Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gila Goo Gah Gathering

***SCHEDULE CHANGE*** (at least on my end)

Nothing good ever happens in the Monday morning teleconference.

Our central office has decided we're doing a "Special Event" the week of July 4. Since my job is "marketing and events," that means my approved time off has now been unapproved. This should not affect my weekend days, but it does mean I won't be on-site until sometime on Friday. For anyone looking to arrive early, I can share some ideas and info on things and rides to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver City, NM - July 4,5,6,7,8.

G4 is a total GO!

Sorry if I've been slow on the uptake on the GGGG. I've had an active past couple of weeks prepping and presenting my most recent project, which went off yesterday.

Basically, there is lots of room and not much formality for camping. My crew and I usually just grab spots a bit off the highway by Signal Peak Road. It is at the starting location for the Signal Peak and Tadpole Ridge trails. It is close to other rides as well. I envision a relatively low-key, informal gathering. Folks show up, hang out, ride, have fun. My vote is to do camping (primative) in this area.

A bit more of a drive in on Meadow Creek road (dirt forest road) is a big, beautiful camping area. When we ride the Signal Peak route, we pass through this area. However, using it for camping would require loading bikes and driving to get to the trailheads.

For anyone who isn't into the whole primative camping in the woods thing, a room in Silver and showing up to ride and hang is an option as well.

I'll put some more detailed notes together and post them MTBR style.

Beta (under construtction)

A view from Tadpole Ridge

Wildlife seen on Tadpole Ridge

View from Signal Peak

Photos credit Vladimir Chaloupka

Signal Peak Route

Signal Peak beta link 1

Signal Peak beta link 2

Signal Peak beta link 3

Current itinerary:

Early arrival and general knockabout and recon on July 4 (Wednesday).

A ride TBA on Thursday.

A ride TBA on Friday.

The Tadpole Ridge Trail on Saturday.

The Signal Peak Challenge route on Sunday.

Whatever other deviousness a bunch of loopy bikers can conspire to.

Where the **** is it and how do I get there?

The action is appx 15 miles north of Silver City, NM. Drive north from Silver City on Hwy NM 15 - drive through and past Pinos Altos - after the Cherry Creek and McMillan campgrounds you cross a cattle guard - very soon an unmarked, dirt, forest road (Signal Peak Road) appears on your right - turn right and proceed to the G4 Command Center.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
LCdaveH said:
Silver City, NM - July 4,5,6,7,8.

Sorry if I've been slow on the uptake on the GGGG. I've had an active past couple of weeks prepping and presenting my most recent project, which went off yesterday.
Dave, YOU are a nut. I'm looking to be there friday - sunday, though likely arriving friday afternoon +/-.

Great job at TdEP - awesome to see the local businesses / sponosors / community so involved and supportive of a biking event - even if it is on skinny tires.

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
Dave:

I think it's totally cool that you've stepped up to host an MTBR gathering (as if you don't already do enough for cycling in NM). Since it doesn't seem like anyone is going to put together a Gaspin' in the Aspens this year, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to call your gathering by that name (surely there are aspens in the Gila). That way, there will be more name recognition among the MTBR folks and it won't seem like us New Messicans totally lamed out and let BrianC's creation just die. Just a thought. Also, it's probably worth advertising a bit on the Passion forum.

I will likely be coming down with Glen even though heading south in the heat of the summer is counter-intuitive to me. Never been biking in those parts and I might do the race later on in the year so it'd be good to get a preview.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rs3o said:
Dave:

I think it's totally cool that you've stepped up to host an MTBR gathering (as if you don't already do enough for cycling in NM). Since it doesn't seem like anyone is going to put together a Gaspin' in the Aspens this year, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to call your gathering by that name (surely there are aspens in the Gila). That way, there will be more name recognition among the MTBR folks and it won't seem like us New Messicans totally lamed out and let BrianC's creation just die. Just a thought. Also, it's probably worth advertising a bit on the Passion forum.

I will likely be coming down with Glen even though heading south in the heat of the summer is counter-intuitive to me. Never been biking in those parts and I might do the race later on in the year so it'd be good to get a preview.
G4 '07 - Aspen Quest

OK, I can go for that. Just so long as I don't get crushed by the heightened expectations. And some dirt hammers better get in, or else the fastbreakers are gonna get impatient behind my B-Ride pace.

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
B-ride pace is the pace for me! I'm still in, Dave, and I think a couple of my riding buds may be making the trip, too. Thanks!
- Joe

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
makachut said:
Gosh darn it.It's the same weekend as the Santa Fe big friggin loop in the endurance rides series and not to mention the fantastic event in Crusty Butt,Colorado on the 4th
Ah - forgot freakin CB100 is then too. As for CrazyMattsRideEverythingInSantaFe 'race' - I'd be toast at Chamisa - the frst climb up & in! Of course, I'll "do it" if I don't get down to G4... but rs3o and I have already started preliminary scheming....

Joe! B ride pace for sure - though I'm up for long B-rdie pace rides when and wherever nowadays...

And RICH! The Signal Peak race...? Or some other SAR Adventure race mania??? I'd bring the family down just to cheer you on (and eat the pit BBQ the night before). It is an excellent event put on by some fine folks, and as fellow NMORS promoters, perhaps we SHOULD be there...

Yeeaahhhh... makin' excuses to ride!

g

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
LCdaveH said:
G4 '07 - Aspen Quest

OK, I can go for that. Just so long as I don't get crushed by the heightened expectations. And some dirt hammers better get in, or else the fastbreakers are gonna get impatient behind my B-Ride pace.
How 'bout crossover racer-has-beens, aka "Dirt Breakers" (?)...

Hammer FASTERS?

Break dancers?

Did someone say BreakFAST?

Mmmmmm......

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
DurtGurl said:
I'm still planning on packing the fuzzy kids and the Salsa in the 4Runner and heading next door to join the fun.
Good good GOOD! I think it'll take less time for you guys from PHX to get there than us kooks from the north.

LOL - 'fuzzy kids'.

FWIW - those that pass by it, or don't and would need to make a quick side-trip, the absolutely mind-boggling enormous open-pit copper mine known as Santa Rita is worth seeing - just east of Silver City.

Those big rocky "mountains" near the mine are the tailings.

Maybe it's me - but the enormity (?) of it all makes my head spin, and I always stop, right off the side of the highway at the observation point to soak it up.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have a feeling that the G4 will be more gratifying for us non-racers than the SFBFLoop and especially the CB100. Much kinder pace and a good reason to travel to the south.
I'll also be assembling a group for a big epic/Frakie Flats Fest in the fall, which will include cooler stuff than any previous Santa Fe events have featured. It will include a cool camping area and such. I think we will even have a DJ in the mountains and possibly a keg, so you don't want to miss this one. Not to mention the professional wrench of Frakie Flats. So remember to keep an ear out in the fall and we'll get busy in the alpine areas of the Sangre de Cristos!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
delnorte said:
I have a feeling that the G4 will be more gratifying for us non-racers...
HA! You still have some racer in ya.. I know that.

But for G4 - will you have the bike(s) or ski(s)?

:D

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
isn't the CB100 on the 14th? or is there another good event in CB on the 4th?

the Firecracker in Breck is always on the 4th

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
That's too bad. What happened to the gung-ho ABQ guys that proclaimed last year they were going to step up and have GITA in ABQ this year?

Although, I wish that I was around for the Sliver City rides, I'm not sure that calling it a GITA is a good idea, it's pretty far for the CO types to join in, or for the other types that have flown in, but my largest objection would be the dates. So far as I know, Gita has always been scheduled in the fall (in an attempt to coincide with the change in aspen leaves), and moving it up 3 months puts more squarely in competition with other everts, but more importantly it is a major change in the calendar for people that have consistently attended in the past.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sportsman said:
That's too bad. What happened to the gung-ho ABQ guys that proclaimed last year they were going to step up and have GITA in ABQ this year?

Although, I wish that I was around for the Sliver City rides, I'm not sure that calling it a GITA is a good idea, it's pretty far for the CO types to join in, or for the other types that have flown in, but my largest objection would be the dates. So far as I know, Gita has always been scheduled in the fall (in an attempt to coincide with the change in aspen leaves), and moving it up 3 months puts more squarely in competition with other everts, but more importantly it is a major change in the calendar for people that have consistently attended in the past.
I tend to agree, but I was willing to yield to pressure on the point. (Just a weak willed flip-flopper is what I am).

I think the G4 is its own thing. The first annual G4. Gaspin' without the aspen.

.d.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
glenzx said:
HA! You still have some racer in ya.. I know that.

But for G4 - will you have the bike(s) or ski(s)?

:D
If it's anything like the last time I rode down there (in the summer too), I might need my skis! I'm sure I'll be rolling the BMX bike, as Maka calls it, now that he's a 29'er.
Seriously, keep your options open for the fall. We are gonna have a killer MTB festival.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
glenzx said:
Good good GOOD! I think it'll take less time for you guys from PHX to get there than us kooks from the north.

LOL - 'fuzzy kids'.

FWIW - those that pass by it, or don't and would need to make a quick side-trip, the absolutely mind-boggling enormous open-pit copper mine known as Santa Rita is worth seeing - just east of Silver City.

Those big rocky "mountains" near the mine are the tailings.

Maybe it's me - but the enormity (?) of it all makes my head spin, and I always stop, right off the side of the highway at the observation point to soak it up.
Looking forward to the road trip!! I'll see if I can muster up any interest over on the AZ board.

Don't know if you recall, but I had this habit of gathering geology degrees thru the 80s and 90s. I'd love to visit that open pit mine and would also like to check out the town. I passed thru that area in 95 or 96 and did a short hike on some trail tacked up to the side of a gorge. I remember thinking how cool the area was and how I'd like to get back and explore some day. The time has come!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
DurtGurl said:
...Don't know if you recall, but I had this habit of gathering geology degrees thru the 80s and 90s. I'd love to visit that open pit mine and would also like to check out the town.
Of course! Materials Failure, among other 'applications' for some of those degrees comes to mind, as I recall... as well as an electron microscope used to look at fun stuff - all very cool.

I'll dig out my maps from the one time I was in Silver City and spent some time exploring. There was a ride my wife and I did that went through some private property (with permission), up a rocky hill over some old mining roads/easements. What stuck in my mind is both the property owner and the local gal who directed us, noted to not touch the rocks in a lot of the areas we were riding - not because they're concerned with theft, but there was some sort of metal/heavy metal contamination or residue from the rock we were supposed to be careful of!

Also, right smack in the middle of town is a very cool, funky old Victorian Hotel that was a steal, and sort of throw back with the claw foot tubs and pull-chain toilets!

Not to mention the "old" main street washed away in a huge flood decades ago, and is affectionately called "the big ditch" or something. What had been the rear of a number buildings became the front / street front! It is a gorge perhaps 20-30 feet deep that is now a park. SC is wacky indeed!

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
glenzx said:
I had a bumper sticker on my old truck that said:

"Prevent Forest Fires, Support Strip Mining"

Some self-righteous dufus without of sense of humor tore it off. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.