Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im converting an old bike that my GF was making me otherwise throw out/sell rather than just sit around. its mostly going to just get me to class and back, but i want it to be able to hit trails if i end up liking it more than i think. What tooth counts should i go w/? im using old parts sitting around so i can keep $$ to a minimum.. thanks

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
laackund said:
im converting an old bike that my GF was making me otherwise throw out/sell rather than just sit around. its mostly going to just get me to class and back, but i want it to be able to hit trails if i end up liking it more than i think. What tooth counts should i go w/? im using old parts sitting around so i can keep $$ to a minimum.. thanks
I have no idea where you go to college or what the terrain is like, but for the slow, sloping hills of the washington, DC area I go with a 44-14.

As far as hitting the trails with the bike using the same gear you use for commuting, chances are it's not going to happen (at least not right when you first convert the bike). You'll probably find that your commuting ratio is a little too hard for technical singletrack.

We need more details about your terrain, how fast you like to ride, how strong of a rider you are, etc. if we're going to help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
laackund said:
im converting an old bike that my GF was making me otherwise throw out/sell rather than just sit around.
Um, WTF? :skep:

laackund said:
its mostly going to just get me to class and back, but i want it to be able to hit trails if i end up liking it more than i think. What tooth counts should i go w/? im using old parts sitting around so i can keep $$ to a minimum.. thanks
Town gearing and trail gearing differs quite a bit. Enough that there's not going to be an ideal medium unless you live in the hillier areas of San Fransisco. I ride 32:18 off road. Many go down to 32:16. But even with that you are going to have to pedal pretty fast to get anywhere around town.

Just ride the bike around and determine what is going to work for getting to class. Just be aware that you may have to switch to hit the trails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does the bike have a double or triple crankset?
I'm building up a dinglespeed- 2 chainrings, and 2 rear cogs, aiming to use the bike much like you are (more for the trail though).
Got a 42T and 36T, along with 16, 18, and 20 tooth cogs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nutbutterbreath-- sounds pretty weak, i know but i have 5 bikes spread between my studio apt. kitchen and closet sized storage room.

as for terrain, its almost all flat here in grand forks ND, but im not from here originally or intend to stay here when im done in 3 months. on the other hand, 30+ mph winds are normal and just as bad.

I have a 13t in back from my old cassette, der. for tensioner and 22-32-44 in front that i plan on either using the middle ring only or replacing it with something else. I'd take it out for a spin to see how it feels, but im in the process of rebuilding my fork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.