Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing something different this Christmas and going riding for a few days instead. How is the weather (and more importantly-the trail conditions) there at that time of the year? The other option is SW Utah or around Vegas...
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
419 Posts
who will know

flipnidaho said:
I'm thinking of doing something different this Christmas and going riding for a few days instead. How is the weather (and more importantly-the trail conditions) there at that time of the year? The other option is SW Utah or around Vegas...
Thanks,
Gary
At that time of year. Here in fruita and Grand Junction is iffy. Riding at that time of the year should be done only early in the day an off the trails by Noon. As they start to melt out. Then become a mess. There some trail that you can head to like rabbit valley which can be in better shape for winter riding. But if you going to travel here. I would pick a better time of the year.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Moab

Moab is usually okay but I've never had good luck in Fruita that time of year. Saint George area should be okay. Last year the top of Porcupine rim was covered wih snow and we road up from the highyway and turned around at the 10 mile mark when the snow was getting too deep. We met a guy who had started at the other end and he made it. The other trails were all good though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Lets see. If it rains, the trails are muddy and wet. If it snows, it's covered in white stuff, muddy and wet. If it doesn't snow or rain, then the trails are good. If it's around 32 degrees outside.. then it's cold. If there is no light...then its night time.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
go southwest, maybe I'll join you

flipnidaho said:
... How is the weather (and more importantly-the trail conditions) there at that time of the year? The other option is SW Utah or around Vegas...
You stand a much better chance of good weather and trail conditions down in St George country in December. Fruita/GJ is pretty high elevation compared to other desert destinations. Moab is a little lower, farther south. St. George yet a bit lower and farther south. Vegas a bit lower, a bit farther south...

Man, I need to get to the desert soon. Warmth dammit. Salida is colder than a well digger's lower unit this autumn. Fruita is always going to be warmer than we are, but it's still pretty high there, elevation-wise. I say this as the endless wind brings more 20° air down from the high country here, supposed to be down below zero overnight tonight, sun setting at 4:12pm...

and winter still weeks away!

Wood stove. Wood stove. Wood stove. Wood stove. Wood stove. Wood stove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts