the right, will hike-a-bike out tof the canyon beforing descending and eventually reconnecting with Eagles.

The Ribbon is generally shutled from the top of Lil park, but you can ride up it if you like as well.

Anyways, here is a good map of the area, the map in the OTE book kinda sucks for the Tabbagoochi. It's still not entirely acurate; the map show Eagles deadending, where the foote switchbacks actually start, and the Holly Cross is left out entirely.
I thought the entire climb was called Widowmaker.... My bad. Is that the Latitude 40 map? If so I've got one somewhere....
I'm glad it's not just my imgination that the FFTG section on the Tabluache blows goats.

The 'No Riding Zone' looks like it has great riding....

You riding tomorrow?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts