Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 12 years in the Navy, my family I are calling it quits and moving to the Denver area. I know with the economy this is crazy, but we have been planning and preparing for almost a year. The scary thing is that the movers just came and picked up our stuff yesterday, that is not the scary part, the scary part is that we are just going. No job (yet), no house, just a general area that we know we are going to. We are going to be looking in south Denver (englewood, littleton, Highlands Ranch, etc.) Renting for a while until we get our feet under us.

I have been applying for jobs for over six months. I have had probably about 15 interviews, but no offers. It is hard looking for jobs over the internet, so I think I will be more successful once we get there. If I am not able to find any work, the GI Bill will be my savior. I will apply to grad school and have it paid for with some extra money for housing. But this doesnt start until August.

I have been looking at this forum (Colorado Front Range) for the last year, scoping out riding spots and just trying to get a genral idea of the scene there.

We are looking forward to the move, very nervous, but optimistic at the same time. If it wasnt for my wife, we would probably still be in the military, she is very optimistic and thinks everyone will work out.

Give me some good feeling vibes, if there are any out there. What have some of you seen as far as the job market is concerend in the area? Is there any riding down south for weekday rides in the Littleton, Highlands Ranch area? And lastly, anyone looking to hire someone out of the Military?

Thanks guys,

Jason

·
now in superlight!
130 Posts
Welcome to Colorado...not much for sailing from a navy standpoint...but lots o riding to be had!! Depending on where you land, there's trails within minutes of your house. Waterton Canyon will get you to the colorado trail and several very fun and challenging off shoots. And with a 1 hour or so drive any direction (except maybe east- I don't know what's there) your quest for awesome singletrack will be answered. And as the weather gets warmer in spring and summer- epics rides through the rockies!! :thumbsup:

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Jason,
It all depends on what you're looking for. We can go on about bad news, economy and no jobs all day. Reality is there are jobs out there for those correctly qualified people, you just may be in line to get it with a few others. You'll find something.

A few area's are bucking the realestate trend (going up instead of down), Golden is one of them. Not so good news for buys, but great news for owners. Most of the Denver area has been steady or on the decline with home values, so there are deals to be had.

IF you're looking for more military type stuff, Colorado Springs will have it (bring your religion on too). Most companies like the military experience, but it all depends an what you graduated in and what skillz will apply.

Good luck!

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Jason76 said:
After 12 years in the Navy, my family I are calling it quits and moving to the Denver area. I know with the economy this is crazy, but we have been planning and preparing for almost a year. The scary thing is that the movers just came and picked up our stuff yesterday, that is not the scary part, the scary part is that we are just going. No job (yet), no house, just a general area that we know we are going to. We are going to be looking in south Denver (englewood, littleton, Highlands Ranch, etc.) Renting for a while until we get our feet under us.

I have been applying for jobs for over six months. I have had probably about 15 interviews, but no offers. It is hard looking for jobs over the internet, so I think I will be more successful once we get there. If I am not able to find any work, the GI Bill will be my savior. I will apply to grad school and have it paid for with some extra money for housing. But this doesnt start until August.

I have been looking at this forum (Colorado Front Range) for the last year, scoping out riding spots and just trying to get a genral idea of the scene there.

We are looking forward to the move, very nervous, but optimistic at the same time. If it wasnt for my wife, we would probably still be in the military, she is very optimistic and thinks everyone will work out.

Give me some good feeling vibes, if there are any out there. What have some of you seen as far as the job market is concerend in the area? Is there any riding down south for weekday rides in the Littleton, Highlands Ranch area? And lastly, anyone looking to hire someone out of the Military?

Thanks guys,

Jason
Still looking for a Network guru (going on 6 months). Pay's well (80K - 100K based on qualifications), stock options, bonus, good benefits, and a mountain biking boss).

·
what nice teeth you have
712 Posts
Curious as to what you did in the Navy. I got out about 5 years ago and went to school in Fort Collins. I have strong opinions about some of the schools in the area and a possible job lead depending on what you did in the Navy. Send a pm if your interested.

: were you on the Reagan? : never mind, I did the math.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Colorado Springs is pro-military if you are looking for a military related job or potential employers who might value service record. Of course, if you want to attend college, a good choice at this time, the school you choose will determine your location.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys. I have been in aviation management and education management in the Navy for the last twelve years. I got my degree in Management/Computer Information Systems. I just took the GMAT today, not too good, but maybe a good enough score to get accepted to UCD. We will see what happens.

Colorado Springs is out, want to stay away from the military towns, been there, done that. We love the Denver area and are looking forward to moving there, everything we hear is good.

Jason

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You dont say

I have applied to 5 jobs at CU. As a matter of fact, I have an application in for an Academic Advisor position in the Leeds School of Business right now.

The sad thing. I applied for a position in the Financial Aid office, was flown out there for a second interview, and not offered the job. It was my first "in person" interview ever. I was sweating it, nervous, had no idea how to conduct my self at an interview.

So maybe you can mention my name? What do you do at the school?

Jason

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a techy - i do web stuff. Problem is, we're heading into a hiring freeze, but not quite there yet. What kind of job specifically are you looking for?

Jason76 said:
I have applied to 5 jobs at CU. As a matter of fact, I have an application in for an Academic Advisor position in the Leeds School of Business right now.

The sad thing. I applied for a position in the Financial Aid office, was flown out there for a second interview, and not offered the job. It was my first "in person" interview ever. I was sweating it, nervous, had no idea how to conduct my self at an interview.

So maybe you can mention my name? What do you do at the school?

Jason

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks Indecent, I am sure I will, just nervous because I have a family to take of. It is a hard decision, but this is something we really want to do. We love that area and are looking forward to getting back to riding on a weekly basis, instead of yearly. I will be beating down doors once I get there (nicely of course) and I am sure someone will see some good in what I have to offer.

Tictac,
I have been pretty much applying to advisor/counselor/career connections positions. As that is what I did in the military for a couple of years (for military students) it kinds of suits me. Like I said, i have an application in that just closed on the 9th at the Leeds school of business. Professional Academic Advisor. We will see how it goes. The comute would suck since we are going to look at living down in Highlands ranch/Littleton area, but I wouldnt mind one bit.

Now as far as the riding. I have a Titus Motolite and will need some riding buddies when I get there. Single track, moderate down hill, fun technical stuff is what I like. I also like to ride easy stuff to get in quick rides on the week days. Do people get together a lot and ride in groups around there? When I was in Oklahoma, we had a group of about 5 guys that rode often, had a blast doing it.

Thanks guys

Jason

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
I moved here 9 years ago with no job, little money behind us and no kid then and this place has been more than generous for the hard working types. I have never looked back. Real estate here has been hanging tough comparatively to other parts of the country and the builders I've been working with are scooping up property deals and projects are in the works. It's generally slower right now but it probably won't last as long as other area's as the area has a diversified infrastructure of business.
Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jason,
I'm Active Duty Navy serving w/ the FDNF (Yokosuka). Been in for almost 16 years and I think I'm ready to get out too...just have to hang on for 4 more for the full 20.

Too bad you couldn't convince the wife to stay Navy for another 8, but I know how hard it is on the family...just looking at it from a philosophical standpoint of more time behind you than in front of you, ya know?

I'm from Boulder, and a lot of my family still lives in CO. I have *no* intention of going back, but it's nice to visit. I know the job market can be tough because of all the now-displaced CA folks that made a mad rush on Denver in the early-mid 90's. What was your rate specifically?

If you decide on the Highlands Ranch area, then CO Springs isn't too, too far if you *have* to swing it for a while. I saw your reference to riding in OK. Oddly enough, I also served with TACAMO in OKC (all three squadrons at different times) and LOVED it there (I know, most will say/think I'm crazy for not wanting to go back to Denver and loving OKC). OKC and that area was such a big influence on my life, that I'm about 90% sure that I'll retire in Dallas (a stretch from OKC but the scenery doesn't change much).

Are you in OKC now? I rode with a few guys from VQ-7 a few times at Stanley Draper...

Good luck in finding a job!

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
Jason76 said:
Now as far as the riding. I have a Titus Motolite and will need some riding buddies when I get there. Single track, moderate down hill, fun technical stuff is what I like. I also like to ride easy stuff to get in quick rides on the week days. Do people get together a lot and ride in groups around there? When I was in Oklahoma, we had a group of about 5 guys that rode often, had a blast doing it.
Post up for rides when you get here.
A lot of us are always looking for more riding partners - the more partners the better.
Good luck with the job hunt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tacamo

I did work at VQ-7. I was there for a few years, finished my degree at Park university on base. I was the Sudent Control LPO. Very nice job, and a nice place. I rode at Draper on a weekly basis. Loved it. Didnt think much of it at the time, but it is a nice trail.

I am thinking of Reserves to keep my time going, but will wait on disability stuff to see how that goes. Got some medical stuff going on now.

I do miss Oklahoma sometimes, but not enough to want to move back there. Still have a house in Moore, renters in there now, and they should be buying it soon.

So were you aircrew? I am sure we know a lot of the same people as most of those guys never leave there.

Jason

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally here!

Hey guys,
We found a place to stay and will move in on Monday. We found a little condo in a gated community on Bellview and Kipling in Littleton. We are going to be renting for a year and go from there (depending on jobs).

I got a call last week from a Federal Agency that wants to bring me in for an interview as well!! Sounds like a good opportunity, so hopefully it goes through. Soon enough, I will be breaking the bike off the trainer and exploring(weather permitting). This weather is crazy awesome, but I have heard it is going to get bad soon.

Tanks for the info and the words of wisdom. Hope to catch up with some of you on the trails!!

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome!

Family and I just moved to area (470/University) in Sept 2008. Absolutely loving it! Especially these last few days of postcard weather we are having. We also came with no jobs lined up. Scary as hell, isn't it!

Currently, I am still unemployed, but I took a few months to get unpacked, adjusted and enjoy the holidays. From my last couple of interviews, I think I am going to get an offer soon. But I work in the Social Service/non-profit world and decisions are slow to be made with budget considerations, hiring freezes and government timetables.

Riding here is incredible. Waterton Cyn. was mentioned, but also try Deer Creek Cyn when it dries out. Both right off Wadsworth. Not sure how you feel about road riding, but give the trail/bikepath system a chance. Especially around Chatfield Reservoir. Those are from the garage rides. Grab a system map from a bike store and you will be amazed at how extensive it is. Also, usually cleared as fast as the streets after a snowfall.

PM me if you have any questions (remember I just moved here too, so what the hell do I know) or want to get a beer and talk bikes.

Good Luck with the job search,

Tim

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jason76 said:
Hey guys,
We found a place to stay and will move in on Monday. We found a little condo in a gated community on Bellview and Kipling in Littleton. We are going to be renting for a year and go from there (depending on jobs).

I got a call last week from a Federal Agency that wants to bring me in for an interview as well!! Sounds like a good opportunity, so hopefully it goes through. Soon enough, I will be breaking the bike off the trainer and exploring(weather permitting). This weather is crazy awesome, but I have heard it is going to get bad soon.

Tanks for the info and the words of wisdom. Hope to catch up with some of you on the trails!!

Jason
Welcome aboard. Former Navy myself and have been in Highlands Ranch for about a year now. I work for DoD in the area, is the that the agency your interviewing for? Maybe it's my office. We are hiring like crazy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fubuki said:
Welcome aboard. Former Navy myself and have been in Highlands Ranch for about a year now. I work for DoD in the area, is the that the agency your interviewing for? Maybe it's my office. We are hiring like crazy.
Hey fubuki,

Actually I just got the good news yesterday afteernoon. I got picked up through the FCIP program in Lakewood. Not sure of the start date yet,

PM me with where you work and what you do, what are they hiring for?

Jason

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.