Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my helmet in the other day, finally took some pictures of it and wrote up a review ( http://tripxamerica.com/?p=60 )

Overall its a sick helmet, but kinda pricey at $130. My friends Fox Flux comes in on tuesday so im gonna compare the two and see, as his was only $99.

Anyone use the Flux or Xen? I really like how the Xen is super light, and covers more like a BMX / Skate helmet.

· Registered
511 Posts
I use a Xen for mountain biking and a Giro Atmos for road riding. I like how the Xen covers more of the back of my head (extends further down toward the neck) and I like the visor, although the visor is kind of loose and flops around a bit. I also like the fit, which is reasonably tight.

BTW- Xens are available on eBay & other online sources for a bunch less than $130.

· I live to bike
2,447 Posts
The Xen is a nice helmet. I used one for a couple years. The fit is great and provides nice air flow and protection. I've moved away from it, though, in favor of Bell helmets -- I have a couple Xrays I really like. The fit is just about as comfortable, and I really prefer the knob adjustment over the roc-loc on the Xen. Once set, the roc-loc is fine, but it's not as quick and easy to adjust as the knob, and I'm constantly going back and forth between wearing a bandana or not depending on the day's weather.

· Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I was torn between the Xen and the Fox Flux. The Fox ended up fitting my head better. Both are nice helmets though.

· Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
PimpinD said:
Vulcan - nice, im excited to see what the flux looks like, i dunno if im too fond of the dual spoiler look though....
I don't think it looks bad when your wearing it. The one funky thing about it is the way the straps attach in the front. They kind of stick out on the sides more than on helmets I've used previously... Just took some getting used to.

I've seriously never had a helmet that fit my head better, though. I put it on at the LBS and knew that this was the helmet I had to get. It felt secure yet still very comfortable before I even took the time to make any adjustments.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Zen Trail

Now you have to try the Zen Trail, west of St. George, UT. Very tough, technical climb and descent. Much more technical than Gooseberry but for MY skill level, not as much fun. If you can do a nose wheelie and turn, you'll find heaven. Not in summer.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
abe - front wheelie and turn? Uhm... i cant even do a regular wheelie for more than 3 pedals and go straight.

Well as im only to review products I purchase Ill have to wait till one member of our crew gets a new helmet or something. The Fox Flux came in today so my friend will bring it by tomorrow.

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,239 Posts
Well you get what you pay for. In my opinion Giro has always made a better quality "bike" helmet than Bell. Although Bell makes some sweet motorcycle helmets they seem to lack in the quality department with bike helmets.

· Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
The Xen is definitely a great helmet. I've had mine for 2 yrs now and when it needs replacing I'll be buying the same helmet. I bought mine when it was on closeout. I bought the previous year model somewhere online (can't remember where though) and got it for around 85 shipped.

· Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
mkirby258 said:
I was super excited when I saw the Nashbar magazine advertising 2007 Xen helmets for $49.00. Unfortunately when I went to buy one they only had some "weird pink design" color in medium & large. Bummer :(
time for a spray can pant job :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.